• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Irritating People

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Irritating People"

Collapse

• escapeUK
    replied
    Where are these places where people are allowed to play music in an office???? I have never seen that (or heard it). Is this some public sector thing?

The most irritating thing for me is women prattling on all day about what their children have done / are doing / said. Men never do this. I dont know if they just realise that no one else is interested, or just arent interested themselves.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaws View Post
    I get irritated by having to listen to my own music whilst trying to concentrate in the open plan / tele-conference office I'm currently at. Found an app called Simply Noise, and just crank up the white noise if I really want to concentrate. It's a bit weird but it does manage to block out all the other noises around me making concentration far easier.
    I think you'd find Guantanamo a holiday to remember!

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    Any of you ever tried those noise-cancelling headphones/earphones things? Some people swear by them, but I find it hard to believe they actually work.
    I get irritated by having to listen to my own music whilst trying to concentrate in the open plan / tele-conference office I'm currently at. Found an app called Simply Noise, and just crank up the white noise if I really want to concentrate. It's a bit weird but it does manage to block out all the other noises around me making concentration far easier.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    People who eat at their desks but can't close their mouths when they do. There is a bloke who sits near me who kind of slurps when he does this also. really annoying. Glad I got a set of them beats headphones!
    That for me is one of the worse office cuisine faux pas ever. I mean, how fecking difficult is eat to keep your gob shut while you trough your processed Tesco swill of trans-fat potato chips and greasy chicken MacBollocks?

One guy (and yes, it's guys mostly) as soon as I heard the rustle of his brown paper nose bag, I simply had to leave the office and go outside, for fear of ramming his duck-in-pancake-roll forcibly down his windpipe and staving his greasy, bald glistening domehead in with his 24" ViewSonic monitor.

And now, I have to suffer the excruciatingly poor food manners of a bloke that must have a megaphone rammed up his nose because whenever he eats his daily "one of my five" vegetables, a large bag of Walker's crisps, it's as though I've stuck my head into the world's most hungriest bone-eating termites nest, the crunching sound is so fecking unbelievably loud.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Any of you ever tried those noise-cancelling headphones/earphones things? Some people swear by them, but I find it hard to believe they actually work.
    They work in an aircraft cockpit, but never tried them in an office environment.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    WSS, and I'm sure it short circuits their brains too!

It's hard to believe anyone with music blaring in their ears can fully concentrate on something else.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Its an interesting thread
    but is it about irritating people
    or irritating people ?

both, because the irritating people are irritating people

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

I try to live with whatever the environment's like at each place I go. However, other people inflicting their musical tastes on me whilst I'm trying to concentrate on technical work is one of the few things I can't tolerate: it just short-circuits my brain in a particular way that makes it no good for software development.
    WSS, and I'm sure it short circuits their brains too!

It's hard to believe anyone with music blaring in their ears can fully concentrate on something else.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 18 July 2012, 16:47.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Its an interesting thread
    but is it about irritating people
    or irritating people ?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    A few years ago I worked at a place that had the local commercial radio station on in the office, piped through speakers built in to the ceiling. Heck, it was even piped into the corridors and the bogs!

There was no point complaining though: the place I was working was the radio station, and most of the office was occupied by the production team for the network evening show

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by farout117 View Post
    You must really be unlucky NWP2C. In all places I have worked, if people want to listen to music, they use headphones. Never met a disco mentality at work.

I am annoyed with the talking some folks do especially in an open office environment, but then I just ask for a quiet room.
    I count myself really lucky actually - the fact I am a contractor makes all this stuff a lot easier to bear. If I was a permie I'd have gone insane by now.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Is there anything worse than having to sit next to someone you find really irritating day after day?

Aren't you generalising here?

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by farout117 View Post
    You must really be unlucky NWP2C. In all places I have worked, if people want to listen to music, they use headphones. Never met a disco mentality at work.

I am annoyed with the talking some folks do especially in an open office environment, but then I just ask for a quiet room.
    Most of the places I've been have been like that too. In the three places I've been where it was a problem, it was one individual in each case that was being inconsiderate. Simply asking that individual to stop in the guise of making a more general request seemed to have the desired effect.

The only other similar thing I've experienced was at my last gig, where there was a guy that used to listen to headphones. I don't know what he was listening to, but every so often he'd stifle a chuckle to himself, which would infect the rest of us and make us laugh as well. I didn't mind that at all since it wasn't a constant interruption and was quite subdued - it was more of a thing that used to make everyone laugh and share a moment whenever it happened.

Leave a comment:

• farout117
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    That's all fine when you are dealing with reasonable people, not a school playground/gang mentality.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    I've noticed it a couple of places I've been. The only way to deal with it is to... ...and ensure they're getting their money's worth.
    Reach over and punch the irritating f*cker's lights out!

Spod - In "YMMV" mode.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X