• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Leaving on Bad Terms"

Collapse

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Yep, we're monkeys with inflated brains.

Next.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    I have not read your post, but I bet that it contains similar misconceptions to those you expressed in your thread about not getting along with your colleagues the other day.

Better off reading that thread again; it sounds like some of the pertinent advice you received therein went over your head.
    With the greatest of respect, you've got me all wrong. There was no pertinent advice in that thread. I feel it did not go over my head but happy to be corrected.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I bet empathy and listening authentically has got f'all to do with it

It's more to do with both parties using proper communication to ensure they both profit from working together. Rather than one party feeling "hard done by"

If you're having to make an effort to "listen authentically" then you're wasting your time and theirs which could be better spent discussing something your both interested in.
    Spot on. When people go out looking for win/lose scenarios, they usually achieve the result they're looking for. It's just which party ends up on the "lose" side of the equation that generally surprises them.

The most difficult thing in the world isn't being clever or being right, it's trying to persuade someone else that you're clever or right. In business, you often need to persuade other people that are behaving foolishly that there's a better way to ensure you can both win out of the situation. If your objective is anything other than that - making the other party admit that you're right or they're being foolish, perhaps - then whilst they might be on to a loser, you'll almost certainly be on to a loser too.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Careful, aussielong gets dangerous when he feels threatened
    Dangerous? Not me. Dangermouse more like.
    Threatened? No need, near retirement now.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    No, I'm not. I'm an expert developer, and development team manager.
    Careful, aussielong gets dangerous when he feels threatened

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    Are you a BA then?
    No, I'm not. I'm an expert developer, and development team manager.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    I have not read your post, but I bet that it contains similar misconceptions to those you expressed in your thread about not getting along with your colleagues the other day.

Better off reading that thread again; it sounds like some of the pertinent advice you received therein went over your head.
    Are you a BA then?

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    I have not read that book but I bet it advises empathy and listening authentically.

Better off reading "the prince" by Machiavelli

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Only some of his mantra is interesting and is distilled nicely into those 48 laws of power.
    He mentioned one piece of advice to rulers several times in his writings - Change laws and customs as little as possible, because that tends to piss people off and unsettle them more than practically anything.

Even William the Conqueror, who massacred tens of thousands of Saxons in 1066 and the years after, changed barely a word of Saxon laws, and that was one major reason his occupation endured. Most got used to his regime, and it was business as usual.

So what to the muppets in the EU do? Change and meddle with every law they can think of, and introduce a torrent of new principles and directives. No wonder they're hated by so many.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    to be aware of Machiavellian tricks and principles maybe, but trying to follow his precepts yourself might not be so smart - Machiavelli was turfed out of office in his 40s, on suspicion of conspiracy, and was unemployed and unemployable for the rest of his days.
    Only some of his mantra is interesting and is distilled nicely into those 48 laws of power.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I have not read that book but I bet it advises empathy and listening authentically.

Better off reading "the prince" by Machiavelli
    to be aware of Machiavellian tricks and principles maybe, but trying to follow his precepts yourself might not be so smart - Machiavelli was turfed out of office in his 40s, on suspicion of conspiracy, and was unemployed and unemployable for the rest of his days.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Have you read the book?
    These are the laws of large groups of people.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Pure evil - something Satan himself would struggle to come up with.
    Have you read the book?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Looks like it's gonna kick off here tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Excellent read. Even if you don't practice this stuff , good to be conscious of what is happening around you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X