• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: BCS

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BCS"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Yes, back in the early 1990s, we were told that if you mentioned PCs in any exam answers you were red-lined - they were just toys [sic] and not part of serious IT solutions. At the time I was using PCs at work and had been for a while. Even the teachers I had on the course thought the BCS were barmy.

They were priceless. I've got other strange memories of my encounters with them, as I suspect many have.
    My boss was also considering doing the BCS certification because they would give him some sort of exam credit based on years of experience, so we discussed the pros and cons at length.

This was back in the late 1970s and BCS had the same attitude about minis. I recall a strong ICL element (well, it was the British Computer Society after all) and both my boss and I wanted to leave that bit of our careers firmly behind us

We both knew that if we mentioned that with our mini based system, 10 minutes after bashing an order in at a terminal a picking list would be printed in the warehouse and goods despatched the same day, we would be in for a spectacular fail.
    Last edited by Sysman; 10 July 2012, 10:13.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Not all nutters are BCS types. I don't mind working with characters with dickie bows, or vintage car enthusiasts.

I used to work for a bloke who rode a penny-farthing 10 miles to work.

And he had the second-longest moustache in the world.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I do not think that being a member of the BCS is helpful in getting business. It gives off the impression that someone is interested in computing for computing's sake, rather than IT being a tool for business.
    What the pimp said.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    I am not sure about the "plummy" stuff but I tend to regard them in the same light as members of the real ale society or classic car clubs.
    You're entirely correct. Premium brand bottle larger and BMW/Audis are the way forward.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Plummy accents, dickie bow ties and double barrelled names
    I tend to regard them in the same light as members of the real ale society or classic car clubs.
    Had the misfortune to work with one of these. He really did wear a dickie bow. I had to fire him from the project as he spent so long preparing to do stuff and seemed never to get round to actually doing it. Urgh.

Sorry for the

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I'd consider the acm instead, they give you a lot of useful online resources, their magazine are fairly decent as well.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    In my second job in IT, management said they'd pay the costs for me to do the exams, but quite frankly at that stage in my career I was laready putting in lots of hours and thought that experience knocking out successful projects would count for more.

Plus I was already working with minis and the subject material at that time seemed to be all mainframe stuff. I'd never touched COBOL back then, for example.

Then a decade later I came across a bunch of BCS types.

Plummy accents, dickie bow ties and double barrelled names.

Glad I hadn't bothered.
    Yes, back in the early 1990s, we were told that if you mentioned PCs in any exam answers you were red-lined - they were just toys [sic] and not part of serious IT solutions. At the time I was using PCs at work and had been for a while. Even the teachers I had on the course thought the BCS were barmy.

They were priceless. I've got other strange memories of my encounters with them, as I suspect many have.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Not worth the effort. I used to be in the IEE never bothered to get chartered as nobody cared anyway. Only Civil Engineers or Engineers on building projects doing Electrical design/installation need to be chartered no-one else does. and a fat lot of good that does them on their pitifully low salaries.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

.. I tend to regard them in the same light as members of the real ale society or classic car clubs.
    WHS

For me the BCS conjures up this image of '70s Open University lecturers

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Don't think I'll bother. SOunds like I'd get more use and pleasure out of the wine
    Another victory for Cuk "bottle half empty"

Leave a comment:

• VirtualMonkey
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Don't think I'll bother. SOunds like I'd get more use and pleasure out of the wine

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I am not sure about the "plummy" stuff but I tend to regard them in the same light as members of the real ale society or classic car clubs.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I was a member yonks ago but nobody I ever worked for was interested in it. I left because the BCS hierarchy were so far up their own arses.

I did the exams though, they were worthwhile as long as you don't try to be cutting edge with answers.

All that might have changed in the past few years, but I'd be surprised.
    In my second job in IT, management said they'd pay the costs for me to do the exams, but quite frankly at that stage in my career I was laready putting in lots of hours and thought that experience knocking out successful projects would count for more.

Plus I was already working with minis and the subject material at that time seemed to be all mainframe stuff. I'd never touched COBOL back then, for example.

Then a decade later I came across a bunch of BCS types.

Plummy accents, dickie bow ties and double barrelled names.

Glad I hadn't bothered.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Being a member of the BCS might impress someone that doesn't know anything about computing. Which may be exactly the effect you intend and require. It's like being a member of Mensa; not as hard as those who've never been members might think, and all you get from joining is a yearbook and constant marketing blurb to encourage you to buy evermore expensive levels of membership ("member for life", etc) for very little meaningful return.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I do not think that being a member of the BCS is helpful in getting business. It gives off the impression that someone is interested in computing for computing's sake, rather than IT being a tool for business.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X