• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Revealed: why Gordon Brown sold Britain's gold at a knock-down price"

Collapse

• hyperD
    replied
    Speaking of the devil....

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Who is Gordon Brown? And what is Gold? I only watch Justin Bieber.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    So we are agreed then, the "one eyed Scottish idiot" was yet another glorified Labour cockhead? Yes?
    I don't believe being Labour had anything to do with it. Look at the current bunch of incumbents.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post

Exactly, why keep harping on about a few billion quids worth of gold when there are hundreds of billions of pounds worth of far more serious ****ery to concern ourselves with.
    Isn't it obvious? Because pallet loads of gleaming gold bars are easy to visualise, and everyone knows it is "precious", and hoards of it are in the common imagination the bulwark of a healthy stable economy. So selling that at a knock down price is a potent symbol or representative of his other follies.

PFI by contrast sounds all technical and abstruse to many, and the losses less clear cut. Also, PFI sounds more like a planned strategy, worked out by clever civil servants, whereas selling the gold seemed and presumably was a sudden act of desperation.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Yeah, a drop in the ocean compared to the £1/3 trillion money printing operation, with another £50 billion printed this week.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    So we are agreed then, the "one eyed Scottish idiot" was yet another glorified Labour cockhead? Yes?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    He thrown far more money in other mistakes such as PFI.
    Exactly, why keep harping on about a few billion quids worth of gold when there are hundreds of billions of pounds worth of far more serious ****ery to concern ourselves with.

You could also argue to some extent that the utility privatizations resulted in a similar loss to the taxpayer.
    Last edited by doodab; 7 July 2012, 22:55.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Oh dear...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    £1500 isn't much in the grand scheme of a contractor's bank balance.

Would you give that £1500 to me if I paid you £300 for it?
    No, but I wouldn't give you tuppence. If however you wanted to buy some of my old junk for £300 and it turns out to be worth £1500 in a few years time then good luck to you.

The sentiment that gold is now basically useless so may as well get rid and use the cash for something else was actually quite sensible IMO, and an awful lot of central banks were doing the same thing and kept doing it for years afterwards. The timing of the sale was bad, yes, although it looks a lot worse in the light of the financial crisis and even now with gold close to all time highs the loss equates to only 6 weeks of the current deficit, so I think we have much more important things to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I don't really understand the fuss. 400 tons of gold is only worth about £20bn which would be nice to have in the bank but it's bugger all in the grand scheme of things.
    It's the question of competence, or more like incompetence in this case.

He thrown far more money in other mistakes such as PFI.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I don't really understand the fuss. 400 tons of gold is only worth about £20bn which would be nice to have in the bank but it's bugger all in the grand scheme of things.
    £1500 isn't much in the grand scheme of a contractor's bank balance.

Would you give that £1500 to me if I paid you £300 for it?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Interesting theory, speculating on Euro's, but I prefer this one:

The worst government we've ever had IMO and I'm not entirely convinced they weren't punishing the English for some war fought 100s of years ago <dons foil hat> or at least despised the English.
    Knowing what makes these scum tick, I wouldn't disagree with you there TimberWolf.

And on a brighter note - off to the Hersham beer festival - wooohoooo!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    What reason does Brown give in his book? Assuming he has a book.
    I am not going to hand money over to GB to find out.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    What reason does Brown give in his book? Assuming he has a book.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X