• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Chico: why is Heaven hotter than Hell?"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Threaded the plagiarist strikes again

The temperature of Heaven can be rather accurately computed. Our authority is Isaiah 30:26,

"Moreover, the light of the Moon shall
    be as the light of the Sun and the light
    of the Sun shall be sevenfold, as the
    light of seven days."

Thus Heaven receives from the Moon as much radiation as we do from the Sun, and in addition 7*7 (49) times as much as the Earth does from the Sun, or 50 times in all. The light we receive from the Moon is one 1/10,000 of the light we receive from the Sun, so we can ignore that ... The radiation falling on Heaven will heat it to the point where i.e., Heaven loses 50 times as much heat as the Earth by radiation. Using the Stefan-Boltzmann
    law for radiation, (H/E) temperature of the earth (-300K), gives H as 798K (525C). The exact temperature of Hell cannot be computed ...

(However) Revelations 21:8 says

"But the fearful, and unbelieving ... shall
    have their part in the lake which burneth
    with fire and brimstone."

A lake of molten brimstone means that its temperature must be at or below the boiling point, 444.6C. We have, then, that Heaven, at 525C is hotter than Hell at 445C.
    Amazing what a google on "Heaven hotter than Hell" turns up.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Ah, Belinda. Always had a special soft spot for that red headed babe.

Oh, yes. I'm with you on that one, DP!

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Them's a suffocation risk them's is. Health and safety should ask those lassies to put up a warning notice.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Ah, Belinda. Always had a special soft spot for that red headed babe.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Heaven is a place on earth

Ooh, baby, do you know what thats worth ?
    Ooh heaven is a place on earth
    They say in heaven love comes first
    Well make heaven a place on earth
    Ooh heaven is a place on earth

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I thought 'cold as hell' was Elton John in Rocket Man. Although why he would be an expert on where not to raise kids I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Chico my friend
    your brain is broke can I recommend that you tear it out, and throw it from you

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    Hell

Why the interest?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Is hell exothermic or endothermic?

Originally posted by nobody here but us chicke
    http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/hell.htm

was top of my google for this - remember it doing the rounds when I was a student, so its old.
    Is hell exothermic or endothermic?

http://www.ijvs.com/volume1/edition5....html#feature4

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist
    ah yes but Kate Bush sang that its as 'cold as hell' in outer space

so I think there is room for a little confusion here

EO, I thought that line was in 'Rocketman' . . .

"Mars ain’t the kind of place to raise your kids
    In fact it’s cold as hell
    "

More than a little confusion?

Leave a comment:

• SameOldStory
    replied
    I vaguely remember a version using entropy, but I can't find it.

Leave a comment:

• nobody here but us chicke
    replied
    the old ones are the best

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/hell.htm

was top of my google for this - remember it doing the rounds when I was a student, so its old.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Well, we all know that Chico's God is not bound by sodding laws of physics, but nevertheless the heaven is above clouds and if you were right then at 10 miles up it would be hotter than on the ground.

I disagree with this, Chico's God IS bound by the laws of physics , but he only invented them recently,when he dropped an apple on Newtons head.
    Before that there were no physics and thats why Jesus could ascend up to heaven with such ease.

Nowadays if God gets a strop and wants to do something, he would have to change the laws of physics, do it, then change them back again afterwards.

I think

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    OK Threaded, I will fall for it, you are dying for someone to ask anyway.

How do you figure that out?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964
    Hot air rises so heaven is hotter than hell.
    Well, we all know that Chico's God is not bound by sodding laws of physics, but nevertheless the heaven is above clouds and if you were right then at 10 miles up it would be hotter than on the ground.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X