• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Higgs Boson announcement today"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Just a reminder, pjclarke's predictions for 2012
    Good going. What are saturday's lottery numbers?

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Just a reminder, pjclarke's predictions for 2012

1. LHC will find conclusive evidence of the existence of the Higgs Boson with a mass-energy of around 125 GeV, thus pretty much confirming the Standard Model.

2. The faster-than-light CERN neutrinos will turn out to be an artifact of experimental error or data handling. Causality will survive.

3. Towards the second half of the year, there will one or more 'warmest on record' months, globally, and the global mean temperature for the year as a whole will set a new warm record.
    I think we may now have to have to wait until 2013 for our record-breaking warm year, however 2 out of 3 will do me, 'tis only July after all.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1452434

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    What was wrong with the old Proton-Neutron-Electron-Photon model? It was simple and it worked for me.

I reckon these physicists are making it all up. I've detected a Gravy Train particle running round a 17 mile track...

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. True they have found something that looks like Higgs Boson hiding in one of the physicist's old coat pockets. But what if it turns out what they have found is actually Higg's Button? Red faces all round.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    You can never be really certain you've seen a particle which is everywhere at once, can you.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    It's all greek to me

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
    Essentially the higgs is a subatomic entity (particle if you like but not strictly true) that is responsible for generating/perpetuating a field called the higgs field.
    This field acts upon other particles in such a way that it creates mass.
    The best analogy i've seen is:
    imagine a lake of treacle (the higgs field). energy (particles, etc.) is passing through the lake and as it does so some of the treacle sticks to the energy, slowing it down. The amount of treacle sticking to the energy is unique to each unit of energy (all energy has different charcteristics) and so each bit of energy slows down differently although similar types of energy slow down similarly. The slowing down is equivalent to adding mass (energy is mass afterall).
    makes sense? probably not. i have an undergraduate in physics and i struggle with these concepts these days. it's been a while since i left uni
    It's all greek to me

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    no that's the Holodeck you Trekky
    Ah, no wonder my world seems so small - thanks chef!

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Hmmm, doesn't make sense really.

Are you sure it's not the interference patterns created by the outlet eletroplasma medium power and the omnidirectional holo-diode generated force fields?
    no that's the Holodeck you Trekky

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Hmmm, doesn't make sense really.

Are you sure it's not the interference patterns created by the outlet eletroplasma medium power and the omnidirectional holo-diode generated force fields?

Leave a comment:

• VirtualMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Challenge time...can anyone in very simple terms explain what the boson particle is and what it is trying to proove ?

Chap on the radio is trying to at the moment and is still confusing
    Essentially the higgs is a subatomic entity (particle if you like but not strictly true) that is responsible for generating/perpetuating a field called the higgs field.
    This field acts upon other particles in such a way that it creates mass.
    The best analogy i've seen is:
    imagine a lake of treacle (the higgs field). energy (particles, etc.) is passing through the lake and as it does so some of the treacle sticks to the energy, slowing it down. The amount of treacle sticking to the energy is unique to each unit of energy (all energy has different charcteristics) and so each bit of energy slows down differently although similar types of energy slow down similarly. The slowing down is equivalent to adding mass (energy is mass afterall).
    makes sense? probably not. i have an undergraduate in physics and i struggle with these concepts these days. it's been a while since i left uni

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Challenge time...can anyone in very simple terms explain what the boson particle is and what it is trying to proove ?

Chap on the radio is trying to at the moment and is still confusing
    take a look here Higgs Boson made simple

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I think they are looking for 5 Sigma before they'll say it certainly exists.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means only a 17 billion to one chance of error.
    Ok, its 3.5 million to one

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    No but he's slept with Higgs Boson's wife.
    And his sister....

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Has John Terry taken the credit for this yet?
    No but he's slept with Higgs Boson's wife.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X