• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Germany - hints and tips"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Goodness gracious great balls of fire, what a shame, you won't get a chance to see our band.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Cheers, unfortunately schedule looking pretty full, so I think opportunity to actually see Frankfurt may be missed.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I agree more with this description of Frankfurt

Nightlife in Frankfurt: Pub, Bar and Club Districts for Frankfurt

Frankfurt nightlife could hardly be described as dull. Thanks to a prominent student population and a varied scene spread right across the city, backpackers looking for a big night out will rarely leave Frankfurt unsatisfied.
    Most people I know who've visited Frankfurt found it rather good.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Off to Frankfurt this week for a workshop.

Any hints and tips for the business traveller?

So far I've got:

1) Don't mention the war
    2) Line the inspection shelf with paper before making a deposit

Anything else I need to know?

Ta.
    Frankfurt is can be quite a boring town (unlike Darmstadt, 20 km south) unless you know where to go. Sachsenhausen, south of the river, is the pub area with one part which is about 30-40 bars next to each other but very touristy. Nearly all the museums are also along the south bank of the river but the Römerplatz (currently being rebuilt again) can be quite interesting and the Schirn gallery has a great Jeff Coons exhibition on. Around the train station is the redlight area (plus the English Theater) and drug scene. There are some very good restaurants but you'll need to search for them. Watch out for east Europeans (sadly)...

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Avoid the red light zone old boy, apparently those Jermans like their tulip.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Don't forget that Germans don't find it funny if you say they don't have sense of humour.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    I found such a log book in a bookshop in Sydney. It invited a sketch, as well as various ratings for texture, smell, ease of passage. I knew I should have bought it at the time.
    Isn't that always the way?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Don't forget to record all inspections in your log book and to post photos on the Business forum, or Xog will be upset.
    I found such a log book in a bookshop in Sydney. It invited a sketch, as well as various ratings for texture, smell, ease of passage. I knew I should have bought it at the time.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by darrenb View Post
    Also, don't be surprised if some of the Frauleins approach you in the street and wish to flirt:

"Hey, pretty shoes. Sex?"
    "Yeah! I'd love to."

The Germans are a very direct people.
    These are the Frauleins that we must call Frau?

Don't normally swing that way, but when in Frankfurt...

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    culture shock

Also, don't be surprised if some of the Frauleins approach you in the street and wish to flirt:

Youtube video:

"Hey, pretty shoes. Sex?"
    "Yeah! I'd love to."

The Germans are a very direct people.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Don't forget to record all inspections in your log book and to post photos on the Business forum, or Xog will be upset.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Indeed. And Wickser for the males regardless of status
    Danke, Herr Wickser.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Yes. Always use Frau irrespective of single/married status.
    Indeed. And Wickser for the males regardless of status

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Yes. Always use Frau irrespective of single/married status.
    'Zucker Titten' works well as a more informal approach.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X