• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractors learning board"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Permie is best Francko. Massive pensions, free training whenever you want it, all those super "team building" nights out.

You leave the barren existence of the freelancer to us that can't make the grade in corporate permieland.

Cheers,

DP.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    At my company they charged contractors for social occasions like xmas parties and so on (not that I blame them for not coming anyway).

But I am sure mine is a very strange one and the majority of companies are happy to pay trips to Iceland, Switzerland and Dublin. Again, the most important thing is to realise that we are not focusing on one rather strange and peculiar situation but thinking about the average situation.

I am also sure that your company is happy to match 150% of the pension contribution to contractors as they do for permanent people at my company.
    I was paid my full rate when I went to Germany for my previous client. I was on full pay while sleeping on the aircraft between London and Munich.

I too have a healthy pension. It's the overall package that counts and I get far more as a contractor than I ever could as a permie. But that's my case.

Leave a comment:

• wc2
    replied

I am also sure that your company is happy to match 150% of the pension contribution to contractors as they do for permanent people at my company.
    Franko - Spoken like a true company man

Do you have a tattoo of the company logo on your arse?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak
    Why should I joke? I'm not picking up the tab for flights and hotels to Iceland, Switzerland, Dublin...
    At my company they charged contractors for social occasions like xmas parties and so on (not that I blame them for not coming anyway).

But I am sure mine is a very strange one and the majority of companies are happy to pay trips to Iceland, Switzerland and Dublin. Again, the most important thing is to realise that we are not focusing on one rather strange and peculiar situation but thinking about the average situation.

Oh and my penson is looking very healthy - thanks for asking...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Oh and my penson is looking very healthy - thanks for asking...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Hope you are joking on that.
    Why should I joke? I'm not picking up the tab for flights and hotels to Iceland, Switzerland, Dublin...

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    D is for dream on

P is for pub lunch, that's what permies do while contractors do the work

WW is for working weekends, get used to them
    W is for regularly working till late without pay as a permie, unless you call a 'free' curry pay.

P is for pub lunch to celebrate the product release, and contractors are invited along and told to charge normal hours.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    and forgot...

P is for pension, hope you have saved enough as you won't have any

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak
    S is for sunning yourself in the garden using your wireless connection as you work from home.
    Oh well, who doesn't have a wireless connection?

E is for expenses paid by the client.
    Hope you are joking on that.

IR35 is for losers...
    Guess somebody must have lost then.

W is for "What kind of contractor have you ever been Francko?"

C is for a Crap one by the sounds of it...
    If you must be considered permie because your job is temporarily permanent then yes. So be it. However, I am open to any choice, I have no prejudice. And I want to change perhaps in 1-2 years, perhaps going back to contracting. What is stopping me though is that the rates are rather low and would not even balance my current permie salary. But then again, it all depends on your environment and some people have good contracts, some bad contracts, good permie and bad permie jobs. What I find rather silly are all those idiotic generalisation that one world is better than the other. Simply isn't. We are all in the hands of greedy stockholders and politicians. And can't help laughing at the insecurity of people that believe "contractors do it better". If you need to think that to reassure your ego, go on but do not expect to be taken serious by people who want to make a reasoned choice about contracting.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    S is for sunning yourself in the garden using your wireless connection as you work from home.

E is for expenses paid by the client.

IR35 is for losers...

W is for "What kind of contractor have you ever been Francko?"

C is for a Crap one by the sounds of it...

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by wc2
    R is for retired (20 years before the permies)
    D is for dream on

P is for pub lunch, that's what permies do while contractors do the work

WW is for working weekends, get used to them

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    S is for strip clubs - the favoured hang outs of contractors and truck drivers

Leave a comment:

• wc2
    replied
    R is for retired (20 years before the permies)

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    started a topic Contractors learning board

Contractors learning board

A is for away from home most of your life

B is for bed&breakfast, the cheapest, the most squallid you can afford

C is for cut, of your rate because indians are cheaper

D is for demotivation, as they won't give you jobs with authority, you are paid to do the most boring jobs permies don't want to do it

E is for end of the contract, it's always near

F is for finances, your accountants make sure that for a large fee they can rip off yours

G is for gullible, when they tell you that your contract will be certainly renewed the next term

H is for haunted, haunted by the next subject

I is for IR35, well, whatelse to say....

Working...
X