• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "NatWest and RBS computer glitch"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by sbakoola View Post

They will continue to cut costs and offshore as money savings is the bottom line. A few more screw ups will occur more low key and then one day due to the offshore nature of the banks I.T. (for UK accounts) one day in the future a few Bobs will create one of the biggest banking fraud robberies ever and they will be outside of UK jurisdiction. The UK will change the law but the damage would be done by then with people losing money from their accounts.
    Not only that, but Indians aren't stupid, especially the brightest when there are so many of them.

Soon, if not already, they'll have the skills and infrastructure, to start doing themselves cheaper all that the City of London and other Western commerce centres does now.

That's assuming the maoists don't get the upper hand and turn the country's economy to rat sh*t.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
    They will continue to cut costs and offshore as money savings is the bottom line. A few more screw ups will occur more low key and then one day due to the offshore nature of the banks I.T. for UK accounts one day in the future a few Bobs will create one of the biggest banking fraud robberies ever and they will be outside of UK jurisdiction. The UK will change the law but the damage would be done by then with people losing money from their accounts.
    Do you wear a tinfoil hat with sticky out bits?

Leave a comment:

• sbakoola
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Who could possibly have guessed this would happen?

NatWest: your questions answered | Money | The Observer

From the comments
    They will continue to cut costs and offshore as money savings is the bottom line. A few more screw ups will occur more low key and then one day due to the offshore nature of the banks I.T. (for UK accounts) one day in the future a few Bobs will create one of the biggest banking fraud robberies ever and they will be outside of UK jurisdiction. The UK will change the law but the damage would be done by then with people losing money from their accounts.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    You are an OK guy AtW, web forum messing arounds always happens.

Like you big guy.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    You are an OK guy AtW, web forum messing arounds always happens.

Like you big guy.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I honestly do see you as an idiot who strives to be clever. no, actually. I see you as a very clever person who wants to be an idiot, oh, I do not know.
    Or an idiot who is trying to be himself?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It was back in 1999. All proper IT contractors were making big bucks on Y2K whilst the job I got interviewed for paid £20k at best
    I honestly do see you as an idiot who strives to be clever. no, actually. I see you as a very clever person who wants to be an idiot, oh, I do not know.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Birmingham got hit by recession so hard it would even take money printed in Wales
    Likely true. Have to say I was impressed by the changes there over a twenty year period.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I was there recently and had a great time and no probs spending Scottish notes that time.
    Birmingham got hit by recession so hard it would even take money printed in Wales, ask zeity how much tulip he got here for a handful of galactic credits

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Well, good for you.

I was told to fook right off in England with that Scottish fiver. I certainly won't be counting on it being accepted abroad.
    Only happens in some places in England never abroad. Actually the only place I had a problem was in Birmingham years ago (true), I guess they were not used to tourists in those days. I was there recently and had a great time and no probs spending Scottish notes that time.

So what's the point of this part of the thread anyway? Money talks whatever the currency or pictures printed on it.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    France, Belgium, Germany, Norway, Spain, Portugal. No problems although one Spanish bank had to go look up some book or other so it only took a few minutes to get it sorted.
    Well, good for you.

I was told to fook right off in England with that Scottish fiver. I certainly won't be counting on it being accepted abroad.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    God, they must have been really struggling for staff is they got you up from brum.
    It was back in 1999. All proper IT contractors were making big bucks on Y2K whilst the job I got interviewed for paid £20k at best

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BarbarianAtTheDoor View Post
    Therefore, saying that it's not accepted abroad (unless we're talking specific places where they honor them) is correct. It's not supported by law like other national currencies are, it's just a piece of paper printed by the bank on it.
    Indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied

Which country?
    France, Belgium, Germany, Norway, Spain, Portugal. No problems although one Spanish bank had to go look up some book or other so it only took a few minutes to get it sorted.

Some banks will charge a wee bit more commission for an exchange but aside from them never had a problem exchanging Scottish notes anywhere else, they'd rather you spent the money there than go elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I had job interview in 1999 there in a games company that made lemmings - by the time I reached it (via Glasgow) all I cared was to get the hell out of there before the last train to mainland was leaving, like at 2pm or so

I had interview at Codemasters also but my salary requirements were way higher than they expected slaves to work for, plus they made me write code on paper and do retarded IQ test
    You went up to dundee at got knocked back.

God, they must have been really struggling for staff is they got you up from brum.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X