• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone built a garden office?"

Collapse

• SandyD
    replied
    I got confused about the planing permission for outer building, I think its not required for anything around 30sqm in size but there are some restrictions on the heights etc.

Building regs also needs to be looked up.

I had some trouble when I converted my outer building, a poisonous neighbour claimed I built it from scratch which is not true as it was there for years, I needed to prove to the council it was there for the last 4 years.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I built an 8m x 4m shed at the bottom of a house and it was fine. Get them double skinned though, as they can get chilly even early doors in summer.

Whats with teh blood letting; BP gone?

EDIT: Oh, and we charged the lot to the company, including wiring it up to the mains.
    Last edited by Old Hack; 4 February 2013, 11:42.

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    then that would be a no. You cant have your Ltd cover the costs..

Leave a comment:

• SandyD
    replied
    Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    Is it soley for business use?
    Errr no, in fact I ended up using it for something nothing to do with home office lol

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Is it soley for business use?

Leave a comment:

• SandyD
    replied
    When I bought this house, there was an outer building down the garden already, but had no facilities, I converted it into a studio flat, with a small kitchenette and small shower room added. I spent a lot more than 3K on it, the drainage connection was a pain as it had to be connected up hill towards the house, plus installed its own boiler and heating etc. Its beautiful, but cost me a lot of money (around 9K)

So you are saying I could expense the costs of the conversion from my company?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    Over a 3 year period this is £9,600

Most of the garden offices I've seen come in under this level so the office will pay for itself over this period of time and save company money in the longer term.

Perfectly justifiable to Hector in my opinion.
    You don't work weekends on a plan b at all?

check your public liability & house insurance if you invite guests/customers.

Don't forget travel & the ability to share costs (phone, Coffee etc).

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Talked it over with the accountant and if its for business use only, not attached to my property and can be moved if we move house and can be financially justified then it should be ok. I look at it this way.

A day office rate at Regus costs £40-£55 per day

If we assume a 40 week working year and 2 days working at home per week, that’s 80 days per year

Using the lowest rate that’s £40 *80 = £3,200 per year

Over a 3 year period this is £9,600

Most of the garden offices I've seen come in under this level so the office will pay for itself over this period of time and save company money in the longer term.

Perfectly justifiable to Hector in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
    couldn't your ltd buy it outright?
    Exactly my question

Leave a comment:

• Bluespider
    replied
    couldn't your ltd buy it outright?

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    I like the offices from Dunster House but can this be claimed as a company expense? Technically it can be moved if you moved house so should not add to the capital gain (if any) on your own property

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by spondit View Post
    Morning all,

I've decided to take the plunge and replace the shed at the bottom of my garden with a home office...
    go for it! i'm working from mine now. i didn't build it though - the previous owners installed it as a classroom for their taught-at-home kids. it's 18 feet by 10 has and is ideal for me and my stuff. it gets a bit cold in the winter though - i need to improve the insulation...

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Sasguru did, he spent ~£2 million.
    so did SY01

Leave a comment:

• spondit
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    DO you need it?
    Yes. I've got three kids who I love dearly but they drive me insane.

I need somewhere to escape them, and also like the idea of separating home from work life.

Beer may be drunk there at some point.

Thanks to all the suggestions so far.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Sasguru did, he spent ~£2 million.
    bollux he did! Only a cretin would spend that much!

hang on.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X