• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Software Source Control Versioning"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Lots of people who ended up doing dev work by accident, or in-house developers in places without any real software process.

And I've seen Bobs (from Tata) who made copies of the dir containing source code each time they changed stuff rather than use VC.
    Bingo

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    What developers in this day and age don't understand version control? Even Bobs use VC ffs.
    Lots of people who ended up doing dev work by accident, or in-house developers in places without any real software process.

And I've seen Bobs (from Tata) who made copies of the dir containing source code each time they changed stuff rather than use VC.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Natives!
    If they're that thick yer fcked.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    What are we talking here?
    Natives!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    These aren't even Bobs, so back to my original question before the bun fight over which technology is better than which (and you are all wrong, the best is StatTeam) does anyone know of any literature that can help me show them how versioning should work etc?
    What are we talking here?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    What developers in this day and age don't understand version control? Even Bobs use VC ffs.
    These aren't even Bobs, so back to my original question before the bun fight over which technology is better than which (and you are all wrong, the best is StatTeam) does anyone know of any literature that can help me show them how versioning should work etc?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    How is git clone or git commit or git push or git pull..hard? Maybe I am over estimating the intelligence of some of you, I had some of you pegged slightly above moron but looks like I was being optimistic.
    It's only me and SAS. The rest are cretins

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    SVN is fast, reliable, easy to setup, etc as well. It's also very easy to use.

You shouldn't feel like you've accomplished something when you manage to commit your code... it's a key principle of software tools that the harder they are to use, the more people won't bother.

And no you don't need to build it yourself whoever complained about that... getting Git on my Windows PC was quite straightforward and it works fine, it's just understanding how to use it that is a PITA. We use the github flow which is about as simple as it gets and still SVN is much easier.

DVCS are very cool at merging but I would rather have SVN that can do the merging properly in the first place.
    How is git clone or git commit or git push or git pull..hard? Maybe I am over estimating the intelligence of some of you, I had some of you pegged slightly above moron but looks like I was being optimistic.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    After a bit of help from our learned developers, does anyone have any resources that show's the benefits of source code version labeling, either power point presentation or white papers etc?!

I am trying to work with a load of developers that don't quite understand the concept, and I am hoping pretty pictures and small words might make it easier for them to understand.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Nope it's fast, extremely reliable, distributed, easy to setup, low footprint and generally awesome.
    SVN is fast, reliable, easy to setup, etc as well. It's also very easy to use.

You shouldn't feel like you've accomplished something when you manage to commit your code... it's a key principle of software tools that the harder they are to use, the more people won't bother.

And no you don't need to build it yourself whoever complained about that... getting Git on my Windows PC was quite straightforward and it works fine, it's just understanding how to use it that is a PITA. We use the github flow which is about as simple as it gets and still SVN is much easier.

DVCS are very cool at merging but I would rather have SVN that can do the merging properly in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I set it up to play with. It's one of those open-source projects that you have to build before you can use it. So first download the code, then spend half an hour reading the instructions on how to build. Then spend another hour trying to find somewhere to download the build system it's using. Then spend another hour trying to work out how to build that...
    ******* clueless, you can install git using apt, yum there are installer for osx, windows.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Nope it's fast, extremely reliable, distributed, easy to setup, low footprint and generally awesome.
    I set it up to play with. It's one of those open-source projects that you have to build before you can use it. So first download the code, then spend half an hour reading the instructions on how to build. Then spend another hour trying to find somewhere to download the build system it's using. Then spend another hour trying to work out how to build that...

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    A bit like your wife.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    A bit like your wife.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I agree.
    I tried git and it was too complex for me, I need little pictures to click cause I am thick

FTFY

Leave a comment:

Working...
X