• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "It's not enough just to obey the law, Citizen Smith"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Fair point.

But he still shouldn't have got on his high horse about it. No-one Is Innocent!
    Why shouldn't he get on his high horse? It's not illegal.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    I would suggest that Hurd had a far superior barnet. I always likes the Hurd spitting image puppet with its mega wave hair.
    I tried to read a novel by Douglas Hurd once. It was quite well written, and an interesting plot, but after a while I found its detailed descriptions of the characters' trains of thought rather too cerebral for my taste.

Let's just say if it's ever made into a film, there won't be many car chases and explosions (unless someone's head explodes, from excessive introspection).

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    He's always reminded me of Douglas Hurd for some reason. I think it's the hair.
    I would suggest that Hurd had a far superior barnet. I always likes the Hurd spitting image puppet with its mega wave hair.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Mister Cameron is entitled to have an opinion. Prime Minister Cameron is a public official, and in his public life he is responsible to the office and to us the voters, not to Mister Cameron's opinions.
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    But DC has no honour.
    +2

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Big part of his job is to make sure people pay taxes.
    And not fiddle their expenses

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Mister Cameron is entitled to have an opinion. Prime Minister Cameron is a public official, and in his public life he is responsible to the office and to us the voters, not to Mister Cameron's opinions.
    Big part of his job is to make sure people pay taxes.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    in his public life he is responsible to the office and to us the voters
    Sorry but that really made me

I theory you are 100% correct. But DC has no honour.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    He's entitled to have an opinion. The fact some of his supporters are using similar schemes is to his credit to say what he thinks is right at the cost of peeing them off.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Actually, Jimmy Carr doesn't come across as a lefty. He might have made a joke about tax avoidance but everybody does (including on here). His politics seem fairly mundane to me, so I'm not sure he is being particularly hypercritical.
    He's always reminded me of Douglas Hurd for some reason. I think it's the hair.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Particularly when many of his supporters will have similar tax arrangements to Jimmy carr
    Yes, like Tony Blair!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Actually, Jimmy Carr doesn't come across as a lefty. He might have made a joke about tax avoidance but everybody does (including on here). His politics seem fairly mundane to me, so I'm not sure he is being particularly hypercritical.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    He's entitled to have an opinion. The fact some of his supporters are using similar schemes is to his credit to say what he thinks is right at the cost of peeing them off.
    Fair point.

But he still shouldn't have got on his high horse about it. No-one Is Innocent!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    He should simply have said that the government was looking at ways to put a stop to ordinary people using such loopholes and left it at that.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Its a very good point. I don't like Jimmy Carr - but for a PM to jump on a band wagon is wrong.
    He should simply have said that the government was looking at ways to put a stop to such loopholes and left it at that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X