• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Contractor envy

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor envy"

Collapse

• BillHicksRIP
    replied
    I'm trying to live my contractor life under the motto, "Do your homework, know your stuff and blow every permie out of the water. Risk vs reward".

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Coupled with the...

The Inner-Platform Effect - The Daily WTF

A joy to work on.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    You know exactly what the problem is: tulip code.
    Spot on.

Anemic domain model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pile of turd held up to be genius by the managers.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Don't think I can take clientCo much more, "can you check the logs on this app, user login issues?"

2 mins later

"ehmm, logs are filled with mail send exception messages, looks like the app was designed to send messages to emails and not log into log files, the email adresses are incorrect and caused the log email to not be sent"

"so you do not know what the problems are?"

"no"

"can you check the logs then and see what the problems are"

You know exactly what the problem is: tulip code.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Don't think I can take clientCo much more, "can you check the logs on this app, user login issues?"

2 mins later

"ehmm, logs are filled with mail send exception messages, looks like the app was designed to send messages to emails and not log into log files, the email adresses are incorrect and caused the log email to not be sent"

"no"

Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

2 mins later

"no"

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    You mean you don't

Makes sense actually
    I do but I WFH.

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Current project is about 80% contractor and the permies are quite happy to have us here doing all their work 'cos It means they can continue surfing the net all day. Which is nice
    Sounds ideal. Maybe companies should specifically hire some permies to surf the net in order to help the contractors get on with it.

Hang on, they already do... it's called the marketing department....

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    I am going to suggest that about 10 percent of permies have issues with working with contractors, depending on the gig, the client and the role it varies but 10 percent would be a software industry standard amount I would say.
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    90% here.
    Sometimes the 10% can seem like 90% because they're the loudest 10%.

But yeah I've been 90% environments too. Mind you, only in the UK. It's culturally accepted in the UK where it wouldn't be in most countries.

My approach is to up my rate before starting if I anticipate any aggro.
    Last edited by darrenb; 21 June 2012, 20:58.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Of course. It's called meet the boss.
    helicoptering

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You get your willy out at work and show it around?
    Of course. It's called meet the boss.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You mean you don't

Makes sense actually

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Ah contractor envy, if only that was all I had to worry about, when you are very handsome, genius level intelligent, funny, witty and well endowed you have to put up with envy from all quarters, I sometimes think I am cursed.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    God some people are sensitive. All these things get mentioned to me at some point. I just don't take notice of
    Anything. Water off a ducks back.
    WSS

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
    When I was permy a few years ago I used to really hate contractors when I learnt the rate they were getting - permy colleagues also used to openly make ‘other half live’, ‘contractor scum’ etc. remarks in the office at the bullying expense of the contractors.

Now contracting I see exactly that ‘bullying/jealous’ attitude from the other side. Can be tough if you’r the only contractor in an office of permies (as I’ve been at times), the rate gets you though it.

God some people are sensitive. All these things get mentioned to me at some point. I just don't take notice of
    Anything. Water off a ducks back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X