• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why europe is doomed"

Collapse

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    At the moment there is little democracy in Europe. Both Italy and Greece have German appointed overseers.
    Utter moron, Greece are about to have their second election, how is that not democratic?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I think he was talking about democracy rather than the economy

Democracy has the same problem; too many governments. We have local councils, county councils (or provincial governments), national governments, supranational governments, all with their regulators, inspectors, tax collectors and so on, all working against each other with no interaction or coordination at all. Too much government.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I rest my case
    The rest of us wish you would.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Somewhere that delicate balance of chiefs and indians has been lost and economies will really only recover when that balance is restored.
    I think he was talking about democracy rather than the economy

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    And the Italian appointed overseer's doing a much better job than the last 'democratically elected' PM. Or, well, a less crappy job.
    It looks like the Italian debt has increased with the new government.
    Battling Italy's debt costs to spike at auction | Reuters

Come back, evil Silvio, all is forgiven, and bring along some teenage stripper!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    'Incompetents voted in by the non-productive, so the non-productives can be paid benefits by stealing money from the diminishing number of productives' - W.S.Optimist

I think you're missing something here. IMHO Europe's economy isn't really troubled by the 'unproductives'; we can afford to pay useless people to stay at home and not go out hassling and hindering other people. What we can't afford is the growing army of anti-productive people to be found in government, quangos AND (usually large) businesses; people who don't actually take part in making or selling some product or service, but who are employed to get in the way. Look at the legion of inspectors, box tickers, jobsworths, assorted 'quality analysts' etc who do nothing other than write reports and draw graphs, or the legion of middle managers who don't talk to real clients, don't explain things to shareholders, don't actually lead a team of productive people, but busy themselves with process charts, quality systems, compliance and so on and very often just turn up among a group of developers or testers and confuse matters by demanding some nonsense report my this morning. Just look around you at clientco or look at the organisation chart and ask yourself what all those people actually contribute to making something profitable or useful.

Somewhere that delicate balance of chiefs and indians has been lost and economies will really only recover when that balance is restored.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Why not just go back to a soviet style planned economy?
    Because the nations productivity would decline to sub British Leyland levels, as there would be no incentive to work hard

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Why Europe Is Doomed To Decline - 13/06/2012

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury" -- anonymous

Absolutely true this - There is a constant stream of groups with their hands out and an opposition screaming about every cut that pushes all governments into a short term borrow and spend cycle to cling to power. Any attempt to avoid this and you just get bounced out for the mob who say they will keep the handouts coming.
    All the time while giving people the illusion of freedom.
    Maybe the chinese have the right idea after all....
    thats it then. it's all over for Democracy.

'The Worst form of governent, apart from all the rest' - W.S.Churchill

'Incompetents voted in by the non-productive, so the non-productives can be paid benefits by stealing money from the diminishing number of productives' - W.S.Optimist

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    At the moment there is little democracy in Europe. Both Italy and Greece have German appointed overseers.
    And the Italian appointed overseer's doing a much better job than the last 'democratically elected' PM. Or, well, a less crappy job.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I will of course be taking a cut
    Not under my brutal but fair regime you won't!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Say his name three times and Candyman shall appear...

Make three cretinous (sic) statements in the same thread and sasguru shall appear...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It's too centalised. What the Govt should do ....
    I rest my case that you're a cretin
    You should be proud, stupidity of your ilk is truly rare.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Yes, I think you'd do well in a Soviet state - narrow minded, can't think strategically, low or non-existant morals.

In my vision of Britain 2030 you'll be digging coal somewhere in Wales
    No I wont, I'll be getting contractors in to do it and I will of course be taking a cut

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Shall I recruit the secret police to enforce the decentralised policies?
    Yes, I think you'd do well in a Soviet state - narrow minded, can't think strategically, low or non-existant morals.

In my vision of Britain 2030 you'll be digging coal somewhere in Wales

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    It's too centalised. What the Govt should do is set correct policies and enforce them with extreme prejudice if that becomes necessary.

Say if getting budget deficit is a criminal offence for whole Cabinet then less of populist politicians will get it, and those of them that manage will end up in jail - Germans are not yet insisting on it but they really should.
    Shall I recruit the secret police to enforce the decentralised policies?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X