• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why are the French Getting an MP for London?"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Merkel is playing to the electorate; I think she knows that eventually she'll have to cave in and let the ECB step in or offer Eurobonds, but first she has to show the German public that she's tried every other alternative because Germans have a deep seated fear of central banks doing things like Quantitative Easing or money printing. She'll give in eventually and she's just trying to soften up Germans to accept it.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yep, some of the SPD and CDU might go along with handing over powers to Brussels, but a large chunk of Mrs Merkel's party is the Bavarian CSU and I'm sure they are slapping their thoroughly conservative and rather wealthy knees at the thought of handing power over to everyone else. Bugger that, they don't even trust Berlin, never mind Brussels or London.
    Hehehe, WHS

Stuff like this brings governments together, or brings them down...

End game approaching.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Everything is unravelling. Either the Euro breaks up or Germany controls the finances (and therefore everything else) of the rest of the Eurozone.
    Yep, some of the SPD and CDU might go along with handing over powers to Brussels, but a large chunk of Mrs Merkel's party is the Bavarian CSU and I'm sure they are slapping their thoroughly conservative and rather wealthy knees at the thought of handing power over to everyone else. Bugger that, they don't even trust Berlin, never mind Brussels or London.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Meanwhile, in Berlin....

Pach's worst vision
    Everything is unravelling. Either the Euro breaks up or Germany controls the finances (and therefore everything else) of the rest of the Eurozone.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Meanwhile, in Berlin....

Originally posted by The Dark Lady Slut
    German Chancellor Angela Merkel says the EU needs a political union even if it means some countries integrating faster than others.

Speaking on German TV, she called for "more Europe", including a budgetary union, saying "we need a political union first and foremost".

"Step by step we must from now on give up more competences to Europe, and allow Europe more powers of control."
    Pach's worst vision

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    I'm not confused about anything and, frankly, your insults about my intelligence are just tedious.

These French people who come here.
    What sort of demographic do you think they fit into? I'll tell you - by and large they will be largely of the professional classes. Not economic migrants escaping hardship.
    I've met French people from all walks of life who have lived in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Pachman has single-handedly exposed a nefarious world-conspiracy that will have dire consequences for us all. The notion of having a parliamentary representative for a sizeable French population in our capital is, obviously, a first step towards the dissolution of our sovereignty, the advancement of the Cheese Empire, and the worldwide abolition of deodorant.

Pay heed, with fear and trembling, wailing and gnashing of teeth, to the birth pangs of a terror that will enslave us all.

That or get out more.

Your choice.
    On the bright side there'll be tankerloads of wine and promiscuity for all.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    They're simply ensuring representation in the French parliament of French citizens who live outside France; nothing to do with the EU or any of that stuff that makes some people paranoid. Italy does something similar and Britain considered something similar until Tony B Liar discovered most expats are tories and then decided to take away the vote after 10 years of non-residence.

Move along, nothing to see here.
    Yep. When I lived in France and there was a General Election in the UK, my French colleagues were horrified that I wasn't allowed a vote, because being able to vote as an expat was normal for them.

Thatcher introduced voting rights for expats in the mid 1980s on the grounds they were likely to vote Tory. Before Blair took that right away again I heard rumours that the taxman might do some of his famous "deeming" on the issue and "deem" expats who took up their voting rights as being UK resident, so I chose to keep out of that loop.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    And you ignored my earlier deduction that you were implying that anyone who pays tax gets the vote.

<fingersinears>I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!</fingersinears>
    Not ignoring it. I believe that if you're paying for a government, you should get a say in what happens with your money. Obviously, qualified by a few demands on understanding the language, agreeing to abide by the law, and possibly an intelligence test for voters, but yes; pay tax, get a say in what happens with it; that should be the contract.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    What's George Clinton got to do with the French anyway ?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Pachman has single-handedly exposed a nefarious world-conspiracy that will have dire consequences for us all. The notion of having a parliamentary representative for a sizeable French population in our capital is, obviously, a first step towards the dissolution of our sovereignty, the advancement of the Cheese Empire, and the worldwide abolition of deodorant.

Pay heed, with fear and trembling, wailing and gnashing of teeth, to the birth pangs of a terror that will enslave us all.

That or get out more.

Your choice.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Oh, back to Ad Hominem again. Please be more original. Even russell can do better.
    And you ignored my earlier deduction that you were implying that anyone who pays tax gets the vote.

<fingersinears>I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!</fingersinears>

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    no...they included Norway in the region and Norway isn't in the EU, nor has plans to join the EU.

This is to allow French people who live abroad inside and outside the EU to have a say in French affairs. If enough French people live in the US they might do the same there too one day.

This is not a French MP who sits in the UK parliament it's a French MP who lives in France and makes laws in France, these laws have no impact on Norway or the UK. They' are probably doing this because the French government want to tax French citizens abroad so by giving them a representative in the French parliement will enable them to argue that they have taxation with representation, otherwise there would be a big hoo hah. They want to tax rich French people 75% and they'll all bugger off so that's why they're doing this.
    I would not have credited you with the ability to argue logically. Mitch yes but not you - beginners luck?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Well you're not defending it in your usual supercillious, wet, wishy washy, liberal manner so I can only deduce that you too think it was a silly comment.
    Oh, back to Ad Hominem again. Please be more original. Even russell can do better.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    You know, if you take one man's words and twist them into what you want to believe he's said , it's very easy to ridicule them. It's called a 'Straw Man' argument and it exposes your own lack of logic or reason.
    Well you're not defending it in your usual supercillious, wet, wishy washy, liberal manner so I can only deduce that you too think it was a silly comment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X