• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Things you have discover that nobody else seems aware of"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    You have raised the tone of CUK today.
    Could it have got any lower?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied

A shaving socket and LG Corp.

The guy on the right is winking and saying 'nice job' or the guy on the left punched LG in the eye and got to the socket first.

You decide.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Not true, people argue about nonsense on the internet in good times and bad.
    Oh no they don't.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    I have discovered that recessions are terrible things, that make otherwise intelligent people argue about nonsense on the internet when they would otherwise be applying their intellects and critical skills to meaningful work!
    Not true, people argue about nonsense on the internet in good times and bad.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    EO & MyUserName

An interesting and well argued debate from both sides, you are both to be congratulated. The likes of sasguru and minestrone could learn a thing or two about arguing without resorting to childish insults.

You have raised the tone of CUK today. Thankyou.
    Well I can assure you that was not our intention!!

Only joking . To be honest I thought I was getting quite uncivil and was a little embarrassed!!! Although I put it down to lack of sleep and then finding someone to vent on - luckily EO's skin is thick enough.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    EO & MyUserName

An interesting and well argued debate from both sides, you are both to be congratulated. The likes of sasguru and minestrone could learn a thing or two about arguing without resorting to childish insults.

You have raised the tone of CUK today. Thankyou.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    British Airways gives a $25 refund on the surcharge for changing tickets over the phone of you cannot do it online.

You can fly from San Diego to London.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I have discovered that recessions are terrible things, that make otherwise intelligent people argue about nonsense on the internet when they would otherwise be applying their intellects and critical skills to meaningful work!
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    well the Romans fought thousands of battles over hundreds of years, they lost many and won most.
    The fact that this was despite the gladius and not because of it was covered above.

Other armies that were primarily sword (off the top of my head)
    Samnite
    Etruscan
    Samurai
    Teutonic knights (two handed)
    The Gauls had a lot of swords (mostly mild steel)
    Teutonis knights were not an army. They were ... well ... knights which were formed as part of an army. One normally staffed by polemen. Not all of them used zweihänders. Although this is a moot point as I stated previously two handed swords are an exception as they are basically used as short pole weapons.

Samurai were not an army - they were a social class. They fought on the battlefields originally as horse archers and by the time they were mainly carrying their swords they did not do much other than fight other samurai. They actually made very little difference on battlefields by then and would have been killed by a few spearmen.

So these two examples are simply wrong.

I doubt very much that the Samnite, Etruscan and Gauls field armies of primarily swordsmen. This is due to the high cost of swords compared to spears and the increased amount of training required to use a sword rather than a spear.

Being as this is your subject, could you provide some primary sources for this?

Also, please see my thought experiement which you have forgotten to mention.

Pretty much every army used polearms in some form as its primary weapon. This is mainly due to the facts that swords:

1 Take a lot of space to use effectively unless you are going to use them as short spears like a gladius

2 Have limited range (compared to polearms)

3 Are ineffective against armoured opponents unless you can use two hands on it which requires that you have heavy body armour to avoid being stabbed by long range polearms or hit by an arrow.

4 Are expensive due to the cost of production compared to a spear

5 Take much longer to learn to use effectively than a spear

6 Cannot be used in multiple lines like spear

The point is, as a weapons system, against the right weapons sytem, they are deadly. They do not 'suck'
    that should be clear to you now
    The only time a sword is a good weapon is when your enemy has a shorter sword or is asleep. Otherwise you have to rely on other advantages to win (like the Romans did) and not use the swords as sword (like the Roman's didn't).

It would be suicide for army of roughly equal equipment, skill and organisation to it's enemy to have fielded swords against polearms, that is why it never happened apart from the extreme example of the Romans and probably a couple of edge cases.

If the above reasons and my thought experiment did not make it clear to you then I am at a loss, it simply does not get any more obvious.
    Last edited by MyUserName; 8 June 2012, 09:02. Reason: Reformatting to make things vaguely understandable!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Keep a small toothbrush next to your computer.

use it to

clean bottom of mouse
    clean keyboard
    scratch that irritating bit just between your shoulderblades

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I quite liked Lucy Lawless back in the day.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    I absolutely disagree - recessions are great, this is informed, interesting nonsense, I prefer this over house prices, the European economy and xenophobia any day.
    I quite liked Lucy Lawless back in the day.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I will have a look in to these although my first thought is "Out of how many battles?"

And btw that is not what I asked, I asked how many armies had swords as primaries. Please do not hide from the questions.

Also, how did you do in my thought experiment?
    well the Romans fought thousands of battles over hundreds of years, they lost many and won most.

Other armies that were primarily sword (off the top of my head)
    Samnite
    Etruscan
    Samurai
    Teutonic knights (two handed)
    The Gauls had a lot of swords (mostly mild steel)

The point is, as a weapons system, against the right weapons sytem, they are deadly. They do not 'suck'
    that should be clear to you now

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I absolutely disagree - recessions are great, this is informed, interesting nonsense, I prefer this over house prices, the European economy and xenophobia any day.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    A list of battles where a smaller number of troops with 3 foot swords defeated larger number of troops armed with spears or pikes

off the top of my head ?

not Cannae
    Zama
    Metaurus
    Alesia (against the gauls)
    Britain - against boudicca

not bad for those silly little swords eh ?

I will have a look in to these although my first thought is "Out of how many battles?"

And btw that is not what I asked, I asked how many armies had swords as primaries. Please do not hide from the questions.

Also, how did you do in my thought experiment?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X