• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car insurance - How much???"

Collapse

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    Wife's car insurance is due later this month. She's been driving 18mths, is 34 yrs old, no claims, but no NCB (was named on a policy in my name has i had company car at the time!). Drives a fiesta 1.2 shed worth about £800, less than 4k miles per year. Quotes for her: £1100+ It's a micky take and no wonder there are loads of uninsured drivers about!!!

I drive a semi-hot hatch (boy racer car, but top end diesel) valued at £24k, 35yrs old, 15-20k miles per year, business use, 5 years no claims, clean license: my quotes £650 (unless i put her on it, then it jumps to £1200... ).

Just doesnt make sense how they make their prices up...
    It does make sense: She is an inexperienced driver with only 18 months under her belt. These drivers account for most of the accidents.

And the car only costing £800 makes no difference. She hits a Rolls, that's a £250k bill if she writes it off; she hits a Bugatti, that's... (you get the idea.) She hits a person and seriously injures or kills them, the claim could be a small fortune.

Sorry, but until she gets a few more years NCB, things are going to look grim, comparatively speaking.

Still, as others have said, all you can do is phone around. I managed to halve the insurance on my motorbike recently by doing this.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    make sure you're a named driver on her policy, it lowers the premium.

Maybe put her old dad on there too... I hear that a couple of "low risk" additional drivers lowers the premium. It worked for my daughter!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Another thing to watch for is the apr if you pay monthly. My wife was through Kwik tulip and the renewal came through at about the same as her previous year, but the monthly amounts had gone up massively. The apr was 50.1%

Where you live also plays a huge part. My Mondeo at home never dropped below £500 yet when I started to keep it down south when I lived at my mates the quote from direct line was for £270. I did a search based on the address of the flat where it will be staying - doing rock all miles, kept in a residents only secured car park near the dome and its back to £500

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    My NCB is in use on my policy, hence why she needs to have her own policy and start getting some. She has only been driving 18mths. Using my NCB twice is illegal, but what is the point of her using a policy in my name with my NCB, she still doesnt get an NCB of her own! Not sure how that is of help to her?

Seems it is you who need to look at the bigger picture and do some thinking, but i do like some of your unhelpful posts!!
    I mean to put the cost in perspective. You are comparing her 1100 with no NCB to your 650 with 5 years NCB. If she had 5 years it would cost her 715 which is comparable to yours.

Answers your question..

Just doesnt make sense how they make their prices up...

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Problem I found with Admiral is that every company has a risk profile which changes. I was with Esure paying 650 for a sports car, next year it was 2k. Went somewhere else and got 650 again. If one of the cars/drivers drops out of the Admiral risk area it will end up costing you more than if you quote individually. Admiral just didn't work with 2 normal cars and a sports car for me. Shopping around is a pain in the ass but definately worth doing every year.
    i have 2 clios and a fiesta so nothing for them to get excited about, never had to claim so not sure what they would be like in that situation but even if they bump the price next year at least he as had a years insurance for considerably less money and hopefully another years no claims

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied

What on earth do you think they were going to give her for NCB. Take the NCB off and requote yours.
    My NCB is in use on my policy, hence why she needs to have her own policy and start getting some. She has only been driving 18mths. Using my NCB twice is illegal, but what is the point of her using a policy in my name with my NCB, she still doesnt get an NCB of her own! Not sure how that is of help to her?

Seems it is you who need to look at the bigger picture and do some thinking, but i do like some of your unhelpful posts!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Seat Leon FR+ 170BHP 2.0TDI. Insurance companies class it as semi-hot... I class it as a nippy car that still does 45mpg when you average 80+mph on a 200 mile journey.
    Skoda do the Octavia and Fabia diesels in a vRS spec, both go like stink and considered hot hatches as well.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    Admiral multicar, I have 3 cars on a multicar policy and one is driven by my 19 year old son and the policy for his car is now in his name and it took his premium from £1400 (named Driver on my policy) to £700, never claimed so not sure what their like from that respect but cheaper than all the other quotes i had
    Problem I found with Admiral is that every company has a risk profile which changes. I was with Esure paying 650 for a sports car, next year it was 2k. Went somewhere else and got 650 again. If one of the cars/drivers drops out of the Admiral risk area it will end up costing you more than if you quote individually. Admiral just didn't work with 2 normal cars and a sports car for me. Shopping around is a pain in the ass but definately worth doing every year.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    what exactly is a "boy racer car, top end diesel"? I'm struggling to think what it could be.

1st thought was a Peugot 205 Diesel but then that doesn't match the price
    Diesel Golf? Focus?

BMW 5 series diesel would match all but the boy racer bit as not many boys can afford a 5 series

do tell..
    Seat Leon FR+ 170BHP 2.0TDI. Insurance companies class it as semi-hot... I class it as a nippy car that still does 45mpg when you average 80+mph on a 200 mile journey.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    19 year old lad less than £700???.. Good luck with that!!
    I had him as a named driver on my policy "yes i know its fronting but thats the way it is" and the policy was £1400 or £3000 on his own policy, when my policy came up for renewal i renewed both my cars with Admiral, then his came up for renewal a couple of months later so i called them up expecting them to laugh at me and asked them to quote for his car with him as the main driver on the car and they came back with £700, the excess is £500 on a 2 grand car

Thats fully comp, TPFT as been more expensive on every quote i have had

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Interesting as my 19 year old son has had his own policy for nearly 2 years. Will get him to check around before he goes for the easy renewal.

He gives me money each pay day so that he is ready for insurance, tax and servicing. We have budgeted this year for £1625 with 2 yrs NCB.

Be nice if we can get it down to £700. Is that for TPFT cover?
    19 year old lad less than £700???.. Good luck with that!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Well for a start having no NCB means she loses up to 65% and bearing in mind the stats of people that have accidents within the first 2 years of driving I would say that is pretty par for the course.

What on earth do you think they were going to give her for NCB. Take the NCB off and requote yours.

Values of car mean f all nowadays as well and 3rd party is more hassle for the insurers hence them not being priced cheaper as you would expect. The majority of your premium goes towards the costs being claimed against you in an accident. Her car might be worth 800 or worth 50K, they don't care. It is peanuts compared to the personal injury claims the 3rd party will make against you. Remember you can do the same damage to someone elses 80K car in an 800 fiesta or 24k Beemer.

Need to think about it a little better IMO.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 1 June 2012, 10:53.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    Admiral multicar, I have 3 cars on a multicar policy and one is driven by my 19 year old son and the policy for his car is now in his name and it took his premium from £1400 (named Driver on my policy) to £700, never claimed so not sure what their like from that respect but cheaper than all the other quotes i had
    Interesting as my 19 year old son has had his own policy for nearly 2 years. Will get him to check around before he goes for the easy renewal.

He gives me money each pay day so that he is ready for insurance, tax and servicing. We have budgeted this year for £1625 with 2 yrs NCB.

Be nice if we can get it down to £700. Is that for TPFT cover?

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Be careful with the ‘auto-renewals’. I used to be the type who didn’t check as it hardly varied much. Maybe it’s something they are trying on, as this year they quoted around £700 from £400 and I shopped around and got something for £350 ish.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    what exactly is a "boy racer car, top end diesel"? I'm struggling to think what it could be.

1st thought was a Peugot 205 Diesel but then that doesn't match the price
    Diesel Golf? Focus?

BMW 5 series diesel would match all but the boy racer bit as not many boys can afford a 5 series

do tell..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X