• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is there ant such thing as 'computer glasses'?"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Glasses are 99p at The 99p Store. Anyone who spends more, like £1 at The Pound Shop is an idiot.
    I spent £400 for a pair of gig lamps for reading, and I just know I'll sit on them sooner or later

To the OP - Get your eyes measured, and retinas checked out, at a professional optometrist. They're obliged to give you your measurements, although obviously they would prefer you to buy an expensive pair of specs. They'll probably also recommend you buy a pair of varifocals, optimised to look at a PC screen and look down to read something on a desk.

For the £400 I paid I have a nice pair with a titanium frame, although for that price they should have non-scratch sapphire lenses

I find the 1.5's on sale for £10 in Sainsburys are fine for PC work.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    It's called an intermediate prescription. Typically halfway between your distance and near vision prescriptions.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    If Hector complains they can jog on
    It's quite specifically an acceptable expense.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Thanks for your answers. So 'vdu' seems to be the magic keyword. I'll speak to my optician soon. Pity my optician is bit of a twit...

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    Hi, I've just bumped into this:
    What are possible adjustments for 'computer glasses' at high myopia levels? - sci.med.vision | Google Groups

I didn't know there was such a thing as computer glasses. My vision is deteriorating and to be honest I don't trust the high street opticians' advices as they are only motivated by marketing. Has anybody ever been prescribed 'computer glasses'?
    Yes I use them. They also have a different focal point to my reading glasses.
    Make sure you give accurate distance eyes to screen when being prescribed, as 6" can make a hell of a difference (yes I know some of you often dream of 6 inches).

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    I specifically asked for VDU glasses, ey gave me a prescription for glasses for computer use and my company paid for the glasses

You mean "Optical accessories for company computer"

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    I specifically asked for VDU glasses, ey gave me a prescription for glasses for computer use and my company paid for the glasses

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Glasses are 99p at The 99p Store. Anyone who spends more, like £1 at The Pound Shop is an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    The general idea is to get your infinity, where your eyes don't need to accommodate (focus), at say 1m. Which for normally sighted people would be a -1 D prescription. For older people a prescription of some kind to focus under 1m without strain would be almost universally a necessity, but I think it would also be good thing for young people to do this, as I firmly believe in the link between myopia and close work.

Leave a comment:

• Is there ant such thing as 'computer glasses'?

Hi, I've just bumped into this:
    http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.vision/browse_thread/thread/c153c049cbad1d52#

I didn't know there was such a thing as computer glasses. My vision is deteriorating and to be honest I don't trust the high street opticians' advices as they are only motivated by marketing. Has anybody ever been prescribed 'computer glasses'?

Working...
X