• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Canary Islands - any tips?"

Collapse

• oscarose
    replied
    Cheers for the link.

Just booked 2 weeks via Travelsupermarket for around £500 at the 'Pez Azul Apartments' in Puerto de la Cruz.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Never been to Tenerife but i saw the best example of sunburn I've ever seen on a Scottish bloke in Lanzarote. I was laughing for days afterwards.
    It’s those trade winds that catch you out and we’re talking about a jock… probably drank a bottle of whisky or 2 and fell asleep in the midday sun.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Never been to Tenerife but i saw the best example of sunburn I've ever seen on a Scottish bloke in Lanzarote. I was laughing for days afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    My tip - dont go.

dont even think about it.

Not that I have ever been myself mind, but I had this mate right, and it was the worst 4 years and two weeks of his life.
    He spent two weeks being persued by a lovely raven haired nymph, but he was faithful to his wife and rejected her, turns out she was a boy dressed up as a bird, with real norks and all, and she reported him to the police for 'arguido de la burito' which translates as 'suspected of molesting donkeys'

Turned out the lad was actually the son(daughter?) of the chief of police who had my mate arrested at the airport as he was due to fly out. When the consul arrived the police had fitted him up, and had xrays of him with six condoms full of stuff in his lower intestines.
    The consul wasnt much help either, he said that if the police had fitted him up, the drugs would not have had time to go through his stomache. but my mate told him that they hadnt gone in through his mouth

bottom line was , he got 12 months for being a mule and 3 years for molesting a donkey

dont go. dont even think about it

no word of a lie gov

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Very impressive.

Thanks for the info. Definitely going to give Puerto del la Cruz serious consideration and looks a safer bet than Los Cristianos away from the scrubbers and dross of Las Americas.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    Puerto del la Cruz sounds good, particularly the walking, as I like to be doing something on holiday but the lack of beach could result in some earache.
    The Lido is great, really!

Lago Martianez, the Lido, Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife - a set on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    I too have fond memories of Tenerife for all the wrong reasons. A mate of mine came back with more than he went with shall we say, in Americas, and I remember meeting a lovely girl from Cambridge who could "suck the chrome off a BMX"
    Last edited by ChrisPackit; 25 May 2012, 13:07.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Had the worst holiday of my life years ago in Las Americas, apartment was awful and next to what turned out to be the local fighting spot with gangs of lads brawling and glassing each other into the wee small hours, couple of times came down the apartment stairs in the morning to find used syringes lying in the stairwell. Weather was tulip too for the whole week and didn't like the beaches. Serves me right for booking a last minute cheap holiday to chav town.

For that reason i'd never consider the Canaries again even though i'm sure it has some nice spots just steer clear of Tenerife.
    I have much fonder memories of Las Americas from many years ago, in particular an Irish chick drawing blood following an overly enthusiastic BJ.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Nope, can't agree with this.

South Tenerife is as Durbs says, but don't paint the whole of Tenerife like it because it isn't.

I love Puerto del La Cruz. It's a great little resort and has a fantastic Lido (with 7 pools) that more than makes up for a lack of a Sandy beach.

And that area has some of the best walking in the Canaries. Mt Teide is stunning.
    Puerto del la Cruz sounds good, particularly the walking, as I like to be doing something on holiday but the lack of beach could result in some earache.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    This dropped into my inbox recently -Canaries £99 for 7 days with choice of resorts...but flights not included

HTH

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post

For that reason i'd never consider the Canaries again even though i'm sure it has some nice spots just steer clear of Tenerife.
    Nope, can't agree with this.

South Tenerife is as Durbs says, but don't paint the whole of Tenerife like it because it isn't.

I love Puerto del La Cruz. It's a great little resort and has a fantastic Lido (with 7 pools) that more than makes up for a lack of a Sandy beach.

And that area has some of the best walking in the Canaries. Mt Teide is stunning.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Had the worst holiday of my life years ago in Las Americas, apartment was awful and next to what turned out to be the local fighting spot with gangs of lads brawling and glassing each other into the wee small hours, couple of times came down the apartment stairs in the morning to find used syringes lying in the stairwell. Weather was tulip too for the whole week and didn't like the beaches. Serves me right for booking a last minute cheap holiday to chav town.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Los Cristianos has been mentioned but looks a bit too close to Playa de las Americas for comfort. Full of bobs selling tulip on the streets.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Canary Islands General Tips - Reviews - VirtualTourist

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Check out the camping site on the south of the island as I've been thinking of staying there, or look for suitable wild camping spots, ideally near a shop as there are no streams. Not so much a tip as a request.
    Not sure about camping as there could be some nasties in the undergrowth but I’ll do a bit of research.

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Erm, it will still be hot in Tenerife in September!
    The trade winds generally keep the temperatures comfortable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X