• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Getting asked for train ticket on platforms? A new thing?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    You don't have to be such a knob - All I was pointing out was that even easyjet will offer a reprint of a boarding pass but Virgin will not offer a reprint of a ticket that costs £160 to travel from Manchester to London. I realise it's my fault that I lost it, but given I have proof of purchase, it was booked online, I have the booking ref and collection ref, it seems somewhat stupid that they can't simply produce a reprint.

Sorry you lost your £20
    Maybe trains don't have the same infrastructure... you can sometimes just show your passport on planes, or at least they can check you are on the list with it. There isn't a centralised system for train tickets, is there? You can buy one from a machine with cash/card and there's no record that you have a ticket unlike on a plane.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I watched that this week

Ryanair will charge you €50 to print a boarding pass at the airport if you lose yours, but that's hardly surprising.
    Cheaper that the £160 I have to pay to Virgin for the replacement. I'd take a £50 fee!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I lost a £20 note the other day. Its terrible that you cant get a replacement for free.
    You don't have to be such a knob - All I was pointing out was that even easyjet will offer a reprint of a boarding pass but Virgin will not offer a reprint of a ticket that costs £160 to travel from Manchester to London. I realise it's my fault that I lost it, but given I have proof of purchase, it was booked online, I have the booking ref and collection ref, it seems somewhat stupid that they can't simply produce a reprint.

Sorry you lost your £20

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I've watched a few episodes of Airline (US version) on daytime TV this week. Seems like not all ticketing in the US is electronic yet, so if you lose your plane ticket, you have to buy another. Suffice to say when this happens it leads to much shouting and indignation. It's quite entertaining
    I watched that this week

Ryanair will charge you €50 to print a boarding pass at the airport if you lose yours, but that's hardly surprising.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Are you Greek?
    Do you get a replacement for free if you are Greek? How can I become Greek?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I lost a £20 note the other day. Its terrible that you cant get a replacement for free.
    Are you Greek?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    The train companies really take the piss at times. If you lose your ticket you have to buy a replacement. If you are flying and you lose your boarding pass you can get it reprinted either for free or for a small fee. This week I realised I lost my tickets for my weekend commute. Now that I am close to the travel dates the replacement costs for these tickets is about £160 each way.
    I've watched a few episodes of Airline (US version) on daytime TV this week. Seems like not all ticketing in the US is electronic yet, so if you lose your plane ticket, you have to buy another. Suffice to say when this happens it leads to much shouting and indignation. It's quite entertaining

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    The train companies really take the piss at times. If you lose your ticket you have to buy a replacement. If you are flying and you lose your boarding pass you can get it reprinted either for free or for a small fee. This week I realised I lost my tickets for my weekend commute. Now that I am close to the travel dates the replacement costs for these tickets is about £160 each way.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    A few months ago I boarded the train at paddington and took seat opposite a rather distinguished looking gentleman who looked over the top of his reading glasses at me and in very cultured tones said "You do realise that this is first class"

I Replied "You do realise that you are sat in my pre-booked seat"

Her left the carriage and about 5 min's later the guard/conductor came and checked my ticket.

Only mine! there were several other people in the carriage.

Snidy little snot nosed toad
    A few years back, a mate of mine was working on an MoD project. Even though he was a civvie, he also had a military rank based on his role on the project.

Squaddie plonks himself down in first class on the train.

Mate: Have you got a first class ticket?
    Squaddie: No.
    Mate: So you're going to leave then?
    Squaddie: No. What's it to ya?
    Mate: Well I'm Lt Colonel <name>, who are you?
    Squaddie: <jumps up, salutes, grabs bags>Sorry, sir<leaves>

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
    You would purchase one of these if you were seeing somebody off / meeting someone on the plataforma.
    To be said in an Italian accent?

Leave a comment:

• garethevans1986
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    All this talk of tickets is making me think of Gricer.
    Where is the old chap? He was certainly a member of this forum who had a stonking great interest in trains.
    "Gricer" is a term for somebody who takes loco/coach/wagon/fire extinguisher numbers down.

GE

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm Buggeridge
    replied
    When I was a boy there were platform tickets costing 5p. You would purchase one of these if you were seeing somebody off / meeting someone on the plataforma.

Or if you were a trainspotter.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    He was checking you had 2 tickets - with your shoulders you are never going to fit into 1 seat.

HTH

Okay - seriously - you looked like a terrorist....
    Maybe it was the rucksack

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    A few months ago I boarded the train at paddington and took seat opposite a rather distinguished looking gentleman who looked over the top of his reading glasses at me and in very cultured tones said "You do realise that this is first class"

I Replied "You do realise that you are sat in my pre-booked seat"

Her left the carriage and about 5 min's later the guard/conductor came and checked my ticket.

Only mine! there were several other people in the carriage.

Snidy little snot nosed toad
    He was checking you had 2 tickets - with your shoulders you are never going to fit into 1 seat.

HTH

Okay - seriously - you looked like a terrorist....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X