• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "S3 will be fastest selling gadget in history"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Are you holding yourself up as an example of "normal"?

What's The ******* Problem, Bitch?
    On a normality scale containing me and you, then yes I do consider myself to be at the "normal" end of the scale

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    No, according to urban dictionary it's a sexual practice involving bacon rashers and anus insertions.
    & Lashings of bacon lube no doubt

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Sound's like a name for a Dutch condom.
    No, according to urban dictionary it's a sexual practice involving bacon rashers and anus insertions.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Yep, and it's called a 'Wolfgang'.
    Sound's like a name for a Dutch condom.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Yeah but you're foreign.
    Yep, and it's called a 'Wolfgang'.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    I bought an Aldi android and I'm very pleased with it. innit.
    Yeah but you're foreign.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I bought an Aldi android and I'm very pleased with it. innit.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

Can you put that in a sentence for normal people to understand
    Are you holding yourself up as an example of "normal"?

What's The ******* Problem, Bitch?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Can you get one for £29.99? Thought not.
    Yes you can even get it for free if you sign up for 5 years contract at £100 per month.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    I'm using a Galaxy S2 at the moment. I had an HTC running Windows Phone 6.1 before that, and an iPhone 2 before that. I also use an Asus Transformer tablet, running Android ICS.

Of the above, whilst I do quite like some features of Android, I'd have to say it's the spammiest of the three offerings. E.g., I constantly get pop-up messages telling me that I have GPS and network location disabled, when I'm not even using applications that should need to access those features. I switched them off for a reason, and I don't want to have popup nagware built into the operating system that continually complains about the choices I've made.

Additionally, I find that some fairly basic things just don't work well in Android. E.g., in the standard browser, bookmarks appear in some random order that it's impossible for you as the user to control. It's not alphanumeric, and it doesn't appear to be related to how frequently you use a given bookmark, or even the order they were created in. And, in the recent tablet update to ICS, reflow of text in the browser (which had worked very well in the previous version of Android) is now laggy and buggy – you need to resize the screen several times before the text will reformat itself correctly. Also, creating new bookmarks is a pain since the update: you need to create them as the page is loading, because the button that allows you to create them disappears after that!

Most notable I find with Android, though, is that when you're surfing, you get to see the web in all its non-AdBlocked gory (and I think I do mean "gory"). When you're using YouTube, you get ads. When you're browsing forums, you get ads. When you're just trying to use Google ...you get the idea. These are all irritations that I'd largely forgotten about whilst being spoiled and using AdBlock Plus in conjunction with Firefox on my laptop.

The best thing about Android, though, is the fact I can carry a tonne of Wrox technical books around, without dislocating my spine, and without having to pack my Kindle. Whilst physical Kindle devices are great for some scenarios, Kindle For Android is even better at showing the full-colour diagrams, etc, that are sometimes used to supplement technical books.

Of the three, I think I'd go for a nice HTC with the latest Windows Phone operating system next time around. I was very happy with my old HTC. But we'll see when the time comes around.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    A guy in the office got an S3 today. They take micro-sim cards.

His provider sent it with a standard sim card.

Lots of cutting and measuring later ( yup, that's the order they worked in), one working S3 with a cut-down sim held in with sticky-tape.

Teknowlogey my arse.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Can you get one for £29.99? Thought not.

Recharging. That's the real problem with smart phones. My ordinary little Samsung lasts for weeks, the Android last a day or two.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 7 June 2012, 21:44.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I use old PAYG Samsung phone - recharge it once every 3 weeks or so ...
    Don't worry; One day you'll be able to afford a nice one.. or one of the phone companies will give in and allow you to take out a contract

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    WTFPB

Can you put that in a sentence for normal people to understand

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I use old PAYG Samsung phone - recharge it once every 3 weeks or so ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X