• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Have you taken young kids abroad?"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It was on points

They are in for a real shock when they have to get on a plane and turn right!!

The best deal I've had for an upgrade was on US Airways - $500 a ticket to upgrade from economy to business. It was nearly $2 to the pound, and they inadvertently upgraded my wife and I to first for $500 each. That was worthwhile.
    I'd do that. I usually pay about £100 extra each to go permium economy.

But I aint paying 5x more for business to the tune of about £3.5K each.

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Took my son, now six, when he was 18 months old on a plane to Canaries. Just as they switched the Fasten Seatbelts sign on as you're about to land, my son did the biggest poo known to man. It went through all his clothes, and stunk the plane out. The smell was eye watering. Couldn't go to the bathrooms to change him as we were in descent, and had to wait in a queue of people to get off whilst holding him at arms lengths, like you might hold a bomb. Then had to wait to go through passport control before we could get to a bathroom, where we threw all his clothes in the bin.

The joys of having kids on holiday...
    lol been there

friday pm flight to edinburgh with 1 years old daughter as we're taxing to the runway, wife's breast feeding, daughter decides to throw up all over herself and the wife, stank the plane out, business commuters not happy

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    never taken them on a flight, but I have taken them on long car journeys (8 hours).
    I normally set off at about 3am, this avoids any traffic problems, and the kids sleep through. I took them down to Devon and they were amazed how close it was to Manchester, only 5 minutes away

It is a full time job to keep them entertained though.
    This year I am trying something different, a week in Centre Parcs for about 2k

For 2K or a little more you could get 2 weeks in Orlando if you shop around and they are not too young for a long haul flight. Most decent airlines will have things to keep them amused. There are books, crayons, travel size games and in flight entertainment.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    We've just got back from Lanzerote with our two (10 months and 4 years). No problems either way, we had booked a hire car and a nice villa. Found the £ went a long way for a change.

We booked extra leg room on the flights, meant there was somewhere for the oldest to play/wiggle around without disturbing anyone. We also took a portable DVD player for him.

The youngest was fed as soon as we got on the flights and slept most of the way both ways.

We are off to Majorca in August to stay in a great family friendly hotel, the kids share a room and we sleep on a sofa bed in the lounge (the lounge in our suite, not the hotel lounge, although if the youngest kicks off I might consider it).

So my message would be just go for it

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I went to a gig in Australia back in 2002. Paid for 1st class one way with Cathay, through a broker. Was around A$4500 iirc (3 to the £). Best money I have ever spent. Got to Heathrow to be ushered into a wood panelled lounge area with Massueses and every conceivable drink known to mankind, plus a menu. I got on and off the plane progressively drunker, and more fed. Stopped at HK for a 12 hour lay over, and got even worse, and fatter, and more massaged.

Got off, finally, at Cairns in about as worse a state as I have been on a night out, let alone a flight. I couldn't get comfy on the seats either, and tried sleeping on the floor (I was told 'we' didn't do this in first). Anyway, the longshot is that the jet lag was 100 times worse, and took me 4 days to get over. I have thus deduced that you simply get a better class of jet lag in first.

Got bumped on a business flight to Geneva once. Stayed sober this time, and it was much better.

Thanks for tip on US Air

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The only airline with semi-affordable business class seems to be Virgin... they are only 2-3X as much compared to 7X as much!
    As above - if you wait until 24 hours before the flight, US Airways will sell you an upgrade for $500 a ticket if there are seats available. First class is an extra $300.

Coming back from America a couple of years back, we nabbed the last two seats by ringing up 23 hours and 59 minuted before the flight

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Business class, eh? You're 'considerably richer than me' sir..... :-)

Always wassed off that business is so expensive. Dont mind paying extra but its TONS more than economy. Go economy plus when we can but its still nowhere near to be honest.
    The only airline with semi-affordable business class seems to be Virgin... they are only 2-3X as much compared to 7X as much!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Always wassed off that business is so expensive. Dont mind paying extra but its TONS more than economy. Go economy plus when we can but its still nowhere near to be honest.
    It was on points

They are in for a real shock when they have to get on a plane and turn right!!

The best deal I've had for an upgrade was on US Airways - $500 a ticket to upgrade from economy to business. It was nearly $2 to the pound, and they inadvertently upgraded my wife and I to first for $500 each. That was worthwhile.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    First flight we did was to Paris two years ago. Elder daughter would have been 7, younger one nearly 4. Simple, short flight to see if they liked it or if it would be a nightmare.

Last year we did Manchester to Frankfurt to Atlanta. Then Atlanta to Denver, and then Denver to Frankfurt to Manchester. Long transatlantic flights, but the girls loved it. Flying business class made it somewhat easier, though, as they could curl up in a big flat seat and go to sleep, and the stewardesses were pretty attentive.

That all said, we tend to do trips to France by car instead, or take the campervan to France and travel around a bit.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    We have a holiday booked for Centre Parcs in Nov, but the wife wants to cancel now she's seen the costs of the activities... Why do you think it's so good? (genuine question, we've never been!)
    Are you sure your Mrs isn't just put off by reading this thread on Mumsnet? Center Parcs & Anal sex (full thread) | Mumsnet Discussion

We've been a few times in winter and really enjoyed it - peace and quiet in the countryside. Probably wouldn't do it now, though, as we're limited to term time and it would be expensive and busy. A few years back, my sister went to the one at Longleat because their February half-term was a week out from other parts of the country - it was cheaper to be in a top of the range lodge in Longleat that week than in a basic lodge in the Lake District.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    No, not a Missing McCann thread (IMO she did it!), but have you taken young children on holiday (flights etc)? The wife is a little off the idea as the kids on a flight for up to 4hrs is not something she fancies. Kids are 3 & 5.

Also, having a 16yr old lad, we dont really want to do a package holiday where we are all in the same room...

We're just struggling to see why you'd pay so much when we can drive down to france with regular breaks etc and stay in a cottage.
    First flight we did was to Paris two years ago. Elder daughter would have been 7, younger one nearly 4. Simple, short flight to see if they liked it or if it would be a nightmare.

Last year we did Manchester to Frankfurt to Atlanta. Then Atlanta to Denver, and then Denver to Frankfurt to Manchester. Long transatlantic flights, but the girls loved it. Flying business class made it somewhat easier, though, as they could curl up in a big flat seat and go to sleep, and the stewardesses were pretty attentive.

That all said, we tend to do trips to France by car instead, or take the campervan to France and travel around a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Splurge out on special time with your kids, great holidays are remembered forever.
    I couldn't agree more. My wife has asked me to take 6 every summer holidays off work from now on so we can spend them all together. They really will remember the great holidays.

Great advice. Money is just money.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    We have a holiday booked for Centre Parcs in Nov, but the wife wants to cancel now she's seen the costs of the activities... Why do you think it's so good? (genuine question, we've never been!)
    That would be a mistake which you'll very much regret in a year or two. Splurge out on special time with your kids, great holidays are remembered forever.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I'm over long haul now anyway. Kids just want to be outdoors, kayaking, swimming, surfing, horse riding, and we get that all in our new pad in the South West of France. The business has a motorhome, which we hire if we want to use it, so go places other than there is we need to. Cornwall BH weekend, then a week in West Wales after.

France filthy cheap just now. I mean, filthy, filthy, filthy cheap.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    my daughter doesn't do that type of thing

She did when she was younger

Leave a comment:

Working...
X