• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Get rid of your Greek and Spanish Euros...."

Collapse

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    There was suppose to be a sense of irony in my post. Obviously it failed.
    Riiiiiiiight.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    I'm on holiday to eurozone the week after next, whats the opionion on when the best time to convert my £ is, you recon I should just leave it till the last minute as the rate is only going to get better
    Don't expect massive currency fluctuations in the short term.
    or just use cash points over there ?
    My policy is 50% hard cash and 50% cash points, but it all depends on how much you want to spend. Then it depends by the country. I have always been ripped off in the Netherlands but I had good deals in Florence and Rome.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Not enough "d"s in that sentence for my liking.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Err surely that would be 0/2 which is 0? You're thinking of 2/0 which isn't the same thing at all. I _really_ hope your job doesn't involve an element of mathematics.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Use it to buy spelling lessons.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I'm on holiday to eurozone the week after next, whats the opionion on when the best time to convert my £ is, you recon I should just leave it till the last minute as the rate is only going to get better / or just use cash points over there ?
    Work out what the charges are going to be for using an ATM in Europe - for example it's cheaper to get a cash advance on my credit card than to use a First Direct cash card because of their charges.

We're going in the summer and will leave it until the last minute to get some cash, and top up if necessary while abroad (MrsF has some ideas about things to buy to sell in her shop).

If you haven't got a decent card for overseas spending, it's too late now anyway. If paying by card, make sure you know what you're going to get charged - my Tesco credit card is one of the worst for spending abroad with, because they make up their own exchange rate.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Err surely that would be 0/2 which is 0? You're thinking of 2/0 which isn't the same thing at all. I _really_ hope your job doesn't involve an element of mathematics.

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    I'm on holiday to eurozone the week after next, whats the opionion on when the best time to convert my £ is, you recon I should just leave it till the last minute as the rate is only going to get better / or just use cash points over there ?
    Hedge your bets, convert some now and some later. If it goes down, you'll feel good that you did partially well; if it goes up, you'll feel pleased that you managed the risk.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Your bank will screw you on the ATM. If I were in the same position, I'd wait until a few days before. Each day is going up and down, with the trend being down. The long wait until Greek elections is going to affect the value downwards, imo, unless somethig is said conceeding ground to the greeks soon.

That's what i would do.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Half of nothing results in a div/0 error. Not a great deal.... I'll got to my local bureau de change if you don't mind.

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    Important notice to the whole board: your Greek and Spanish Euros are worth nothing!
    But I will buy them for half the face value. The same goes for your worthless gold and silver coins. Or I can swap them with very effective penis enlargement pills I've bought from the desk of Mr Khan Omar Ali Saeed. Am I not generous?
    Half of nothing results in a div/0 error. Not a great deal.... I'll got to my local bureau de change if you don't mind.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    See the parallels?

Cause and effect gets very blurred when people follow "sage" advice...
    Not having petrol and not losing a few hundred quid, maybe more, is different.

I didn't panic about the petrol, as I would have lost nothing. No parallels here

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Important notice to the whole board: your Greek and Spanish Euros are worth nothing!
    But I will buy them for half the face value. The same goes for your worthless gold and silver coins. Or I can swap them with very effective penis enlargement pills I've bought from the desk of Mr Khan Omar Ali Saeed. Am I not generous?
    Last edited by petergriffin; 16 May 2012, 09:27. Reason: Optional

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I don;'t get it Spod, all he's said is be conservative and fill up with petrol. I think, in the circumstances, it's actually sage advice.
    See the parallels?

Cause and effect gets very blurred when people follow "sage" advice...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X