• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: How to get into IT

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to get into IT"

Collapse

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Indeed we have. Of course it is taken as read that there is an exception to every rule.
    I asked for that! Well played.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    I didn't know we'd met
    Indeed we have. Of course it is taken as read that there is an exception to every rule.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    +1. I have a degree - but some of the best people I have worked with had A-levels.
    I didn't know we'd met

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Erm...

You don't need a degree to get a decent job in IT.

Just saying, like...
    +1. I have a degree - but some of the best people I have worked with had A-levels.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Erm...

You don't need a degree to get a decent job in IT.

Just saying, like...

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    Not quite, the OU is still expensive and produces all their own material.

When you've got Stanford, MIT, Harvard, etc putting up excellent classes for free online you'd question why someone would pay nine grand a year at Wolverhampton Poly, or however many grand at the OU, for something not as good.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    It's interesting because at the same time more and more courses are available for free. From the best universities with the best teaching methods and teachers. If you are only interested in gaining the knowledge then these are better in many ways than any traditional uni course I have ever taken.

I can see a gap in the market for accreditation there. An enterprising university could offer budget courses where all the material and lectures are from the free open source university programs but additional assignments and exams are given by the university.
    What like the OU?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    This, to me at least, is the kicker.

Without an education, I would have achieved zilch in life. And my background was very poor, so I feel a deep, deep sympathy for any student today faced with a similar situation.

When you look at some of the excellent work many American Universities have done, or are in the progress of doing, in making their courses available on the Internet, I can't help but feel this has to be the future of education. In my three years at Uni., I felt the vast majority of it could have been made available on-line for a fraction of the cost and effort; sure, there are parts of all courses that can't be done this way, but much of most courses can.

I'm truly hopeful that the far more widespread use of technology will help provide quality education for all in the future. We certainly have to reverse the current trend of education being and expensive privilege available only to a select few. If we carry on like this, our country truly will be doomed.

Rant mode off.
    Hunger is hunger. No amount of education can replace it. If you hadn't gone to Uni you would have found something else eventually. I too came from a poor background, I had the added handicap of a totally crap education to go with it. yet I live in a very nice house and earn more money than anyone in my family all done from the very bottom of the pile. I am not fussed about my kids attending uni and will more than likely take them to work as my assistants for experience as soon as they are legally able to work.

I agree about the online aspects of what you say, but I feel that education is no longer an expensive privilege. Any idiot can get a student loan that they will be saddled with for the rest of their lives ( wonder what will happen when more people start to make sure they can't pay them off) . Formal education today is a con. Doubly so in IT. Companies that sell expensive IT courses with the promise of a job in IT at the end get reported to trading standards as con artists, while we allow the red brick universities just down the road to tell our young that they will get nowhere without waisting 3 years and vast amounts of cash to be exactly the same as the sucker next to them when they leave...

For the average intern or grad programme recruit I come across with my clients, I think most of them were robbed.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    OU is the gold standard for distance learning in the UK. Their fees are going up too (equiv to 5k for a years study) which seems a hell of a lot. I guess the difference is that you don't have the accommodation costs, and you can work and study at the same time.
    It's interesting because at the same time more and more courses are available for free. From the best universities with the best teaching methods and teachers. If you are only interested in gaining the knowledge then these are better in many ways than any traditional uni course I have ever taken.

I can see a gap in the market for accreditation there. An enterprising university could offer budget courses where all the material and lectures are from the free open source university programs but additional assignments and exams are given by the university.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Scoobos - fees for overseas students are massively higher than for home students. Up to over three times as much for clinical courses. It's a money spinner.

Bristol University: Undergraduate Prospectus - Tuition fee charges
    Not for EU students, who will get free tuition if they study in Scotland, whereas students from England don't.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post

Without an education, I would have achieved zilch in life. And my background was very poor, so I feel a deep, deep sympathy for any student today faced with a similar situation.

When you look at some of the excellent work many American Universities have done, or are in the progress of doing, in making their courses available on the Internet, I can't help but feel this has to be the future of education. In my three years at Uni., I felt the vast majority of it could have been made available on-line for a fraction of the cost and effort; sure, there are parts of all courses that can't be done this way, but much of most courses can.

I'm truly hopeful that the far more widespread use of technology will help provide quality education for all in the future. We certainly have to reverse the current trend of education being and expensive privilege available only to a select few. If we carry on like this, our country truly will be doomed.

Rant mode off.
    OU is the gold standard for distance learning in the UK. Their fees are going up too (equiv to 5k for a years study) which seems a hell of a lot. I guess the difference is that you don't have the accommodation costs, and you can work and study at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Scoobos - fees for overseas students are massively higher than for home students. Up to over three times as much for clinical courses. It's a money spinner.

I stand corrected there - cripes!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    hmm is it possible to setup a private University, offering fees at say 5000 grand a year. Take on 40 students and teach them yourself.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    ...or distance learning.

Rant mode off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X