• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What makes you leave a contract early?"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I don't know if it is possible but I am looking for another role to do part-time out of hours, working from home of course. I am so close to home I have a few extra hours work in me and I figure while I am young and have the energy I should make use of it. Any ideas how to find such a contract?
    Have you tried messaging all of your linkedin contacts?
    Has an ability to get results

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Lol.

I once left Manchester to go home, went on autopilot thinking about the work I was doing, a short while later I arrived at Liverpool. First & only time I've been there.
    I went on autopilot when driving to someone's house for Sunday afternoon tea.

It was the same way as I took to work and realised too late I was on the motorway. No exit for 5 miles.

That was a ten mile round trip I could have done without.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    How can you be in poverty after a 4 year gig?
    Two ways of living ...

1) You keep a nice nest egg for a rainy day, and one of two thing happen HMRC come for an investigation and you spend it all fighting them or your wife ups sticks and demands most of it to spend on FMB's and wax jobs for her new boyfriend.

2) You never think the bad times will come and you spend every penny on stuff and fun while you have it to enjoy... Then one day you are out of a contract, the sun doesn't shine but you still have a massive load of stuff...

Dont know which is worse really...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Perhaps after 4 years you have completely forgotten you are a contractor and start to live like a permie - i.e. you spend what you have expecting the next lot to come through 1 month later.....

He has probably forgotten what a warchest is as well..
    Not everyone can afford to turn down a £570 p/d gig in London.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Perhaps after 4 years you have completely forgotten you are a contractor and start to live like a permie - i.e. you spend what you have expecting the next lot to come through 1 month later.....

He has probably forgotten what a warchest is as well..

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Mupps View Post
    I've just finished a 4 year stint. I got to the point where i was sick of the place and going to thump someone and I wanted out... but they kept paying me and the work was easy, yet boring. My contract expired and didn't renew so i was freeeeeeeee!!
    But now i've been on the bench for a month and i'm bored and becoming poorer and i sort of wish i was still invoicing, but i'm still glad as hell not to be in that silly place anymore.

Dunno, it's a toss up which is worse: the tulipty job, or perhaps a bit of poverty...

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Where the feck are you contracting? Is it that dodgy car salesman bloke from a few weeks ago who's doley staff didn't turn up?
    Maybe that would be better, I passed the last stop before Desperationville a few weeks ago; its my company year end this month and I need to get the money in !

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

I finished one gig in Salford keys on the friday and started another in Knutsford on the monday.

It was a stressful time for me, and I drove in on to the new gig monday morning on autopilot.
    Then I looked out over Salford and thought 'what the fck am I doing here ?'

Lol.

I once left Manchester to go home, went on autopilot thinking about the work I was doing, a short while later I arrived at Liverpool. First & only time I've been there.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    I've only been on my client site for 2 weeks and already been asked if i mind taking time off because sales aren't going well (don't mind too much; but a bit of a bug bear after waiting 3 weeks for sign off on a totally different project description.)

Followed by an e-mail from a manager asking if I caused an outage on a system I've never heard of, have no access to, and don't manage; by removing a DNS entry on a DNS server no one in the company can manage (its managed by a 3rd party)..

Going well then...
    Where the feck are you contracting? Is it that dodgy car salesman bloke from a few weeks ago who's doley staff didn't turn up?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Sands of Time View Post
    I've seen lots just hang on no matter what...

One guy was given his marching orders on the Friday actually came in on the Monday morning - thinking it was a joke!!

He was the only joke!

Tone

I finished one gig in Salford keys on the friday and started another in Knutsford on the monday.

It was a stressful time for me, and I drove in on to the new gig monday morning on autopilot.
    Then I looked out over Salford and thought 'what the fck am I doing here ?'

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    I've only been on my client site for 2 weeks and already been asked if i mind taking time off because sales aren't going well (don't mind too much; but a bit of a bug bear after waiting 3 weeks for sign off on a totally different project description.)

Followed by an e-mail from a manager asking if I caused an outage on a system I've never heard of, have no access to, and don't manage; by removing a DNS entry on a DNS server no one in the company can manage (its managed by a 3rd party)..

Going well then...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    So whats your tell tail sign that you need to move on?
    When you get bawled at for not fixing a problem on a system you have no access to.

Fortunately that happened towards the end of a 3 monther so I didn't renew.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Dreaming about offing the PM with an S&W model 29.

And then the git gets up after a good solid body hit.

Nightmare.
    Official site. Whack Your Boss.

Leave a comment:

• Sands of Time
    replied
    I've seen lots just hang on no matter what...

One guy was given his marching orders on the Friday actually came in on the Monday morning - thinking it was a joke!!

He was the only joke!

Tone

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    I've seen it happen. The case in point was a guy who had been there about 8 months and everyone in the client was sure he had done a terrible job and made an awful mess, but had no direct evidence or way to prove it, so they let him stay and did a poor job of checking his work. Eventually they brought in someone else to oversee him, and he jumped after a week or so when it became clear the new guy was about to unearth a massive pile of tulip that he had created but kept hidden.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X