• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "tv aerial in other rooms - suggestions please"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Pretty sure I saw such a thing in Maplins a couple of weeks ago. Can't tell you sweet FA about them though.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by gus
    any other ways of getting a regular aerial connection through to the other room without installing a cable ?
    I wouldn't think so. The easiest option would probably be to simply run a new aerial from the roof to the conservatory. Shouldn't cost any more to get a roving aerial fitter to do that than it would be to buy a load of fancy gadgets with boxes which all need plugging in and hiding around the place. The aerial fitters do the job all day long and, like carpet fitters, become amazingly quick and efficient. In my experience.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon
    The new customer deals are an annoyance, aren't they? I was an early adopter of Sky+ so my hard disk is 40GB, whereas new customers now get 80GB.
    There's an easy "upgrade" you can do:-

http://www.chrisgreen.co.uk/hacking-a-sky-box/

I know people that have done this - I don't have one so cannot comment and I'm not sure whether this is the right way of doing it - I got this from Google at random.

But I do know (having worked with Sky) that this is possible.

Leave a comment:

• gus
    replied
    so, any other ideas ?

shame. video senders are out then. well, that's saved me £50 in testing a theory...

the point of having different channels is so that Mrs Gus can be in the kitchen watching Corrie while she's making my tea, and while I'm watchign Men & Motors on the big screen ...

any other ways of getting a regular aerial connection through to the other room without installing a cable ?

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    If you just want to use the tuner on the tv but get better reception then something like this will sort you out
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...o=943&doy=26m5

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    gus: Well, I've not tried that, I only tend to have one TV on at a time. I recon it only transmits the channel selected, so I guess all the TVs would be showing the same thing. I'll try it later.

Just remembered I had fun getting one of the sat boxes to play nicely so had to modify the receiver part of the tranmitter a bit so the IR could work back to that sat box. So it might be worth checking if it works with your set up (should work with Philips stuff obviously, and I know it works with Sky stuff as well), or get ready with a soldering iron and UV LEDs.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Originally posted by gus
    i have phone, internet, & cable through Telewest. I've been quite happy with them, apart from the fact that any new customers get a much better deal than me, a loyal one.
    I was the same, and never noticed the mothley direct debit had crept up to £100+ a month. Im not there in the week so either the Mrs was on the phone 8-10 hours a day or I was getting in late at the weekend and subscribing to wnak TV channels.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by gus
    i have phone, internet, & cable through Telewest. I've been quite happy with them, apart from the fact that any new customers get a much better deal than me, a loyal one.
    The new customer deals are an annoyance, aren't they? I was an early adopter of Sky+ so my hard disk is 40GB, whereas new customers now get 80GB.

Leave a comment:

• gus
    replied
    mr crosby ...

Leave a comment:

• gus
    replied
    threaded ...

... does your set-up enable your tvs to show different channels at the same time?

is my understanding of the wirless transmitters correct - that they broadcast the selected channel, not the whole spectrum?

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Originally posted by gus
    Francko

The problem with the wireless transmitters is they broadcast the channel that's been selected in the other room (as far as I'm aware) - i want the conservatory tv to be able to view any channel.

Mr Crosby

I'm tied to Telewest I'm afraid. No Sky for me ...
    I was until last month Gus, the robbing bas*tards.

Leave a comment:

• gus
    replied
    wrong? surely not with the massive IQs here ...

Francko

The problem with the wireless transmitters is they broadcast the channel that's been selected in the other room (as far as I'm aware) - i want the conservatory tv to be able to view any channel.

Mr Crosby

I'm tied to Telewest I'm afraid. No Sky for me ...

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Very good Franko, and yes, I do have an answer to this as I had the self same problem: I have some Philips wireless link boxs (VL1400): a transmitter that takes four SCARTs, so can get both satellite boxes, DVD, and VHS in, and little receivers dotted around with each TV. It's kinda two way so you can also use the remote controls remotely. Switching the microwave on blows it out of the water, and forget about wireless networking.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Just subscribe to Sky multiroom.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by gus
    Is there a wireless device that will replace the aerial cable, and get all channels to the conservatory?
    Is there any other solution? Any ideas?
    Mmmm am afraid this is the wrong site. Of course, if Threaded or AtW are not on-line since they both have an answer to life, the universe and everything.

However, have a look around the AV forums. There's a lot of info. Have you looked up the Philips wireless transmittors? They seem to work with Sky too (allegedly, never tried).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X