• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Phone hacking scandal - Will it never end?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Hear hear. Its like the Euro crisis. Same old stuff going round and round.

The only thing I did not like was parliament told Murdcock he is not fit to run a global empire? What business is it of the UK what he does elsewhere? He is unfit to run anything in the UK though.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    I found a phone on the train the other week - it had the bloody owners PIN number on a note on it . I called her mother and returned it of course.
    You returned it rather than sold it on the black market for a few notes?

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Dislaimer - I do think that hacking milly's phone when she was dead was shocking.

However, I feel that the media has missed a great opportunity to educate people about their responsibility to protect their information.

Now that we are in a world of smartphones, that are often configured without a keylock or default passwords left on; surely the owner of the device has to take some responsibility.

If you can't understand how to use a device that contains SO MUCH personal info (linked email accounts, stored passwords on websites etc) and secure it using the inbuilt security functions - then how can you say you were abused and not take any responsibility yourself?

I'm a massive Coogan fan, but come on, you're a clever bloke - why the hell didnt you just change your damn voicemail password.

I found a phone on the train the other week - it had the bloody owners PIN number on a note on it . I called her mother and returned it of course.

People need to think more about what's on their devices!

(Please no spelling bee's , I'm on my phone)

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Ed Milliband isn't a fit person to be PM
    I must have missed the last general election.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I'd like to see everybody who uses the term "phone hacking" locked up. No phones were hacked.
    This is so true. Hacking generally takes a level of intelligence and knowledge that goes way beyond what is needed to access the messages on someone's phone where that person is stupid enough to not change the pin number. Snooping yes, hacking no.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    That's because he'll never be a PM
    Unfortunately I think Dave is going about things in just the right way to make this happen.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Ed Milliband isn't a fit person to be PM, but you don't hear the Beeb going on about it
    That's because he'll never be a PM

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    When a parliamentary committee publishes a report stating that Murdoch is "not a fit person to exercise the stewardship of a major international company," that he and his son knowingly misled parliament, and that the Director of Public Prosecutions and the senior police officer in charge of the initial investigation are also culpable, it is in fact news.

The Times thinks it's sufficiently newsworthy to make it the lead story on their web site, and he owns that

Ed Milliband isn't a fit person to be PM, but you don't hear the Beeb going on about it
    Ken isn't a fit person to be mayor of London but you don't hear the Beeb going on about it
    They didn't go on about Gordon not being fit to be PM

They only whinge when they have an agenda, news is only news when it fits their agenda or they can't bury it

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    The Beeb just hate Murdoch, all the newspapers did it including the broadsheets

They just have to keep pushing their agenda, and like you say it's boring

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Not the hacking, I mean BBC's obsessive coverage of it day after day after day ..

The words "Murdoch" or "phone hacking report" practically send me into a coma now. In fact I'm fighting to stay awake just typing th ...
    WHS - I am bored with it all, it is just one of those things that professional politicians and the media get excited about but most people cannot be @rsed about.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    This crap has been polluting our country for decades, thank God its been brought out into the open, and with any luck , has an end put to it.

Agree

The police need to be sorted out as well
    Fat chance

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    When a parliamentary committee publishes a report stating that Murdoch is "not a fit person to exercise the stewardship of a major international company," that he and his son knowingly misled parliament, and that the Director of Public Prosecutions and the senior police officer in charge of the initial investigation are also culpable, it is in fact news.

The Times thinks it's sufficiently newsworthy to make it the lead story on their web site, and he owns that

I dont think it was found that he and his son misled parliament, the committee stopped short of that, they found that three of his employees had though.

This crap has been polluting our country for decades, thank God its been brought out into the open, and with any luck , has an end put to it. The police need to be sorted out as well

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Not the hacking, I mean BBC's obsessive coverage of it day after day after day ..

The words "Murdoch" or "phone hacking report" practically send me into a coma now. In fact I'm fighting to stay awake just typing th ...
    Personally, I'm enjoying every minute of it

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    For contempt of Parliament he (and his son) can be imprisoned until the end of the Parliament - that is, until the next General Election.

The limitation is explained somewhere in here, for those who enjoy ploughing through Victorian court decisions.
    Hmm, at one point it is mentioned that the Exchequer barons (judges in the Court of Exchequer of Pleas) ordered the release of someone who had been jailed by Parliament:

One of the earliest cases is that of Donne v. Walsh[6], 12 Ed. 4., in which the Court of Exchequer determined that the servant of an Earl was entitled to be discharged from arrest during the sitting of parliament, but was not exempt from being sued, although the writ of privilege produced by the defendant to the Barons of the Exchequer claimed immunity in both respects [7].
    Perhaps there's another example further on, so I'll carry on reading. Compared to the Murdoch/hacking news, it's gripping stuff!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I'd like to see everybody who uses the term "phone hacking" locked up. No phones were hacked.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X