• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If you were to go perm what would you want your salary(+bonuses) to be?"

Collapse

• Bumfluff
    replied
    I've wanted perm for a while fed up with IR35 and watching my back every 5 mins. Last gig did a very good contract to perm deal being day rate * 1.67 * 100 = base salary, plus 10% cash award gurantteed, plus 15% pension you could take all cash or split cash pension, sods law though the week I say I will take it they change the deal to complete package to value to be day rate * 1.677 * 100 gutted was an understandment.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    I was going to put something about "unless you have a real company with many clients", but then NLUK would have been river dancing on my facing for suggesting that contractors dont work like this etc...
    Be very clear in your specifications before you ask him to river dance on your face.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I'm a programme manager, and £80k would be enough to tempt me perm tomorrow, realistically, £70-75k will tempt me at the end of a contract and £65k would tempt me with 3mths notice. I went perm for £55k 2yrs ago and lasted 18mths. A £500pd contract brought me quickly back, as I wanted a house deposit and was sick of driving 3000+ miles per month etc.
    The only reason I'm still perm is I'm in the upper bracket, and only spend 1-2 nights away from home and work from home the rest of the time.
    + the fact that I know how much is going into the bank every month and have dd's or standing orders set up for everything so don't even have to manage the finances other than to shift the excess over to a savings account every month.
    I don't think I'd go back into contracting now, I'm comfortable, secure.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Not for everyone. I've been fired from every permanent job I've ever had. Something about contracting for multiple people for me works. Allows me to focus on different things.
    I was going to put something about "unless you have a real company with many clients", but then NLUK would have been river dancing on my facing for suggesting that contractors dont work like this etc...

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    It's only the tax system that makes contracting worthwhile, if it was all PAYE / inside IR35, then it's likely none of us would be doing this,
    Not for everyone. I've been fired from every permanent job I've ever had. Something about contracting for multiple people for me works. Allows me to focus on different things.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    I'm a programme manager, and £80k would be enough to tempt me perm tomorrow, realistically, £70-75k will tempt me at the end of a contract and £65k would tempt me with 3mths notice. I went perm for £55k 2yrs ago and lasted 18mths. A £500pd contract brought me quickly back, as I wanted a house deposit and was sick of driving 3000+ miles per month etc.

Now on a reasonable rate, direct contract which is a min of 6mths, and possibly 18mths if the I win the tender. However, the £500pd was in London 2-3 days per week, meaning 2 nights away from family, this one at a lower rate see's me at home with the occasional customer to client visit. No overnighters. I'm richer because of that.

Once the house is sorted, I'll probably go perm again. It's only the tax system that makes contracting worthwhile, if it was all PAYE / inside IR35, then it's likely none of us would be doing this,

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    It threw me for a moment. Its first in the list. Quite a nice little curveball from MF there I thought - keep us on our toes.
    Expect the unexpected.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Yes and where is our stalwart option, AndyW / AndyW's mum / AndyW is all I need / etc
    It threw me for a moment. Its first in the list. Quite a nice little curveball from MF there I thought - keep us on our toes.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    It depends, what are my dependancies, what are my out goings, have I managed to pay off my mortgage, how much have I put aside from my time contracting, how much of a SIPP have I got?

Are you sure you are cut out for asking polls?
    Yes and where is our stalwart option, AndyW / AndyW's mum / AndyW is all I need / etc

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Looking at the poll responses there are many contractors who are going to have a heart attack if/when they choose to go permie. :
    There's a lot in cloud cuckoo land.

Oh, I'm a tester and I'd like £120k basic please.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Looking at the poll responses there are many contractors who are going to have a heart attack if/when they choose to go permie. :

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    No techie is worth more than 100k on this site.
    Oi, speak for yourself!!!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    The distribution is interesting in this thread. Is
    it that those who have voted >120k are
    voting on the £72k plus takehome after tax or that that's what they believe they are worth??? No techie is worth more than 100k on this site.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    I'm going to put my company dormant and take a 2-3 year stint in a carribean island at 100k+ USD a year, if I can pull it off ..

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Contractors have a habit of 'over stating' their worth. I would have thought that most would be happy at £70/£80k.
    Most contractors do though the number of ass clowns I've worked with over the years on £100k plus as permie makes me think in the right company you'd have to try and take the piss just a little and you'd probably get away with it.

The last client contact I had was on £100k+ and worth every penny of it. There was a supplier we both worked with who paid a lot of people 6 figures and they were mostly tulip.

Now contracting for another client who use the same supplier and the supplier have made murmors about me going perm. Have refused so far but if they did I'd have to ask >£100k just because I know they're stupid enough to probably pay it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X