• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Movies to avoid

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Movies to avoid"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Oh I really liked Kingdom of Heaven. But then I guess you either like that kind of historical genre or not.

One of the baddies, Reynald de Chatillon, looked the splitting image of the Marquess of Bath, and his multi-coloured dyed hair made it look as if he'd just painted another wall at Longleat.
    Love the genre, just didn't love the choice of actors.

Another film for my list is underworld awakening, I think I spent most of the film wondering when the plot would start.
    Last edited by norrahe; 30 April 2012, 09:17.

Leave a comment:

• sirja
    replied
    The Bob Identity.

'A gripping story of a Bob Programmer who has lost his memory. Who is he? Is he a Java Programer?, .NET? Are his certifications real????'

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Watched Absentia (2011) last night. Had bad vibes about it to start with, due to its "fly on the wall" feel at the outset and interminable inconsequential twittering of the two women, but it developed quite well. Wasn't too impressed with the ending though, which left everything hanging in limbo. So I can't recommend that one unreservedly.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Troy and Kingdom of Heaven were awful, I think I sent most of the time in the cinema looking at my watch I was sooooo bored.

Would have left only for the fact I went with a group of mates.
    Oh I really liked Kingdom of Heaven. But then I guess you either like that kind of historical genre or not.

One of the baddies, Reynald de Chatillon, looked the splitting image of the Marquess of Bath, and his multi-coloured dyed hair made it look as if he'd just painted another wall at Longleat.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 29 April 2012, 10:57.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Troy and Kingdom of Heaven were awful, I think I sent most of the time in the cinema looking at my watch I was sooooo bored.

Would have left only for the fact I went with a group of mates.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    My rule of thumb is 6.5 and below on IMDB and it gets avoided.

I would say this is the case 95% of the time but there rare exceptions, both ways.
    The snag is that weenies (in taste if not age), mostly in the US I imagine, sometimes mark down and disparage gems unless these are Hollywood mainstream.

I'd go a bit lower if the plot sounds promising, down to 5 say. But admittedly I've rarely if ever seen a 3.5 or 4 IMDB-rated film that'll vote for Christmas.

Oh and another turkey I downloaded yesterday The Innkeepers (2011) - Shyte from start to (almost) end, until I gave up on it.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Are you a fan of Judy Garland films as well?
    She should have been taken out and shot at a very early age

You know it makes sense

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I quite liked Highlander 3

Highlander: Endgame on the other hand...
    I prefer the Highlander-Hybrid. More miles to the gallon.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    I watched her in pretty woman (I was guilt pinned alongside my wife so no choice) and developed a bit of a schoolboy crush on her

I met her in 2010 at a UNICEF charity event and talked with her for about 10 minutes, she is really a very nice person.
    Are you a fan of Judy Garland films as well?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    So the closet rumours were true....
    I watched her in pretty woman (I was guilt pinned alongside my wife so no choice) and developed a bit of a schoolboy crush on her

I met her in 2010 at a UNICEF charity event and talked with her for about 10 minutes, she is really a very nice person.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The Last Templar. Bought it in Sainsburys last weekend.

A couple of guys in white sheets trot into a building on horseback, and that's practically it. As far as I could tell, it's set in the present and is like an episode of Charlies Angels. I stopped watching after five minutes.
    Watched the first half hour in my lodgings, to give it a fair chance.

Charlies Angels is something of an exaggeration. More like Murder She Wrote, one of the later more soporific episodes

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    I liked;
    Pretty Woman
    Runaway bride
    Notting Hill
    Erin Brockovich

Hey!

Maybe I like Julia Roberts! d'ya think?
    So the closet rumours were true....

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Movies to avoid

My rule of thumb is 6.5 and below on IMDB and it gets avoided.

I would say this is the case 95% of the time but there rare exceptions, both ways.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I liked it, though I cannot for some reason stop hearing South African as a 'joke' accent. Not used to hearing it probably, a whole film was rather weird personally.
    for some reason that made me think of this:
    youtube - spitting image never met a nice south african.mp4 - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    District 9. Given the story, that could have been sooo good but they ended up making an appallingly dull movie.

Sill bizzarely gets 8.1 on IMDB, how????
    I liked it, though I cannot for some reason stop hearing South African as a 'joke' accent. Not used to hearing it probably, a whole film was rather weird personally.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X