• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I have a rather large one"

Collapse

• Zoiderman
    replied
    I used to do all my own mechanical work, and enjoy it. However, now with 3 kids, I'd rather paddle down the river with them, or cycle along the canals than spend 4 hours under the hood of a car fixing it at the weekends. I used to own an old Lancia Fulvia and Alfa GT Junior. Most of my Saturdays and Sundays were spent fixing them. I just couldn't justify that now.

However, if I had bench time, I'd love to get back into it. Although cars nowadays are a bit of a trip into the unknown. Speak to a modern mechanic and tell him what is wrong, and they look blank, then plug the machine in which tells them what is wrong, so they can change whatever it is. Crazy really.

If I had some bench time, I'd be all over the cars I think, so good on you suity.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I say we have ourselves a good old fashioned hanging.
    Thanks for offering, but I have no plan of putting the noose around your neck. Well, not while I've still got my executioners axe.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    yeah. cos all permies automatically leave cuk.
    I say we have ourselves a good old fashioned hanging.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Does this mean you leaving CUK?
    yeah. cos all permies automatically leave cuk.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Hey suity - since you are so good as this mechanics stuff could you help Mrs BP get her plumbing sorted? Not sure she can stretch to a tenner - but there will be all the pot noodles you can eat.
    if you actually need plumbing sorted, shoot me a pm.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    They honoured the notice period, so I finish 4th May. But at 4pm Friday they came back and said the project was now a go & could they take the notice back. I said I'd think about it. I have an interview tomorrow for another role to start when the present one finishes, plus a discussion on Friday to go perm back in the US.

I think I'll take the US role if the salary s OK.
    Does this mean you leaving CUK?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    You were last time I looked. What happened?

You on the game again?
    They honoured the notice period, so I finish 4th May. But at 4pm Friday they came back and said the project was now a go & could they take the notice back. I said I'd think about it. I have an interview tomorrow for another role to start when the present one finishes, plus a discussion on Friday to go perm back in the US.

I think I'll take the US role if the salary s OK.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I'm not benched.
    You were last time I looked. What happened?

You on the game again?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Hey suity - since you are so good as this mechanics stuff could you help Mrs BP get her plumbing sorted? Not sure she can stretch to a tenner - but there will be all the pot noodles you can eat.
    Sure I can service your old boiler.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Sounds like you need Xenophon, not Suity.
    I think Xeno is more interested in my plumbing.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Sounds like you need Xenophon, not Suity.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Get a job you bum.
    I'm not benched.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Pot. Kettle.
    Get a job you bum.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Wim,

I understand your confusion, it was not really possible to provide all of the background in the OP. 'Er next door is a "all men are rubbish, ego-centric (may have a point there to be fair), layabout wastes of space kinda gal. 'Im next door is a fraking know-it all. They both wind me right up. As I say I used to feel a bit sorry for him until he started waxing lyrical as the worlds expert motor mechanic. If he'd have said "I really want to change this wheel bearing, and I kind of know what I'm doing and what I'm going to do is this ...." it would have been bearable. To have him lean up against a wall, cock sure, spouting nonsense as if it was fact was amusing at first, then scary and then just downright irritating.

Hope this helps old chum.

Suity
    Pot. Kettle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X