• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car engine cut out & crashed!"

Collapse

• Sands of Time
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Don't shoot the messenger.

I had the AA back out in the morning. I explained the situation(it also did it at as I slowed down at a junction on the way home). I'd noticed that the rev counter was fluctuating, rising then dropping suddenly while idling.

Anyway AA guy comes out the next day. Has a look, cannot find anything. The revs is no longer fluctuating. So he plugs his computer in and we go for a drive. It doesn't do it, I also note that the revs are slightly higher.

Basically he gave me this spiel about how the internal computer that drives the air intake, controls etc would have reset when the battery was replaced and it takes a bit of a run to 'relearn' the voltage to ensure it gets the settings accurate. It's not done it since.

True or bulltulip?

Sounds like he should work in IT!!

Tone

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

I had the AA back out in the morning. I explained the situation(it also did it at as I slowed down at a junction on the way home). I'd noticed that the rev counter was fluctuating, rising then dropping suddenly while idling.

Anyway AA guy comes out the next day. Has a look, cannot find anything. The revs is no longer fluctuating. So he plugs his computer in and we go for a drive. It doesn't do it, I also note that the revs are slightly higher.

Basically he gave me this spiel about how the internal computer that drives the air intake, controls etc would have reset when the battery was replaced and it takes a bit of a run to 'relearn' the voltage to ensure it gets the settings accurate. It's not done it since.

True or bulltulip?
    On my old Sierra I had to go through a similar ceremony, in your case it is probably true.

I also had problems with the flywheel position sensor getting wet or dirty, it plays havoc with the revs.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Sounds like bullsh*t to be honest, I mean it shouldn't crash the car should it! He was just thinking of something clever to say because he didn't find anything. Still you never know if it doesn't happen again he might have a point.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 April 2012, 08:36.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    And what did the garage say?

True or bulltulip?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    She probably thought "This shouldn't last too long, I'll make a killing on the life insurance!"...
    She's still with me after over thirty years

After all my accidents and incidents, all she ever says is "Nearly is not good enough"

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    How the hell did you manage that with a straight face?
    Ghost writer

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    I once crashed a car because I reached through the steering wheel to get my sunglasses which were by the clocks. just as I came to a sharp bend Erk!

Little damage to the car or the farmers hedge as I was only going about 20mph, but hell of an embarrassment as it was only my second date with my wife
    She probably thought "This shouldn't last too long, I'll make a killing on the life insurance!"...

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I once crashed a car because I reached through the steering wheel to get my sunglasses which were by the clocks. just as I came to a sharp bend Erk!

Little damage to the car or the farmers hedge as I was only going about 20mph, but hell of an embarrassment as it was only my second date with my wife

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    I'd moved quickly into the back of the car when I sensed the imminent crash. Safer place to be.
    Good idea, remove as much weight as possible from the front wheels!

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Just thankful that you are okay MF, it would have been a tragedy and the world a poorer place without you

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I would suggest that the biggest point of failure was sat just behind the steering wheel.
    I'd moved quickly into the back of the car when I sensed the imminent crash. Safer place to be.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I would suggest that the biggest point of failure was sat just behind the steering wheel.
    MF is not a point of failure... more like a line!

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Nice single point failure there then.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    ......all of a sudden the steering locks, the wheel won't turn and I go straight into a wall. Luckily I wasn't going very fast and was able to brake so no real damage. Then I notice that the engine has died!!!

Any ideas?
    Just thankful that you are okay MF, it would have been a tragedy and the world a poorer place without you

Leave a comment:

Working...
X