• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: FA Cup Final

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "FA Cup Final"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    That's ridiculous.

There would have been league games playing at the same time if it were at 3.00 PM which isn't good for the fans or revenue, no other reason.
    There's no premier games on at 3pm. They are on the Sunday, except the Arse, who have a lunch-time kick-off. As for lower leagues, I won't be able to get home by 5.15 after my lot play, so if I wanted to watch all the cup final I'd have to miss my team anyway, and we're at home.

Anyway, the "FA Spokesman" has mumbled about it being better for their "world-wide audience".

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    Back in those days going to a match was certainly a different experience. The drunks in the kop end at Leeds had no problem relieving themselves on the unfortunate punter in front of them, Nazi salutes to any black player (even on their own team I seem to remember) and then often a brick pelting getting out of the ground from opposition fans ripping up seats. Certainly, an eye-opener for a 15yo.

Ken Bates had a point
    I think that secretly many agreed with him.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Me too, sadly.

It was a fairly common tactic to turn up en masse just before kick-off so ticketless fans could get in, because the police would open the gates for safety reasons (how ironic).

Caging was a result of appalling fan behaviour. I seem to recall Ken Bates wanting to electrify the fences!
    Back in those days going to a match was certainly a different experience. The drunks in the kop end at Leeds had no problem relieving themselves on the unfortunate punter in front of them, Nazi salutes to any black player (even on their own team I seem to remember) and then often a brick pelting getting out of the ground from opposition fans ripping up seats. Certainly, an eye-opener for a 15yo.

Ken Bates had a point

Leave a comment:

• TheBigD
    replied
    That's ridiculous.

There would have been league games playing at the same time if it were at 3.00 PM which isn't good for the fans or revenue, no other reason.
    Usually, the FA cup was the only major game played on the day, so it could kick off at 3pm without having to compete for audiences/TV.

I seem to recall the date of the cup final was brought forward at Capello's insistence to give the England team more chance to rest before they embarrass the nation at Euro 2012.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Caging fans into grounds was the root of the problem. Thankfully we have never had a repeat of that horrific event. At the time I attended football matches and witnessed the treatment of fans by the police but also saw many fans pissed up before the game. All a recipe for disaster.
    Me too, sadly.

It was a fairly common tactic to turn up en masse just before kick-off so ticketless fans could get in, because the police would open the gates for safety reasons (how ironic).

Caging was a result of appalling fan behaviour. I seem to recall Ken Bates wanting to electrify the fences!

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
    Difficult for the families to get any form of closure when there hasn't ever been any justice for those who were lost.
    Caging fans into grounds was the root of the problem. Thankfully we have never had a repeat of that horrific event. At the time I attended football matches and witnessed the treatment of fans by the police but also saw many fans pissed up before the game. All a recipe for disaster.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
    We're talking scousers here, are they sure they weren't simply stolen, not lost?
    Are you accusing me of being a tealeaf?

Oh - you said scousers not scourers.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Difficult for the families to get any form of closure when there hasn't ever been any justice for those who were lost.
    By arresting the ticketless hordes? I doubt they'll catch them now.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    We're talking scousers here, are they sure they weren't simply stolen, not lost?

Leave a comment:

• Basil Fawlty
    replied
    My point is that it’s unhealthy not to have closure and this has rumbled on for years and years.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    That's ridiculous.

I think he was taking the piss a little

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    EDIT, completely wrong, apologies, post removed...

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I think its a bit harsh that they do the whole "we don't play on April 15th", I wonder what would happen in Man U refused to play on Munich Anniversary, Bradford on the date of the Valley Parade fire. I know Alan Davies got berate for saying similar things, but he has a point, honor the dead by playing the game they wanted to see.
    My point is that it’s unhealthy not to have closure and this has rumbled on for years and years.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Is this because Liverpool refuse to play any cup matches on the daily anniversary of the kick-off at Hillsborough?
    That's ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    tulip happens in life; if Hillsborough is still festering it is very unhealthy – have to move on in life.
    I think its a bit harsh that they do the whole "we don't play on April 15th", I wonder what would happen in Man U refused to play on Munich Anniversary, Bradford on the date of the Valley Parade fire. I know Alan Davies got berate for saying similar things, but he has a point, honor the dead by playing the game they wanted to see.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X