• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: overdraft fees

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "overdraft fees"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    5% on £5k per year cash ISA isn't worth my time. If it was not limited to such pityful amount then it would be fine though.
    Surely you have £5k from each previous year plus all the cumulative interest AtW? You should have loads of cash in your ISA.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    As far as I know, the 5% ones require you to lock up your money for years! And Im talking 5 years, not 2.
    d000hg thinks it's a smart investment ...

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    5% on £5k per year cash ISA isn't worth my time. If it was not limited to such pityful amount then it would be fine though.
    As far as I know, the 5% ones require you to lock up your money for years! And Im talking 5 years, not 2.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If 5% is not worth having on your investments, you're too stupid to have investments.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    An overdraft is useful as a short term bridging loan... a few days a month if you income/outgoings dates don't match up nicely. Otherwise I agree it's a bad thing.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If 5% is not worth having on your investments, you're too stupid to have investments.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    5% in an ISA, 8% not.
    So, locking in just a few grand a year for 5% and where 8% comes from - real estate in Dubai?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What is the interest currently on those "high interest" accounts you mention?
    5% in an ISA, 8% not.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I would say an overdraft is a sign of bad financial planning (stupid) rather than lack of money (poor).
    Sometimes it can be someone who is a little poor at that moment, someone who is 'stupid' or a mixture of both.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Surely those who pay huge percentages in overdraft fees should be grateful to the banks for pointing out how stupid they are?
    No offence BP, but I think that is of a bit short sighted view on this subject.

Overdraft fees are ridiculous. All they do is lock the victims in to an endless cycle. Appropriate rates are sensible to cover the debt, but adding hundreds of pounds of fines on per transaction, then idiotic interest locks victims in to an endless cycle.

We once got in to a bad overdraft, when the OH needed an operation and had to miss work, dropping down on her salary and I had to take time off to be with her. Even dipping slightly in to an overdraft then meant the next month, while we could skimp by and technically earn more than we spent, after paying off all the fines, we were back in the red. We nearly got stuck in that hole permanently like we have seen others get stuck in.

It isnt just the "I want" mindset this affects but more people than one might think. Sometimes it isnt poor financial planning or spending more than you earn, sometimes it can be set off by a chain of events like illness and a bigger than normal bill one month then 'bam'.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    No it's not. The optimal strategy is to have the absolute minimum in current accounts and move money into those accounts as needed, so you get maximum interest on your high interest accounts.
    What is the interest currently on those "high interest" accounts you mention?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I took out a very large overdraft to buy a house.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Who still uses a cheque?
    People buying second hand cars. People over 40.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    No, that's not good financial planning - that's being very very stupid.
    No it's not. The optimal strategy is to have the absolute minimum in current accounts and move money into those accounts as needed, so you get maximum interest on your high interest accounts.

BUT, such a strategy is far less error-resistant.

When you have enough money for more than one account you'll learn these things

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I sometimes go into my overdraft

But then again it's usually because I've forgotten to transfer money into the account

I'm quite often guilty of poor financial planning and money mismanagement.

Today I blocked one of my credit cards while fuelling the car in Portland; I put the pin in for one of my other cards - three times. Note to self, must call and unblock it

Reason I wasn't using my debit card was I'd forgotten it and left it in Wales
    See, Totally financially challenged

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Good financial planning means you typically have little in a current account, therefore it's easy to stuff up.

Example 1 - I had written a cheque A for £1000 from account A and I paid in a cheque B for £2k to account B before cheque A was cashed. The money showed up on Account A immediately but I couldn't move it until it cleared, 3 days later - in the meantime cheque B was cashed and I ended up overdrawn since I don't keep that much floating in the current account.

Example 2 - I knew my credit card was near the limit before we went on holiday and wanted to make sure we had credit available abroad. So I made an additional payment of a few £k. Only to find they didn't automatically take this off the balance, but proceeded to try and take the full amount from my account which was now empty after paying out several £k... hence my credit card company tried to charge me for failing to pay them, and my bank tried to charge me for a failed payment.

The more carefully you plan things, the easier you can stuff it up... keeping all your cash in one account would be far easier
    Who still uses a cheque?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X