• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is the UK going to recover from this one?"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I heard you tried to book your meetings to coincide to fashion week. And invited Churchy.
    You mean the catwalk kid

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    But we're not in recession. We have positive growth.
    Growth paid for by debt that will never be repaid, is not growth at all.

There has been no real growth over the last decade, just borrowing to maintain an unsustainable undeserved life style for Britain as a nation. Borrowing by the public has to be restarted otherwise the political and commercial consequences will be catastrophic. If borrowing does restart then the outcome will still be the same in the long term as yet again it will be a case of having consumption today at the expense of tomorrow. However this will be a problem for another group of politicians to worry about.
    Growth : howitends.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Was it "all you can eat"?
    Nope. Although perhaps it wasn't that top-end, we weren't still hungry when we left.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    We just need many many more immigrants, more money printing and much higher house prices and we're all be laughing again.
    Oh this is so last year! The future lies in offshoring everything and make the locals work for free at Tesco!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Government job and Taxpayers pay

Just kidding

I should have been clearer. Goes on refundable expenses and it's only 2 days a week in London the rest I usually WFH. some weeks I don't even go to London because the hotel prices go through the roof, Like on fashion week etc
    I heard you tried to book your meetings to coincide to fashion week. And invited Churchy.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I'm just giving an example of the fundamental change we need. I am not sure what it is but something has got to give sooner or later.
    We just need many many more immigrants, more money printing and much higher house prices and we're all be laughing again.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Renewables will be 10x the price, so if you fancy that, be my guest.
    I'm just giving an example of the fundamental change we need. I am not sure what it is but something has got to give sooner or later.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I personally can't see a way out of this until some fundamentals start to change. Perhaps we need to move away from oil and into renewables for example? The squeeze from both sides (reduced wages and higher cost of living) is not reducing so until this changes drastically we are not going to go anywhere. Perhaps the whole economy needs to shrink and downsize a lot further so we can eventually start to grow again?
    Renewables will be 10x the price, so if you fancy that, be my guest.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    IMO economy & house prices & wage rises are going to flatline for another 5 years from now.
    I personally can't see a way out of this until some fundamentals start to change. Perhaps we need to move away from oil and into renewables for example? The squeeze from both sides (reduced wages and higher cost of living) is not reducing so until this changes drastically we are not going to go anywhere. Perhaps the whole economy needs to shrink and downsize a lot further so we can eventually start to grow again?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Booked two in London a week before, to visit on Sat/Sun. Lots of availability. Lunchtimes though, maybe that doesn't count?
    MaccyD's don't normally take bookings. Unless you want the party deal.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Booked two in London a week before, to visit on Sat/Sun. Lots of availability. Lunchtimes though, maybe that doesn't count?
    Was it "all you can eat"?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Try booking a table at a top restaurant

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    IMO economy & house prices & wage rises are going to flatline for another 5 years from now.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    You must be earning serious money if you can afford to pay £2000 a week just to sleep.

Government job and Taxpayers pay

Just kidding

I should have been clearer. Goes on refundable expenses and it's only 2 days a week in London the rest I usually WFH. some weeks I don't even go to London because the hotel prices go through the roof, Like on fashion week etc

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    I've been paying £200 - £400 a night for a room at most of the hotels near Westminster for months and most of the 4*& 5* hotels are fully booked most weeks so somebody is spending money (Apart from me that is)

But "Were still DOOMED"
    You must be earning serious money if you can afford to pay £2000 a week just to sleep.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X