• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fuel 'crisis'

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fuel 'crisis'"

Collapse

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    If I was in charge I would tell those bloody lorry drivers to go get a high paying job in a council or something if they are unhappy with their pay and working conditions.
    I watched the tanker driver video on the Unite web page to see what all the fuss was about.
    Turns out they're not in it for the money (apparently). This is what I picked up from it:
    • They work for tanker contractors, not the oil Cos.
    • Oil Cos are re-negotiating tanker firm contracts more frequently than before.
    • Tanker firms are being squeezed, and so are lowering safety training standards.
    • Tanker firms are closing down and new ones appearing out of nowhere offering salaries half that seasoned drivers get, to new inexperienced drivers with little training.
    • Because of the above, our families are all at higher risk of fatal petrol tanker leaks and explosions on motorways, in towns and in cities.
    • Drivers are sick of having 8-9 different pensions after moving jobs so many times. (inc. losing final salary pensions)

Petrol tanker fires aside, that also sums up the IT industry

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Filled up a week ago with no queuing.
    Let me guess - you filled up 20 miles offshore to avoid paying all UK duties on fuel?

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Filled up a week ago with no queuing.

Same again this sunday morning with no queues.

Cant see what the problem is!

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Ah! A conspracy Theorist

And probably correct, but it beats the old method of starting a war to detract people
    OTOH one should never attribute to malice that which can be reasonably explained by stupidity.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    BBC News - Fuel strike over Easter ruled out by union

So threaten to strike over the Olympics it is then, and be showered with money. Unless it wouldn't disrupt the games because not many UK people can afford or be arsed to go anyway.
    Try getting a ticket to the womens beach volleyball, some sports just in demand

At my missus works, they have a monthly raffle for olympics tickets for everything except the beach volleyball. Who'd want to see the opening ceremony over that

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    BBC News - Fuel strike over Easter ruled out by union

So threaten to strike over the Olympics it is then, and be showered with money. Unless it wouldn't disrupt the games because not many UK people can afford or be arsed to go anyway.

Leave a comment:

• aalvarez
    replied
    you are not thinking like developers, where's the Android App? i would suggest something like "Panic Buy" or "iPanic!"

it should let you buy petrol, *before* you leave the house
    Last edited by aalvarez; 30 March 2012, 12:28.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Yesterday as I was queuing for my £2 worth of petrol, I looked round at all the sad b@stards in the queue and thought "what is wrong with all these sheeple? Havn't you got anything better to be doing than queuing like braindead morons when there isn't even a strike on?"

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    You got it. The non-panic came just in time to boost VAT receipts this quarter. That helps out Boy George's money problems and as a bonus, proves that the economy is doing well under this government.

Then next quarter the drivers strike and VAT receipts are down (doubly so because of the advance buying). That proves that striking workers ruined the economy. Govt introduces new anti-union legislation.

The following quarter, back to normal. VAT receipts back up. Proves that the government followed the right course.

Yes, we were born yesterday.
    I never thought of it like that..... but it all makes sense now!

Leave a comment:

• Grasser73
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    You're not thinking like contractors. Have you not noticed that when the fuel strikes hit just go to a motorway service station. These places never run out as they're expensive as ****.
    Expensive or not but Rownhams on the M27 ran out of all fuel yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    I was on a site that kept 240,000 litres of diesel in reserve just in case of a strike. That would have kept my focus going for a while.
    Diesel is a bit radical, have you tried coffee or redbull to help you concentrate?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Barley View Post
    ... besides which youre burning that in fuel waiting to fill up at a cheaper garage.
    Just a thought... but while you're waiting - why not switch your engine off?

Leave a comment:

• Barley
    replied
    You're not thinking like contractors. Have you not noticed that when the fuel strikes hit just go to a motorway service station. These places never run out as they're expensive as ****.

Part of me is kicking myself for leaving last client co. I was on a site that kept 240,000 litres of diesel in reserve just in case of a strike. That would have kept my focus going for a while.

Motorway Service Stations got me through the last fuel strike, they always had fuel. Personally id rather pay 4/5p a litre more than queue for 10, 20, 60? minutes? besides which youre burning that in fuel waiting to fill up at a cheaper garage.

Ive got a 300 mile round trip to Wales this weekend, I kinda saw this coming and filled up on Monday, should have enough to get me there and back, but im confident the M4 services will have fuel (my local garage was dry this morning).

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied

Part of me is kicking myself for leaving last client co. I was on a site that kept 240,000 litres of diesel in reserve just in case of a strike. That would have kept my focus going for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    You got it. The non-panic came just in time to boost VAT receipts this quarter. That helps out Boy George's money problems and as a bonus, proves that the economy is doing well under this government.

Then next quarter the drivers strike and VAT receipts are down (doubly so because of the advance buying). That proves that striking workers ruined the economy. Govt introduces new anti-union legislation.

The following quarter, back to normal. VAT receipts back up. Proves that the government followed the right course.

Yes, we were born yesterday.
    Ah! A conspracy Theorist

And probably correct, but it beats the old method of starting a war to detract people

Leave a comment:

Working...
X