• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Typical public-sector service"

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Although it's improved over the years, here's another bit of craziness from Companies House webfiling:

WebFiling has logged you out as the browser 'Back Button' was used or a button was clicked twice.
    Please re-enter your login details below to return to WebFiling.
    Of course. When users click a back button, or any button twice, it's because they want to log out. Everyone knows this.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    You managed to find a known fault in the Oxford disctionary.

Well done.
    Dictionary

I know it's probably a typo, but if we are going to get pedantic about things we might as well do it properly

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    You managed to find a known fault in the Oxford disctionary.

Well done.

Leave a comment:

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    Originally posted by Emperor Dalek
    When the IR (as it was then) launched self-assessment on-line, for the first two years all tax returns submitted on-line were printed out and then manually entered by clerks into the calculation and filing system. That's why there was an error rate of > 30%.
    Seems most govt sites are like this. The HMRC site was a 'mare last week for all those submitting employer end of year PAYE returns. The whole interface was clunky & took you to places you didn't expect. And that was when the whole thing didn't freeze up on you. I suppose HMRC would say there were too many users filing online up to the last minute - but don't they forecast for this sort of thing and ensure system resources can cope?

Leave a comment:

• XLMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    No, rasor

HTH

no results

http://www.askoxford.com/results/?vi...r=score%2Cname

...but

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed...srazor?view=uk

is fine.

hth

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by XLMonkey
    Razor

(thought I'd save Fleetwood the trouble)
    No, rasor

HTH

Leave a comment:

• XLMonkey
    replied
    Razor

(thought I'd save Fleetwood the trouble)

Leave a comment:

• Emperor Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Fellman
    Thats exactly how NTL processed one of their early Internet products
    When the IR (as it was then) launched self-assessment on-line, for the first two years all tax returns submitted on-line were printed out and then manually entered by clerks into the calculation and filing system. That's why there was an error rate of > 30%.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Fellman
    Recently replaced by an army of crack smoking monkeys.

Leave a comment:

• Fellman
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan
    Perhaps they have a person sat at a computer personally answering each web request?

Leave a comment:

• dmini
    replied
    I've had this recently with the AA insurance website that lets you order a replacement certificate, but is only available during office hours.

Perhaps they have a person sat at a computer personally answering each web request?
    You've worked at the AA recently then? Or was it just a lucky guess?

Leave a comment:

• Bovvered
    replied
    Thats just poor ******* design.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    By Occam's rasor, I feel you must be correct.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I've had this recently with the AA insurance website that lets you order a replacement certificate, but is only available during office hours.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Does it need downtime for backups, maintenance and all that stuff?
    tut tut, down time for all that, tut tut. some people don't know about real technology

Leave a comment:

Working...
X