• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Time to move your money from overseas accounts"

Collapse

• Joe Black
    replied
    In my case I have an off-planet account with the First Universal Bank of Mars, having set up a business there a few years ago. No more IR, CSA or other worries, which is nice.

threaded

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Anyone hiding money from the UK (or european) tax man in an offshore account with a British (or European) Bank inside Europe was/is pretty much asking to get done sooner or later, thats been a fact of life since Gib. opened up their accounts about 10 years ago to the UK tax man

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Its in the link posted at the bottom of the second page by ASB

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    Lone Gunman,

u r a plonker.

Milan.
    Who told you that Beans old boy?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Lone Gunman,

u r a plonker.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB
    I used to hold a couple of offshore accounts whilst resident in the UK and permanently working in Europe. Again everything declared etc. However when investigated in '95 the inspector got very excited. Despite the fact that I simply handed over all details when asked for details of all accounts. If it was not for this I think that the investigation would have been concluded in much less that 3 years.
    Thats made my day!!!! Not worried now am I!

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    You seem to have the same mentality is HMG or Hector, something you need to tell us? Offshore accounts are not only the domain of crooks and tax avoiders, there are a number of reasons for wanting/needing them.
    I Have worked all over Europe, well Germany and Belgium. Getting money to and from the UK can work out expensive with transfer charges and the different exchange rates depending if you are buying or selling. I invoice in euros, my management company is in Denmark. They pay me a local amount in country and the rest goes offshore but it is all declared. I have an offshore Euro account and an offshore GBP account with the same bank whith whom I also have an onshore UK account. I pay no charges with transfers between these accounts and get the same exchange rate based on the days rate so pay no costs there either. It only saves a few quid per transaction but it saves and when I change countries I dont have any hassles paying deposits for flats and stuff.

Others may do it differently but this method works for me.

I used to hold a couple of offshore accounts whilst resident in the UK and permanently working in Europe. Again everything declared etc. However when investigated in '95 the inspector got very excited. Despite the fact that I simply handed over all details when asked for details of all accounts. If it was not for this I think that the investigation would have been concluded in much less that 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    So who are special commissioners employed by mohio?

Mailman
    When in hole stop digging. It's really easy to find out rather than just blatantly assuming....

Anyway it's the department of constitutional affairs.

http://www.financeandtaxtribunals.go..._scit_new1.pdf

You might be surprised at just how may cases the IR lose at the specials.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    No I´m not HMG or Hector, I was merely asking.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman
    Lone Gunman

If you´re not hiding money and declaring everything what is the point of an offshore account especially as a UK resident?
    You seem to have the same mentality is HMG or Hector, something you need to tell us? Offshore accounts are not only the domain of crooks and tax avoiders, there are a number of reasons for wanting/needing them.
    I Have worked all over Europe, well Germany and Belgium. Getting money to and from the UK can work out expensive with transfer charges and the different exchange rates depending if you are buying or selling. I invoice in euros, my management company is in Denmark. They pay me a local amount in country and the rest goes offshore but it is all declared. I have an offshore Euro account and an offshore GBP account with the same bank whith whom I also have an onshore UK account. I pay no charges with transfers between these accounts and get the same exchange rate based on the days rate so pay no costs there either. It only saves a few quid per transaction but it saves and when I change countries I dont have any hassles paying deposits for flats and stuff.

Others may do it differently but this method works for me.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Lone Gunman

If you´re not hiding money and declaring everything what is the point of an offshore account especially as a UK resident?

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB
    No you didn't get it right.
    So who are special commissioners employed by mohio?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    All banks in the EU zone will have signed up to this rule (cant remember its name) by 2010 that includes Switzerland. Luxemburg banks have said they will not do so untill the final date. Banks outside the zone can not be touched so Virgin and Caymens look good.
    Within the zone most of the banks (including mine) will not disclose if you can prove you are not tax resident in the enquiring country.
    All my offshore money is tax paid and I declare the interest so I dont see what the problem is.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Google

Originally posted by jenever
    Oh dear.

In fact (as it says in the article) the European Savings Directive already means withholding tax is deducted.

Does anyone know of an offshore account which is still anonymous - it's just that a mate was interested ....
    There are apparently still some countries.

Suggest you look them up on Google, preferably from your work. Typing something like "offshore tax avoidance" should do the trick.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    You stick your money in a foreign bank...sorted.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X