• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Vote for Finland

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vote for Finland"

Collapse

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Swamp Thing
    Being a keen follower of Eurovision (it’s so bad it’s good), 2006 was a vintage year. I always look for the most dodgy musical instrument, worst singer, odd-ball entry, the most pneumatic singer, and the most way-out/outré entry. So my awards this year are:

Dodgy instrument: Croatia (a plinky-plinky type thing of uncertain purpose)
    Worst singer: France (she was off-key for the whole song)
    Odd-ball entry: A tie: Spain and the country with the acapella-singing blokes + robot (Latvia?)
    Pneumatic singer: Croatia (Crumbs! I bet the sex is awesome)
    Way-out: Finland (of course)
    I always assess the thumpability index of the male compere. It was very high this year.

Leave a comment:

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    Being a keen follower of Eurovision (it’s so bad it’s good), 2006 was a vintage year. I always look for the most dodgy musical instrument, worst singer, odd-ball entry, the most pneumatic singer, and the most way-out/outré entry. So my awards this year are:

Dodgy instrument: Croatia (a plinky-plinky type thing of uncertain purpose)
    Worst singer: France (she was off-key for the whole song)
    Odd-ball entry: A tie: Spain and the country with the acapella-singing blokes + robot (Latvia?)
    Pneumatic singer: Croatia (Crumbs! I bet the sex is awesome)
    Way-out: Finland (of course)

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    I think Richie Blackmore should sue because there was a Rainbow ?lick? used.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus
    But Bucks Fizz won.
    They did? Oh deary me. The world is a sicker place than I ever thought possible.

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by Fungus
    It just goes to show that if a country enters a decent song - rather than the poncy fluffy excremental tulipe of Bucks Fizz etc - it will win. Surely there must be a rule against such unfair behaviour?
    But Bucks Fizz won.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    It just goes to show that if a country enters a decent song - rather than the poncy fluffy excremental tulipe of Bucks Fizz etc - it will win. Surely there must be a rule against such unfair behaviour?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt
    Well we voted for Finland and (I think( it was Lithuania (the We Won Eurovision song as it cracked me up.) But you can still see that most of the voting is political, sucks. Glad they won which might shake it up a bit.
    The Lithuanian song was very cool. I wouldn't be surprised if they recycle it for the world cup somewhere.

It was really embarassing the way countries voted, especially with the giggling of the presenter where they were giving the 12 points, to the ... surprise... surprise.... neighboor country(with the exception of Spain/Portugal). It really makes you think how string is the cultural feelings towards the idea of Europe as every country sticks to his own history and political preferences. Russia, especially, managed to get a second place only thanks to their ex republics. However, I think the most original song won at the end thanks for grabbing some deserved points from all the countries.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Well we voted for Finland and (I think( it was Lithuania (the We Won Eurovision song as it cracked me up.) But you can still see that most of the voting is political, sucks. Glad they won which might shake it up a bit.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    As the voting began, my son and I sat down with an atlas and my rough knowledge of current politics, gained from this bulletin board, and we correctly predicted where two out of most country’s top three votes would go.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Didn't see it (good grief z, you mean you actually watched it?) it but excellent. Any group with a member dressed as a zombie is ok by me.

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    Chico, I think you should read the Da Vinci Code - these symbols have nothing to do with Satan.

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    Yep Europe have voted - for the country with satanic symbolism. Hmmm.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Oh my gawd! Thay won!!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Those Finnish guys did a good job, very well executed - not taking off masks all the time did it for me: certainly shows committment.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Well, as you may have guessed, I voted for Finland, as I think did the rest of Europe.

Why, well, I think it is a protest vote at the dreary love songs and plinky-plink music of recent years. People want to be entertained and they want their socks rocked off. The dont want to listen about some poor shepherd-boy from Armenia and his love for his goat, or some fat slag from France moaning about finding true love with her washing machine.

The people want to be rocked.

Rock on, pop pickers.

(Shame it wasn't heavier, ala Slayer, but I suppose soft rock is a good place to start in turning the norms over to the dark side.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X