• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IR35 was much better under Labour"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by adubya View Post
    Suity repairs PCs in the evenings ?

Are these the same ones he breaks during the day ?
    Tedious.

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    What if you have a normal 5 days a week contract, and do PC repair nights and the weekend like Suity? (no dig at Suity at all here by the way, a very good example to use here).
    Suity repairs PCs in the evenings ?

Are these the same ones he breaks during the day ?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Serious answer, it's a computer forum. Live with it. You were sniping away when I got banned so I thought I was due a retort or two.

As for you little man, you got caught with your pants down, then whinged to all and sundry about the injustice.

Oh and the link I posted earlier was to a topic on this forum. Searchable by all.

Why waste your energy with all this bitching? It's not big and it's not clever.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I thought this was real life.
    Did you notice the moderators in action on this topic?

It was quite funny really. All of a sudden there was a flurry of activity.

I bet they're knackered now.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Serious answer, it's a computer forum.
    I thought this was real life.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    So what IS the line you draw for a 1 man company to be considered a real company?

You mention someone earning £50-60K a day, versus "up to say £800 a day".

How do new consultancy companies start, can they only be started by more than 1 person?

Is it only after a couple of years of only being a 1 man company that the goverment then deem you as never going to become a "real" consultancy with more than 1 employee?

Define "long term" as well. Are you ok if all your contracts are less than a year? What if one slips over that long term line?

What if you have 2 long term contracts concurrently, the first 2 days a week, the 2nd 3 days a week?

What if you have a normal 5 days a week contract, and do PC repair nights and the weekend like Suity? (no dig at Suity at all here by the way, a very good example to use here).
    Bloody good response I say. Just to add to that:

Does the fact we have no employee rights not affect our employment status? We don't get holiday pay, sick pay and we have to risk not being a cushy employee to go out and hunt for work. Quite frankly the whole system is backwards, outdated and injust. Just think of the fact that the very people setting these tax policies go on to avoid paying tax themselves (God only knows how much these politicians actually make). And let's not forget the whole expenses scandal which still goes on today....

The fact is you have every right to avoid paying as much tax as possible(legally) cos otherwise you are just being screwed over by the taxman to the max. And it's not like we get good value for the tax we pay anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Serious one and without any point scoring.

Why do you have to come on here to be nasty and aggressive? You rarely contribute anything constructive or helpful, infact I'm not sure you ever have. The only time you aren't having a go at someone is when you are bragging. Maybe it's the kick of acting like a troll?

I would have thought that now you have a son and a missus that would have calmed you down a bit, but it seems not. Perhaps in real life you are a nice bloke and you just don't translate in cyberspace.
    Serious answer, it's a computer forum. Live with it. You were sniping away when I got banned so I thought I was due a retort or two.

As for you little man, you got caught with your pants down, then whinged to all and sundry about the injustice.

Oh and the link I posted earlier was to a topic on this forum. Searchable by all.
    Last edited by Churchill; 23 March 2012, 08:53.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Serious one and without any point scoring.

Why do you have to come on here to be nasty and aggressive? You rarely contribute anything constructive or helpful, infact I'm not sure you ever have. The only time you aren't having a go at someone is when you are bragging. Maybe it's the kick of acting like a troll?

I would have thought that now you have a son and a missus that would have calmed you down a bit, but it seems not. Perhaps in real life you are a nice bloke and you just don't translate in cyberspace.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 22 March 2012, 23:55.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Link to what? If you have some information that may help the police you should divulge it now.
    Nah, I don't think I'll bother. RH deleted it for a reason.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Didn't you see the link I posted yesterday, before RH deleted it?

Shame.
    Link to what? If you have some information that may help the police you should divulge it now.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Good points.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I applaud your honesty, if that's the case. All this poncing about pretending to run companies makes us look as seedy as the public sector directors running PSCs.
    One-man-band limited companies have always been seen as a bit shady. But since 1978 when the government effectively stopped contractors from operating as Schedule D self-employed sole traders, there has been little alternative. Besides, I get the feeling HMRC like OMB limited companies because they are firmly on the tax map. It would be very hard to police all the expenses and VAT if ~1.5m contractors just ran things from their personal bank accounts.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Nothing in the budget about using networks of companies to avoid paying tax then?

Tony Blair's companies turned over £12m but he only paid £315k in tax

Tony Blair's tiny tax bill and the foul stench of fat-cat greed | Mail Online

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    How exactly?
    Didn't you see the link I posted yesterday, before RH deleted it?

Shame.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I applaud your honesty, if that's the case. All this poncing about pretending to run companies makes us look as seedy as the public sector directors running PSCs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X