• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First day of spring!"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Smug git.
    Just at one with the cosmos

I think it was in 1987 that a load of us (more than five hundred I reckon) turned up at Stonehenge preparing to celebrate the Winter Solstice on 21st December. The English Heritage folk got terribly confused, as the previous year it had been on the 20th. They were fine with opening up the stones to us once they'd realised their mistake, and a good, if extremely cold, time was had by all

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    British Summer Time starts on the 25th, so things are really starting to crack on towards more clement weather.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Happy Vernal Equinox everybody!

For those thinking it's tomorrow: the Equinoxes and Solstices change time and thus sometimes date each year due to the fact that the Earth doesn't orbit the Sun in exactly one year. So some years the Vernal Equinox will be on the 20th, other years on the 21st
    Smug git.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Happy Vernal Equinox everybody!

For those thinking it's tomorrow: the Equinoxes and Solstices change time and thus sometimes date each year due to the fact that the Earth doesn't orbit the Sun in exactly one year. So some years the Vernal Equinox will be on the 20th, other years on the 21st

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    6 weeks later surely?

That puts the coldest day in the middle of a winter that ends on 1 March, which seems reasonable to me.
    Oops, yes. 1st march seems about right after all.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Spring is sprung
    The grass is riz
    I wonder where the boidies is?
    They say the boids is on the wing.
    That's absoid! The wings is on the boid.

Summer's on its way folks!
    I like that poem. Used to get quoted that as a kid.

I believe you are a day early though.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Some people got all hoity toity on here last time I mentioned spring starting around the equinox. Or perhaps it was that start of summer being on mid-summers day. Anyway, for the weathermen, spring started on the 1st March, even if most calendars show it as starting around 20/21/22 of March.

I learnt that statistically the coldest day in the northern hemisphere is 19 January, so having winter ending only 2 weeks later does seem a tad premature. I'm more inclined to go with the Yank and more old fashioned date of the spring equinox too.
    6 weeks later surely?

That puts the coldest day in the middle of a winter that ends on 1 March, which seems reasonable to me.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Happy spring all (even though I thought it started tomorrow).

Sun shining and warm here.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

I really hope new client budgets are just around the corner...

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Happy spring all

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I thought technically it was tomorrow?

Though my first day of spring this year was 1st March. A lovely day. Shame I came off the bike and hurt my ribs.
    Nope today!

Happy spring everyone and lovely day it is for it too! (well it is here anyway)

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Happy spring everyone. The rooks were "having it" in the trees on the way into the office. The rhubarb in the garden is sprouting and the garden. All is good with the world.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    google says it's spring. That's authority enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I thought technically it was tomorrow?

Though my first day of spring this year was 1st March. A lovely day. Shame I came off the bike and hurt my ribs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X