• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you buy lottery tickets?"

Collapse

• BabyBoomer
    replied
    Dreams for sale

BrilloPad and Optimus have the right idea.

Lottery ticket is worth 50p once bought, then 0p after it is checked, plus whatever value you place on your daydreams about winning in the meantime.

To maximise this you should buy one ticket and hold it for 25 weeks before checking it, thus reducing the price of your dreams to 2p/week.

Simples!

Not so simple: you should also pick the least popular numbers (not the least frequent), so that you are less likely to have to share your prizes. These can be calculated, from the number of winners for each individual number over the last n years. However, this set will now be rendered useless by all the CUKers who will now rush out and pick these numbers. So the strategy needs to be adapted, eg by replacing one of the numbers for another.

Is there a Quants person out there who can devise an optimum strategy for this?

This is my plan C, but I don't mind sharing it with you.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    We need a tax on people too lazy and stupid to learn how to use an apostrophe.
    The grammar pedantry is strong in this one

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the budget thread?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Lottery is a tax on the stupid in the same way speed camera's are a tax on motorists, you have a choice not to pay.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    In terms of expected returns, lottery tickets are probably slightly less daft than buying a brand new car?

I cannot remember if I ever bought a ticket myself. Maybe I will in honour of this thread... imagine the look on DP's face if one of us paupers won big!

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Bit of harmless fun. Mainly participate when the numbers look too tempting to avoid.

To be frank, watching those game shows when someone goes insane about winning £20k, I think 'would it really be worth it'? Not for me.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Lottery is a tax on the stupid in the same way speed camera's are a tax on the stupid too, you have a choice not to buy lottery tickets and to not speed.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I've had £500 worth of Premium Bonds since 2004 (a gift) and have still haven't won a penny on them.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Missus spends about £10 every 2 months or so.

Never won a thing.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    You've got to be in it to win it !

A syndicate in my local pub won £70k. I hadn't given over my £2 that week.

A few years before, the landlord won £90k

Those bus drivers who won £36m are less than a bus ride away from me.

Yes, I do buy tickets. As I approach a certain age, I know now that I won't get rich through my own endeavours. So it's a bit of fun that allows me to dream. And no amount of calling me stupid on here will make me change

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I usually spend £10-£20 when the Euromillions gets > a lot or there's a decent Rollover. Don't bother otherwise. I don't intellectualise it, it's only a bit of fun.
    WLS.

Last time I bought Euromillions tickets was when those fat pykies in Largs won £161M.

Has to be a super huge rollover for me to be interested.

I know the odds are ridiculous, but once in a while it doesn't hurt. Not like £20 is most of my weeks benefits is it.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    My mate always has a little dig at the people in front of him queuing in front of him to pay their stupid tax while he's waiting to buy his fags.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Lottery is a tax on the stupid in the same way speed camera's are a tax on motorists, you have a choice not to pay.
    That's a daft analogy, with speed cameras you don't find one person gets rewarded with the fines from others... over 50% of the lottery money goes to prizes so it's more a redistribution of wealth.

Leave a comment:

• Optimus Prime
    replied
    It does give you something to look forward to and dream about, perhaps with your spouse. That's got to be worth a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I usually spend £10-£20 when the Euromillions gets > a lot or there's a decent Rollover. Don't bother otherwise. I don't intellectualise it, it's only a bit of fun.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X