• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: God advice....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "God advice...."

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Presumably theology has nothing to say about God?
    I am a bit concerned that I would find it easy to forgive my son even if he did something wrong and didnt apologise or ask for forgiveness. Yet God finds this a barrier to maximising total human happiness

A bit of a strict one if yous wanted my opinion

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is? If you don't think God exists, why do you care what the theology about him says in the first place? I'm simply correcting an earlier poster about what Christianity/the bible actually says, so he can choose more accurately what it is he doesn't agree with.
    Presumably theology has nothing to say about God?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm not sure what your point is? If you don't think God exists, why do you care what the theology about him says in the first place? I'm simply correcting an earlier poster about what Christianity/the bible actually says, so he can choose more accurately what it is he doesn't agree with.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    [Christian] Theology is the study of what the bible says and means, not whether it's real. Theology is a serious academic subject... how the bible and the religion hang together, regardless if what they talk about is real. All the top universities offer theology as a course, and many (maybe most) theology students are atheists.

So, a bit of a daft question really.
    OK - but you were talking about what theology says about God.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    By 'theology' do you mean fairy tales? If not how can we tell the difference?
    [Christian] Theology is the study of what the bible says and means, not whether it's real. Theology is a serious academic subject... how the bible and the religion hang together, regardless if what they talk about is real. All the top universities offer theology as a course, and many (maybe most) theology students are atheists.

So, a bit of a daft question really.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Nope. You have the theology backwards. Atheists choose to reject God, not the other way around.

Also the idea that a 'nice' God would 'let everyone in' portrays God as a sentimental, weak-willed pushover. God is frequently compared to a father; a good father doesn't let their child get away with disobedience after warning the child they will be in trouble - the punishment does not in any way imply the father doesn't love the child.

This is basic theology, read a book if you want to know the 'stock answers'. CS Lewis is good if you don't want something dry and boring.
    By 'theology' do you mean fairy tales? If not how can we tell the difference?

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Choosing any religious means you are screwed, the fact that pretty much all of them say if you don't believe in our version you will go to hell and you cannot believe in them all so odds are you are going to at least one version of hell, as science states a body of mass cannot be in two places at once you will be left in a state of limbo forever wondering why you spent once day a week in religious servitude when the end result was the same.

Either that or you will be worm food so either way its lose/lose
    Why not.

I think you should believe in all religions.
    Just to be safe.

Would that cause any conflicts?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    So ... God exists and is on some sort of ego trip in which he will be the saviour of believers only and forsake all atheists regardless of their good deeds.
    Nope. You have the theology backwards. Atheists choose to reject God, not the other way around.

Also the idea that a 'nice' God would 'let everyone in' portrays God as a sentimental, weak-willed pushover. God is frequently compared to a father; a good father doesn't let their child get away with disobedience after warning the child they will be in trouble - the punishment does not in any way imply the father doesn't love the child.

This is basic theology, read a book if you want to know the 'stock answers'. CS Lewis is good if you don't want something dry and boring.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    As my religious friend once said to me, "If I am wrong I have wasted my life, if you are wrong you have wasted eternity."
    So your friend thinks that God exists and is on some sort of ego trip in which he will be the saviour of believers only and forsake all atheists regardless of their good deeds. This is just one reason that religion sickens me.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigD
    replied
    It's not.

HTH
    I think it is.

The bread and wine IS the body and blood of Christ, in the form of Bread and Wine.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    I believe the plan is flawed. Religious ladies don't put out before wedlock.
    She's right!!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TiroFijo View Post
    If all that wine they drink at church really is the blood of Jesus then he must have been wasted 24/7
    It's not.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
    If he does not intervene, then we can deduce one of the following from this simple experiment:

1. God does not exist, never did, and is a product of man's imagination.
    2. God exists, but is powerless/unwilling to intervene in human affairs, and therefore cannot or will not help you.
    3. God exists, but he has horns and hooves - not a halo.
    I think you're paraphrasing this . . .

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
    - Epicurus

Leave a comment:

• TiroFijo
    replied
    If all that wine they drink at church really is the blood of Jesus then he must have been wasted 24/7

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    I believe the plan is flawed. Religious ladies don't put out before wedlock.
    Mrs BP is quite religious - but she put out on the 2nd date!

But then I am quite a catch.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X