• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Make Bradford British"

Collapse

• yetanotherbob
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    That's certainly the Indian view of the conflict.
    Not quite just the Indian view:
    Pakistanis are PATHOLOGICAL LIARS: Richard Clarke - YouTube

Even the right minded in Pakistan agree with this.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
    ..To be fair to India, it's the Pakis that are the aggressors - their whole world view and reason raison d'être is India or its annihilation or some bizzare unfinished muslim conquest or something. ....
    That's certainly the Indian view of the conflict.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Asian in terms of ethnicity has grown to mean Indian sub-continent in the U.K. In the U.S. it means something different. It's just an accident of language and history, although wim seems worried, but unfortunately not in the original sense of the word.
    It's also an Aussie and Kiwi thing as well to call "Asian" people who have origins in China, Korea and Japan.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    civility and South Asia of today don't go together. Human life doesn't seem to have had much value till recent decades. If Quebec or Scotland want independence, they get to do the civilised thing and hold a referendum. Not in that tuliphole of south asia - they kill or crush instead.
    It wasn't so historically - India was a great civilisation once. And regarding civility, India never in its history ever attack another land (and yet large empires flourished there 'without aggression' before the muslim invaders popped over)
    Is it just Pakistan though? I haven't lived there so I couldn't comment, but it seems like India hasn't been too meek and mild in the past?

Now, back to Bradford as that's what we're primarily concerned with here:

Well, I as a minority of one here can vouch for the skilled visa regulations (not counting ICT's).
    Here's the crux of the Bradford problem and why I think Indians should be left out of this (our problems with the IT bob ict visas aside):

The Muslim Mirpuris in Britain cultural dislocation

We are now living through the repercussions of those decisions. (Of course, a number of Indian doctors (and yeah, taxi drivers too) also came over at that time and flourished here but not in these numbers)
    Just reading through the linked material at the moment but I would probably agree with you somewhat here.

But this could be easily be abused by a political party - bring the masses in and win elections!
    Like labour?

I sincerely hope we don't see that day and can do something to not let that happen.
    So do I, but in some parts of the UK I can already see it happening. It is sad that some try to live in a segregated manner and only come together to fight one another.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    How have you fixed it at all? All you did is put a full stop after "most", fail to capitalise the next letter and made the whole paragraph disjointed.
    They was the trick to make sure you're paying attention. The correction is elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Living in Pudsey I see the have to drive through Bradford a lot and it's nightmare. On the main Leeds rd Asian driver frequently just stop one in each direction and just talk to each other, on the way back last time four Asians in a Golf did the weaver bird along Rooley Rd, took what they thought was a shortcut off Sticker Lane and emerged behind me on Leeds Road, then drove on the fecking pavement nearside to get by me, nutters.

Talking about Leeds Rd, whats the deal with the huge St Georges flag painted on the pub? Waggon and Horses I think.

Had two nights out in Bradistan, never again, saw a mugging once and the aftermath of another the second time. Got a taxi home and the taxi driver was ranting 'I hate Pakis me, and I am one!' Says it all, really....

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I've fixed your punctuation. It is a common enough error among the semi-literate.
    How have you fixed it at all? All you did is put a full stop after "most", fail to capitalise the next letter and made the whole paragraph disjointed.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Ehhhh yes ...

You are wrong. I am right ...

Your post is rather pathetic. Just because numerous people make the same error, when done all the time it doesn't mean those people are correct.

Grammar is a point here. Most. people in Essex among other counties cannot speak properly. Here is one example:
    Commonly said: You speak English good.
    Correct phrase: You speak English well.

Long point short, just because most people are retarded, that does make them correct.
    I've fixed your punctuation. It is a common enough error among the semi-literate.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Er, no.

If you had read the local newspapers in the Bradford area you would have seen the Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis referred to as "The Asian Community".

Quick example: Take care of your gold, Bradford police warn

And errm, I've just tuned into BBC Asian network, and the music I am hearing is certainly from the Indian subcontinent.
    Ehhhh yes ...

You are wrong, I am right ...

Your post is rather pathetic. Just because numerous people make the same error, when done all the time it doesn't mean those people are correct.

Grammar is a point here. Most people in Essex among other counties cannot speak properly. Here is one example:
    Commonly said: You speak English good.
    Correct phrase: You speak English well.

Long point short, just because most people are retarded, that does not make them correct.
    Last edited by wim121; 10 March 2012, 19:38. Reason: **missed out "not"

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Er, no.

If you had read the local newspapers in the Bradford area you would have seen the Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis referred to as "The Asian Community".

And errm, I've just tuned into BBC Asian network, and the music I am hearing is certainly from the Indian subcontinent.
    Asian in terms of ethnicity has grown to mean Indian sub-continent in the U.K. In the U.S. it means something different. It's just an accident of language and history, although wim seems worried, but unfortunately not in the original sense of the word.

Leave a comment:

• yetanotherbob
    replied
    Er, no.
    You're right. It's more of an American thing to refer to East Asians as 'Asians' while here, by Asian we commonly mean South Asian.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    On a side note, in the program one thing that annoyed me about the people in the programme and idiots in this thread, is the constant reference to "Asians". India and Pakistan are on the Indian subcontinent as shown below and are not Asian at all. When one refers to Asians, they invariably mean China, Japan, Singapore, etc, not Indians or Pakistanis. Don't tar civilised people in the far east with the Indian subcontinent brush.
    Er, no.

A leading Bradford detective has urged members of the Asian community to take security steps to avoid becoming victims of gold thieves.

Leave a comment:

• yetanotherbob
    replied
    Yes, but that is like saying the UK is the same as Eastern Europe.
    The UK is part of Europe. Then Western Europe (unless you argue Islands aren't really part of continents). But i get your point.

India and Pakistan are vastly different to other Asian countries who at least try to maintain civility. Even the fanatical Koreans are nicer towards each other than India and Pakistan are.
    To be fair to India, it's the Pakistanis that are the aggressors - their whole world view and reason raison d'être is India or its annihilation or some bizzare unfinished muslim conquest or something.

I agree with you on civility though sadly - civility and South Asia of today don't go together. Human life doesn't seem to have had much value till recent decades. If Quebec or Scotland want independence, they get to do the civilised thing and hold a referendum. Not in that tuliphole of south asia - they kill or crush instead.
    It wasn't so historically - India was a great civilisation once. And regarding civility, India never in its history ever attack another land (and yet large empires flourished there 'without aggression' before the muslim invaders popped over)

Now, back to Bradford as that's what we're primarily concerned with here:
    Not that one would believe so, but the UK has skill set visa regulations as well but unfortunately others are let in on political reasons.

That means that instead of letting in the brightest, we often instead let in the scum that arent even wanted in their own countries.
    Well, I as a minority of one here can vouch for the skilled visa regulations (not counting ICT's).
    Here's the crux of the Bradford problem and why I think Indians should be left out of this (our problems with the IT bob ict visas aside):

The Muslim Mirpuris in Britain cultural dislocation
    The reasons for the large proportion of Mirpuris (It's a region of Pakistan) in the UK is historical. In the late 1950’s & early 1960’s, the Pakistani Government planned the Mangla Dam, which was to be built in the Mirpur area. They asked several thousand locals to leave the land. At that time, the British needed man-power mainly for their textile factories. Many of the Mirpuris moved to Britain and started working in factories, mostly in the so called “black country” and the area of Bradford, England. In some villages, more than half the village population moved to the UK to settle in the industrial towns (readily available vote bank for the political party that brought them here??). This rural, impoverished district provided cheap, unskilled labour for Britain in the 60’s and 70’s.
    We are now living through the repercussions of those decisions. (Of course, a number of Indian doctors (and yeah, taxi drivers too) also came over at that time and flourished here but not in these numbers)
    Political reasons: Now, if you put two and two together, commonwealth citizens who are legal residents can vote in this country. I personally consider it a just and civilised rule - if I live in, contribute to and flourish in a society legally, I get to have a vote. But this could be easily be abused by a political party - bring the masses in and win elections!

The UK will eventually over the following decades, end up as one massive battleground for everyone to burn flags, bibles/korans, have massive punch ups and "honour" kill entire communities. Few people here have respect for other cultures and most dont even respect their own.
    I sincerely hope we don't see that day and can do something to not let that happen.
    Last edited by yetanotherbob; 15 March 2012, 06:17. Reason: Removed word P**i (was intended as a short form rather than a racist word)

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Does a T-shirt embossed with "cover me with chocolate and throw me to the lesbians" offend me? Yes
    Poofter!!!

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    And what part of New Delhi are 'they' trying to make it?
    Seriously, have some awareness of where the world is heading now - parts of Delhi are now developed a lot (and most of New Delhi was built by the British and now Delhi is developing even more and FAST). The new metro rail system and the new airport just a couple of examples.
    Way to try and take it out of context. My exact paragraph was this:
    If you move to another country, you should adopt their laws, customs and try to integrate. The sad fact is immigrants here on the most part don't. They try to make a New Delhi in the UK instead. As I have said before, if I go to another country even on holiday, I try to speak the language. If I emigrated there I would try my best to integrate in any way I could.

The Indian subcontinent aren't the only ones guilty of this though. Some Brits emigrating to Spain have made it like little Britain, stripping away all of the charms of some towns which is just pathetic.
    Which you acknowledged by saying this:
    and on the whole, communities do tend to ghettoise with their 'own' kind (that's true of East Asians as well, as the numerous Chinatowns attest)

The whole point is, some immigrants refuse integration and instead recreate their own towns within this country. Other nationalities have done the same abroad as well so the comment was more than fair.

The UK unfortunately, allows immigrants to make their own rules and customs and get away with behaviour in the UK that they wouldn't get away with if they emigrated elsewhere.

Im sorry you lack the intelligence to read properly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X