• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Soldiers die in war"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Kelstar View Post
    My partner is a serving Royal Marine. And having watching my him mourn the loss of his friends lost during his tours and the post traumatic stress suffered as a result of this war I think a bright light of reality needs to be shone on those who think they can fight a war, or oppose it indeed, from an arm chair.

Whilst I can see the view point that "these men knew what they were signing up to" that doesn't diminish our humane responsibility to show compassion and respect to those families and loved ones that are not only left behind but also suffer the agony of worry, each and every single day whilst our men and women are on tour.

I am far from liberal, however I do not believe anyone knows the true horror or sacrifice of what they are "signing up to"! And thank bloody god we don't, and for that we should be thankful!

We live in a democratic society and the choice to go to war is one that my partner does not make. He does not vote for the simple fact is he has signed his life to SERVE his country, not participate in the decision making. He comes from a long line of service men and that is what is in his blood. I cannot even get my head around this thought process or motivation to go to work, however at the very least I believe it should be accepted and appreciated.

He is one of the lucky ones, some simply have no other choice or options open to them given their education and opportunities available to them in their location or means of family support.

Whilst YOU choose to live in this democratic society YOU should choose to respect those that protect our freedom and democratic lives, regardless if you agree with the decisions made by those elected. Otherwise, you know where the door is. You also have the choice to oppose decisions by those elected but do not use those footmen carrying out the actions as scapegoats for your frustration.
    This encapsulates my thoughts exactly. The freedoms that some enjoy, and use only to criticise, is paid for with the blood of those who selflessly serve.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Anyways, hilarity and unwelcome intrusions aside for a moment.

RIP dead soldiers 6

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
    Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
    They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
    They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them.

WEOS.

Leave a comment:

• Kelstar
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    My point will always be though around media coverage. Watched the news tonight parade the photographs of our dead serviceman across the screen & make the point about how each one was individual & each had left loved ones behind. That same sentiment is not shared for the greater numbers who die by their hands who were also individuals & had loved ones.
    We can politely agree to disagree on this one.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Whilst YOU choose to live in this democratic society YOU should choose to respect those that protect our freedom and democratic lives, regardless if you agree with the decisions made by those elected. Otherwise, you know where the door is. You also have the choice to oppose decisions by those elected but do not use those footmen carrying out the actions as scapegoats for your frustration.
    I completely agree. I have the utmost respect for out armed forces. Whereas it is something I toyed with, I never had the discipline required to undertake that particular career & kudos & respect to those who have.

My point will always be though around media coverage. Watched the news tonight parade the photographs of our dead serviceman across the screen & make the point about how each one was individual & each had left loved ones behind. That same sentiment is not shared for the greater numbers who die by their hands who were also individuals & had loved ones.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    My partner is a serving Royal Marine. And having watching my him mourn the loss of his friends lost during his tours and the post traumatic stress suffered as a result of this war I think a bright light of reality needs to be shone on those who think they can fight a war, or oppose it indeed, from an arm chair.

Whilst I can see the view point that "these men knew what they were signing up to" that doesn't diminish our humane responsibility to show compassion and respect to those families and loved ones that are not only left behind but also suffer the agony of worry, each and every single day whilst our men and women are on tour.

I am far from liberal, however I do not believe anyone knows the true horror or sacrifice of what they are "signing up to"! And thank bloody god we don't, and for that we should be thankful!

We live in a democratic society and the choice to go to war is one that my partner does not make. He does not vote for the simple fact is he has signed his life to SERVE his country, not participate in the decision making. He comes from a long line of service men and that is what is in his blood. I cannot even get my head around this thought process or motivation to go to work, however at the very least I believe it should be accepted and appreciated.

He is one of the lucky ones, some simply have no other choice or options open to them given their education and opportunities available to them in their location or means of family support.

What she said, in a way I could not come close to in term of elegance of word

Leave a comment:

• Kelstar
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    The Afghan people were being brutally oppressed by the regime before NATO, is it any better or worse now? I guess we wont know until the job is finished, and it must finish!
    So what is the exit strategy, how do you define the job being finished?
    NATO (America) has announced the withdraw of its forces by 2014- can't see the Taliban being a defeated force in two years time, and what will stop them taking over once the troops have left

Are we to rely on the infiltrated Afghan Army to maintain order?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    The Afghan people were being brutally oppressed by the regime before NATO, is it any better or worse now? I guess we wont know until the job is finished, and it must finish!
    My point is, that the media never mourns for the
    people we protect. Look at the Iraq war. The invasion called a travesty and close to a million dead. It never gets mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    400 soldiers in 10 years, everyone
    leaving a family behind - BBC

I wonder how many Afghanis?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Peep Show
    Correct but zoidy/zuidy won by PM.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    400 soldiers in 10 years, everyone
    leaving a family behind - BBC

I wonder how many Afghanis?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

RIP dead soldiers 6
    WEOS

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

RIP dead soldiers 6

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Shut it you piss-kidney, you big jizz-cock...

...rep to first person to identify the reference.
    Peep Show

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    zoidy wins

Leave a comment:

Working...
X