• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: ICTs

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "ICTs"

Collapse

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    The salary also includes expenses.
    You would think the 20K on 6 months or less would be pro rata of the 40, but no it is per annum.
    Consequently (and this is from the Bobs I work with) they are paid their local wage + a bonus at home and then good living costs here.
    They are better for the sponsoring firm because they can not jump ship once they find out how much everybody else earns. Ours change every 6 months to keep under the limit but none of them are doing "in house" jobs as they are supposed to be. They are all being trained in the clients systems just like anybody else would be.

** I am in Germany, but I believe the rules are similar.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    The guys that come over on ICT have to be on over 40K??? Is that right or am I missing something?
    Apparently for under 6 months it can be £20k - amazing how they watered down initially sensible proposals to benefit certain firms

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    From the same link on CUK...

The guys that come over on ICT have to be on over 40K??? Is that right or am I missing something?
    No, 12 month ICT'ers can effectively work for minimum wage (£20K officially, reduced by Dave from £24K), their numbers can be unlimited, they are not counted, and are heading for the stratosphere. Dave is really keen on ICTs and took a special trip out to India where he managed to get lots more.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied

AFAIK that is correct. The problem is with policing it. The tendency is rather to pay them less than that and then top it up with subsistence allowances etc.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

As a result, ICTs should be kept in place without changes - as should the minimum salary threshold of £40,000 on ICTs permitting the non-EU applicant to work in Britain for longer than 12 months (and up to five years).

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I think you might find he would rather complain than do anything about it. Well done you!
    Ahh bless 'em

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Nothing to do with dodge and I have happily had more than my fair share of dustings with him. But I think you were unfair in your argument. Companies are flooding the market with these abuses. So I agree with you in that respect. But if they though the native workers would pick them up on it publicly they might not feel so invincible. For my part I stopped my current client co importing a dozen bobs last year because I sat in the meeting and told the guy in question that he was breaking the law and that I would ensure that the client and authorities in question got a copy of the email trail if he didn't pack it in.

If no one has the guts to get guerrilla on this matter then sooner or later we will be like the middle class guys that used to build apple stuff in the US. There will be no more UK industry because all the guys in the offshore teams will be able to cut out the middle man.
    I think you might find he would rather complain than do anything about it. Well done you!

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Don't panic, the feeling's mutual - I don't follow you around posting irrelevant tulipe everytime I see you've posted something though - but then that's your way.

Edit : and you are very funny thinking you've joined Dodgy's "gang" aren't you
    Nothing to do with dodge and I have happily had more than my fair share of dustings with him. But I think you were unfair in your argument. Companies are flooding the market with these abuses. So I agree with you in that respect. But if they though the native workers would pick them up on it publicly they might not feel so invincible. For my part I stopped my current client co importing a dozen bobs last year because I sat in the meeting and told the guy in question that he was breaking the law and that I would ensure that the client and authorities in question got a copy of the email trail if he didn't pack it in.

If no one has the guts to get guerrilla on this matter then sooner or later we will be like the middle class guys that used to build apple stuff in the US. There will be no more UK industry because all the guys in the offshore teams will be able to cut out the middle man.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    IT contractors lose under ICT rules, ministers told :: Contractor UK

So the migration advisory committe acknowledges this

The MAC’s recommendation to the government will please the growing number of large consultancy companies, typically headquartered in India, who are importing workers, typically IT workers, into their UK operations.

But their recommendations is this

Whether the ICT route, which now outnumbers any other work visa as a way into Britain, is harmful (or beneficial) to the economy is less clear, however, as it lends flexibility and efficiency to the UK labour market, MAC said.
    As a result, ICTs should be kept in place without change

and they slopy shoulder the responsibility to this bunch of buffoons:

Proper enforcement from the UK Borders Agency is therefore the answer, believes Prof Metcalf, to ensure the use of allowances in the IT sector to inflate salaries in an attempt to meet the ICT salary thresholds is addressed.

Well feck me Prof but that's not an answer.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    No I just think your are an arse [sic].
    Don't panic, the feeling's mutual - I don't follow you around posting irrelevant tulipe everytime I see you've posted something though - but then that's your way.

Edit : and you are very funny thinking you've joined Dodgy's "gang" aren't you

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    I know you can't actually be so stupid that you don't understand the difference between a public place and clientco's office, so that must be some pathetic attempt to make a totally unrelated and pointless reference to an entirely different subject.
    No I just think your are an arse and while you are sat whining about ICT's, and insulting Dodge, a cursory wander round your office holding a phone on the last day of your contract followed by an email complaining of ICT abuse to your MP with a link of proof posted to a public site would yield the result. But that's not your way. You would obviously rather watch...

As for client co offices You Tubes full of material shot in private offices.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    If you think that the ICT scheme is being abused, why not use your freedom to wander around the office and film the bobs all sitting in the office clearly not performing Knowledge Transfer based work and post it on the internet?
    I know you can't actually be so stupid that you don't understand the difference between a public place and clientco's office, so that must be some pathetic attempt to make a totally unrelated and pointless reference to an entirely different subject.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Whats cool (especially in the realms of business data) is that moores law has practically stopped and servers are getting bigger by simply adding more cores and memory.
    Developers need to understand how to make their code run better in a multi-threaded environment. Gone are the days when buying a faster CPU will hide the crap
    Hopefully the "Raspberry Pi" will help there...

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Yes. That exactly!

I am looking at a screen shot of a 20 core twin xeon server doing that today...

I am starting to think that we should include a copy of folding @ home on every server installed just so that someone will get some use out of all those waisted WAIT cycles...

Mummy where do all the CPU WAITs cycles go to die?
    Whats cool (especially in the realms of business data) is that moores law has practically stopped and servers are getting bigger by simply adding more cores and memory.
    Developers need to understand how to make their code run better in a multi-threaded environment. Gone are the days when buying a faster CPU will hide the crap

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Pot? kettle? You are hilarious Dodgy.
    If you think that the ICT scheme is being abused, why not use your freedom to wander around the office and film the bobs all sitting in the office clearly not performing Knowledge Transfer based work and post it on the internet?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X