• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Charging for carrier bags!"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Don't think they do the refundable deposit on the crates any more, but you can put the bottles in an in-store bottle bank and you get money back on branded beer bottles.
    Germany definitely does. I go each week to one of the numerous Getränkemarkts and stock up on crates of beverages ranging from beer via wine through to soft drinks, bloody excellent idea (I also have a bi-weekly delivery service as well.) A crate of beer costs, I dunno, around €16,00 for 24 half litre bottles and when I take the crate back I get €6 back.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Don't think they do the refundable deposit on the crates any more, but you can put the bottles in an in-store bottle bank and you get money back on branded beer bottles.
    Well, it was a long time ago since I was in Holland If I remember correctly the deposit for the crate plus bottles cost more than the beer it contained. The worst I came across was in Africa where they wouldn't let you have a crate unless you brought an old crate full of bottles back. There was no way around this, as the trucks delivering to shops insisted on the same practice. Had to scrounge those from someone we knew before we could buy any.

They've got those money back bottle banks here in the Land of Chocolate too, but I don't often buy anything that uses those. When I first came here there was a separate counter as you walked in for deposit refunds. It must have cost a fortune to staff. Most soft drinks come in PET bottles nowadays, and shops have a bin where you can fling those.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Yes, with tables to do it on.. Very convenient. My nearest supermarket also has a coffee grinder there too, so you can grind your freshly bought beans.

Refundable deposits were made compulsory in Germany in the early 70s, just when the UK was dropping the idea and moving to tins or throwaway bottles. Germany had the right idea in my opinion. When I was in Holland we always had a few crates in, just in case guests called.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
    Another thing I liked about the German and Swiss supermarkets was the facility to remove and recycle any excess(ive) packaging just after the checkouts.
    Yes, with tables to do it on.. Very convenient. My nearest supermarket also has a coffee grinder there too, so you can grind your freshly bought beans.

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
    That and being able to buy bottled beer in crates with a refundable deposit.
    Refundable deposits were made compulsory in Germany in the early 70s, just when the UK was dropping the idea and moving to tins or throwaway bottles. Germany had the right idea in my opinion. When I was in Holland we always had a few crates in, just in case guests called.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    I tend to use the reusable bags I purchased from the Disney store, it drives the neighbours nuts as they think I'm buying yet more DVD's, Clothes, Toys etc for my daughter. They're so keeping up with the Jones' that lot lol

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    In other news the Welsh Government will be snatching you body for spare parts sometime soon unless you opt out.
    I was wondering when that was coming into effect, I think it's a good thing and of course you still have the option to opt out. More lives may be saved because of it

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    WHSh!t , they tried that on me and left my shopping on the counter walked out. Good thing too as I then went to a local private owned shop that was cheaper and gave me a classy strong bag.

WTF were you doing in B&Q? Try Screwfix first, they are very much cheaper they even do sheet material, paint, baths etc etc.
    You know who owns screwfix don't you?

Screwfix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh yes Kingfisher.

Try Toolstation or TLC.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Point is I don't need the cr*ppy supermarket one use bags when I have re-useable bags plus bags from buying clothing.
    But the point is re-usable bags and clothing store bags usually have 20 or 50 times more plastic in than the thin film supermarket bags. So if everyone used those bags, some are so harmful they never degrade in landfill when compared to supermarket thin ones that do within six months and thus harms the environment exponentially especially if everyone did that.

Leave a comment:

• Goatfell
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Same in Switzerland.. A rucksack is a handy thing to take on your daily commute because apart from laptop and other bits and bats, you have room for the odd too-good-to-be-missed bargain, and you still have two hands free for shopping bags.
    Another thing I liked about the German and Swiss supermarkets was the facility to remove and recycle any excess(ive) packaging just after the checkouts.

That and being able to buy bottled beer in crates with a refundable deposit.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Also the thing that amuses me is in M&S food hall you have to pay for a carrier bag, but if you go and say buy tights in the clothes section they give you a massive plastic bag without asking. You actually have to refuse the bag.
    The food and non-food departments are pretty separate - something you often find in retailers. Ever tried paying for a John Lewis item at a Waitrose till?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    You know things like clothes and shoes?

They come in plastic carrier bags as well when you buy them in shops. (Though some shops try not to give you bags but it doesn't work when you haven't got a clean one and the item isn't wrapped so you have no way of not getting it dirty.)

So guess what I use for rubbish bags after I re-used some of them for carrying sports kit etc?

Point is I don't need the cr*ppy supermarket one use bags when I have re-useable bags plus bags from buying clothing.

Also the thing that amuses me is in M&S food hall you have to pay for a carrier bag, but if you go and say buy tights in the clothes section they give you a massive plastic bag without asking. You actually have to refuse the bag.
    And I thought I was a ranter!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    So isnt it best that you use the least amount of plastic, like those in a free bag for your rubbish? If they have more than one use, like carrying your food home and being rubbish bags, isnt that better than bin liners which only get one use?
    You know things like clothes and shoes?

They come in plastic carrier bags as well when you buy them in shops. (Though some shops try not to give you bags but it doesn't work when you haven't got a clean one and the item isn't wrapped so you have no way of not getting it dirty.)

So guess what I use for rubbish bags after I re-used some of them for carrying sports kit etc?

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    So if the supermarkets aren't interested in the advertising, why do they print their name on the bags?

I take grest pleasure in shoping in, say M&S and, when being asked if I need a bag, producing an ASDA one and saying 'No thanks, I've got one'.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Not to put shopping in.

To put rubbish in, wrap nappies or pick up dog mess yes you need plastic bags.
    So isnt it best that you use the least amount of plastic, like those in a free bag for your rubbish? If they have more than one use, like carrying your food home and being rubbish bags, isnt that better than bin liners which only get one use?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Indeed, I still have rucksacks and holdalls that Ive had for over a decade. However only hobo's shop with a rucksack
    They are called cyclists and students.

Granted some students who are also cyclists look like hobos, but a lot of cyclists are people with jobs including professional ones who happen to cycle to and from work and stop at the supermarket on the way home.

I beg to differ, you do need plastic bags.
    Not to put shopping in.

To put rubbish in, wrap nappies or pick up dog mess yes you need plastic bags.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X