• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "50% tax rate is damaging the economy."

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I agree it isn't fair but I don't believe it's harming the economy as they say it is.
    I'll think about it over a pint of Guiness - every little helps the economy!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It's way too much - more than half of earned money taken as direct tax. Not even in communist USSR they did such tulip.
    I agree it isn't fair but I don't believe it's harming the economy as they say it is.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I did. The original article itself states that their marginal rate of tax is 58% after NI. That includes employers NI.
    It's way too much - more than half of earned money taken as direct tax. Not even in communist USSR they did such tulip.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    It is, read up on it:
    I did. The original article itself states that their marginal rate of tax is 58% after NI. That includes employers NI.

BTW, effective rate of tax is different than marginal rate. Marginal rate = rate of tax on additional income. Effective rate = total tax paid / total income.
    Last edited by doodab; 1 March 2012, 21:43.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    There effective tax is not around 70%
    It is, read up on it:

Factor into this NI (employee and employer) and true tax rate is around 70% for those people who are not even in 50% bracket.

Source: BBC News - If we can have a single benefit, why not a single tax?

Taking more than half in direct income taxes from what people earn is taking the piss and as it appears won't contribute that much extra anyway.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    It's pissing off a lot of people who have money and who already contribute a lot - for some of them with NI factored in their effective tax is easily around 70% (due to anomaly of removing personal allowance for earnings over £100k).

I can't remember them saying 40% was big problem but if those people say 50% tax is a problem them then situation should be addressed because it is those people who can and should drive economic recovery.
    Their marginal rate of tax is not around 70%, because one has to be earning > £150k to be paying 50% tax and the loss of personal allowance is a distant memory at that point.

One guy reckons he avoided making investments that would have employed 12 people because of it. To employ 12 people for 20 hours a week on minimum wage costs £90k. He runs care homes, so we can guess that the investment required was somewhat more than this, lets say £400k. Are we seriously to believe that he decided not to make this investment because the pay off on his investment was going to be taxed at 42.5% instead of 32.5% for the next few years? Or is it because the higher tax rate meant that he didn't have the money to invest because he needs to pay himself an extra £400k a year in order to maintain his standard of living? Neither of those scenarios seem very plausible to me.
    Last edited by doodab; 1 March 2012, 21:29.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Maybe you could follow Mr. Cameron on Twitter.
    I lead, not follow.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    It's pissing off a lot of people who have money and who already contribute a lot - for some of them with NI factored in their effective tax is easily around 70% (due to anomaly of removing personal allowance for earnings over £100k).

I can't remember them saying 40% was big problem but if those people say 50% tax is a problem them then situation should be addressed because it is those people who can and should drive economic recovery.
    + 1

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    All taxpayers should be listened to
    Maybe you could follow Mr. Cameron on Twitter.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I'm not disputing that, or suggesting the tax is "fair" (I've already said it isn't), but the issue at hand is whether the 50p tax rate is harming the economic recovery, and I don't think it is harming the recovery in fact it might even be helping it along.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    We are talking about income tax here anyway, quote: "The group that pays the 50p tax rate pays 28% of all income tax"
    I'm not disputing that, or suggesting the tax is "fair" (I've already said it isn't), but the issue at hand is whether the 50p tax rate is harming the economic recovery, and I don't think it is harming the recovery in fact it might even be helping it along.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I said across all taxes which of course includes consumption taxes which hit the poor far harder. % of income paid as tax by the poorest 10% is about 46%.
    Well, naturally such %-tage as proportion of income would be higher for poor people and pensioners, that's by definition because of fixed cost of living, what do you propose to fix that - print money to make everybody "rich"?

We are talking about income tax here anyway, quote: "The group that pays the 50p tax rate pays 28% of all income tax" -

Source: George Osborne 'must abandon folly of 50p tax' - Telegraph

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Now show me the link to prove that 10% lowest taxpayers contribute 46% of income tax because I call BS on this one.
    I said across all taxes which of course includes consumption taxes which hit the poor far harder. % of income paid as tax by the poorest 10% is about 46%.

http://clients.squareeye.net/uploads...cuts%20WEB.pdf

Now show me the link that says these 500 odd people pay 30% of the income tax in the UK

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Across all taxes, the top 10% of earners pay ~34% and the lowest 10% around 46%. Who should we listen to?
    All taxpayers should be listened to and offered reduction in taxes through more effective usage of money - Govt should learn how to provide more for less.

Now show me the link to prove that 10% lowest taxpayers contribute 46% of income tax because I call BS on this one.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I think all income taxes should be reduced, especially on lower end of earnings to make sure working pays better than being on benefits however people who pay 30% of total income tax in UK have got the right to have an opinion about it and their opinion should be listened to because they contribute so much tax.
    Across all taxes, the top 10% of earners pay ~34% and the lowest 10% around 46%. Who should we listen to? Should we still listen to them if their opinion is contradicted by observable facts?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if they choose to spout bollocks then everyone else is entitled to be of the opinion they are spouting bollocks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X