• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best destination when abandoning ship"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I see Britain has scored two votes.

Nice to see snaw and Benn0 taking part.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    In that case, since they're both currently in the UK, far far away might not seem so bad after all.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black
    My only warning against moving to NZ/Aus, as nice as they might be to visit, would be not to forget how far away they are from the rest of the world.
    Another would be the possibility of running into Mailman and Chico on one of their gay blading holidays.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Fortune Green
    Think twice about New Zealand!!
    Don't imagine such things are any more a concern than in the UK. I remember reading an article not too long along reporting that there have been large rises in STDs over the past few years, supposedly because the doom/gloom warnings of the AIDs epidemic have gradually lost their impact in the west.

My only warning against moving to NZ/Aus, as nice as they might be to visit, would be not to forget how far away they are from the rest of the world.

Remember years ago watching a documentary suggesting that 50% of Brits move back within 5 years simply because of that reason.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Bitbucket
    Having lived in many countries (Telecom/Satalite contractor)
    Singapore flippin marvelous but as virtually everyone else is Chineese hard to meet people , not that there is anything wrong with Chineese but they do stick with there own and missus wanted to meet people with similar background. Also not very cheap average (non govt owned house ) about 3500 sing dollar (1000 quid per month) rental.
    I've spent about 2 months in Singapore over the past 12 and thought the place was fantastic. Food is brilliant and very cheap, loads of shopping (if you're into that). I do n't really think that the chinese stick to themselves.. theres just so many they have little choice. Its like saying the English in England stick to themselves! Seriously though, if you're friendly then they're friendly back and always polite (Even the kids )
    Buying an apartment - similar to UK prices but the standard of living over there is way and above better than here. Singapore makes the UK seem like a 3rd world country in comparison. Very well organised too, huge queues which at first look like they'll last 3 hours disappear in 20 minutes.
    Major downside is the intense competition for jobs. Unless you have got some 1st class experience here or very good contacts there then don't even attempt it, you'll probably get less than £20k a year when and if you do land a job. They import a lot of cheap skilled workers.
    Upside, cheap flights to the rest of asia so if you do get connected you can go jetting off working all over that region and very good ties to Australia so again good travel possibilities if you get the right job.
    The only thing i missed in Singpore - Proper english food (to be fair, no where else in the world has bacon and sausages like you get here) and proper pubs

Originally posted by Bitbucket
    India ... import stuff like beer unless you can drink Kingfisher or Tiger beer
    Tiger beer is imported to India... Its Singaporean!

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    If you are really hard up and you like somewhere small and cosy there is always sealand http://www.sealandgov.com/

Bit small, isn't it.

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman
    I can´t remember voting but the Med gets mine. Over 30ºC here today in Madrid, Girlies been in tanga mode for ages.
    Is Madrid on the Med?

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Switzerland...

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Wos the catch?
    If you don't get on with your neighbours, or they just don't like big green lizards, they can hold a local mini referendum and kick you out.

Democracy at work.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    I can´t remember voting but the Med gets mine. Over 30ºC here today in Madrid, Girlies been in tanga mode for ages.

Leave a comment:

• Emperor Dalek
    replied
    Even the muslims on bloody Rockall are getting all arsey...

Rockall's Muslims turn on Missy Baad

Condo-sleezza Pilaf Rice, US Secretary of State and aka "Missy Baad", landed at Rockall International Airport yesterday amid tight security on the final leg of her round the world brown-nosing tour, which has received acerbic criticism as being heavy on photo opportunities and very light on discussion.

The motorcade route was lined with angry anti-war protesters from Rockall's predominantly Muslim al Fatwa housing estate who shouted abuse and pelted Rice's limousine with handfuls of ripe guillemot shi*t.

Meeting with leaders of the sacred islet's Muslim community at the Hall's Ledge football stadium, Rice, sporting a deep sun tan from her recent desert battlefields walkabout, attempted to justify the US military position in Iraq.

"These poor people, the Kurds, the Sunni and Chers, and the tulipes, have had their political ambitions stifled for years under the tyranny of Saddam's dictatorship. Now, since we've liberated the country, they're free to engage each other in a good old-fashioned civil war and sort their differences out once and for all. That's the true definition of Western democracy."

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    If you are really hard up and you like somewhere small and cosy there is always sealand http://www.sealandgov.com/

Anyone got a list of any place not claimed to be under the jurisdiction of another sovereign entity?
    Well there is always Rockall

Nominally British, but any tax man that makes it out that far has my admiration.

And as the national slogan says "There's **** all in Rockall"

Incidentally, it would seem that Threaded has been moonlighting judging from this article in the erudite and well informed Rockall Times
    Last edited by DaveB; 17 May 2006, 15:48.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    All the benefits of the UK? Good browsing bookshops, range of ethnic restaurants, cinemas showing good films (not just latest Hollywood), cheap flights to many countries .... or is it what Chandler called a "mail-order" place: anything you can get there, you can get better by mail order?

Being a family guy I was thinking more along the lines of schools, medical care, culture and language, employment etc. But yes, IoM does have most of those things as well. Including over 100 restaurents for starters, 2 cinemas etc.

Leave a comment:

• Bitbucket
    replied
    UK soverign

Nope think UK is under US jurisdiction

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied

Anyone got a list of any place not claimed to be under the jurisdiction of another sovereign entity?
    The UK?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    In which case the Isle of Man becomes the location of choice. All the benefits of the UK, but far lower taxes
    All the benefits of the UK? Good browsing bookshops, range of ethnic restaurants, cinemas showing good films (not just latest Hollywood), cheap flights to many countries .... or is it what Chandler called a "mail-order" place: anything you can get there, you can get better by mail order?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X