• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Dear: Blair backs nuclear power plans"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Gold Dalek
    You're 1st on my list Gumby

Leave a comment:

• Gold Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    It has to go critical or nothing much happens...

Would have thought a Dalek would know that...
    You're 1st on my list Gumby

You KNOW what I meant

Leave a comment:

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    The waste is to be vitrified and buried in deep UK mines. Problem solved.
    That'll be right on top of your pad, eh Lucifer?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    I think the holes are still there.

As a matter of interest:
    Most were producing long after Maggie went, just without so many men. Look up Long Wall Mining you will see how the workforce can be reduced and production can be increased. I worked for a firm that made the kit, wicked stuff writing software for real tonka toys.
    Nope, there are 6 deeps mines still in production today and 2 of those are marked for closure. In a previous life I worked in the Govt regulatory body that runs whats left of the coal industry and it's legacy, and belive me once a mine is closed it can never be reopened. The shafts are filled and the tunnels below ground collapse within a few months. The method of mining itself means that the mine workings themselves are inherantly unstable away from the main roads and working faces and even they require constant maintenance to keep them operating.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Not really, the pits were not mothballed, they were closed (and allowed to collapse).

Leave a comment:

• Gold Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    Except we dont have any deep mines anymore. Maggie closed them all.
    Can't we outsource the disposal to India?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB

As a matter of interest:
    Most were producing long after Maggie went, just without so many men. Look up Long Wall Mining you will see how the workforce can be reduced and production can be increased. I worked for a firm that made the kit, wicked stuff writing software for real tonka toys.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    We already have 2 stations housing 4 reactors at Heysham, I cant see another Station harming property prices. A ten year build is going to do a world of good for local business and they might even get round to building the bypass we need.

There could even be work for the Gunman if they decide to upgrade software control.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Dungeness already has two so no one is going to notice a third, fourth, fifth ......

Leave a comment:

• Gold Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Build it on stilts. Of the sturdiest oak, naturally.
    So should the reactor go critical and melt down, it would drop harmlessly into the sea... what a good safety tip!

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Might be a good idea to slap on a bit of yacht varnish as well.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Gold Dalek
    - only problem is, if the sea levels do rise as predicted Dungeness will be under water

Leave a comment:

• Gold Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    I thought New Lie didn't like nuclear power ?

Seems they changed their mind...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4987196.stm

I wonder where the 20 new nuclear power stations will be situated ? wonder what effect they'll have on the local house prices ?

Milan.
    The easiest option would be to double up on existing sites - I know Dungeness is coming to the end of its lifespan and one plan mooted was to build a new reactor while the old one is decommisioned - only problem is, if the sea levels do rise as predicted Dungeness will be under water

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X