• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Threaded - Denmark

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Threaded - Denmark"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Public Holidays in Denmark 'til 2010

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    You are right, it's small. But as you said, the best bit was the walk (and a nice breakfast at the cafe near the church).

There was a massive ship parked there - the Blue Moon.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    It is called, and I have previously warned you, the 'little mermaid', because it is little and a mermaid.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth
    I nearly tripped over that crappy little mermaid. Seen bigger gnomes in garden centres.
    That was also a dissapointment for me as well, I thought someone had stolen the original and put in place a kind of joke, what a let down.

The other let down was the red light district which amounted to a few grubby rather sinister back streets, a kind of street of shame if you like.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 6 June 2006, 11:54.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I nearly tripped over that crappy little mermaid. Seen bigger gnomes in garden centres.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    That restaurant Grønnegade sounds very nice, hyperD. I shall mark that down for closer examination next time I visit. What was the highlight of the menu for you?
    It's a good one - not Michelin starred but, according to the concierge, something the owners are not particularly fussed about applying for.

We had the Season menu - I've just seen it on the website - my personal favourite was:

Breast of canette from Mireal with marinated rhubarb,
    saucisse of the duck and foam of terragon - morrel stuffed with confit and foie gras served with pommes grand de mere

My wife liked the

Vanilla panna cotta with mint gele and sorbet of lemon -
    lemoncream and chiffon of buttermilk with white chocolate and mascapone in crispy caramel -
    terrine of lemon served with Italian meringue

I'm afraid we wimped out on a really good wine as they were fairly expensive so we settled for

2001 Merlot,Eden Valley,Heggies Vineyard

which I've had before.

Going to attack the farm shop's rhubarb now...

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    That restaurant Grønnegade sounds very nice, hyperD. I shall mark that down for closer examination next time I visit. What was the highlight of the menu for you?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Came back from Copenhagen - very nice - thanks for the suggestions threaded and LB. Wifey has a little upset as it was a holiday on Monday and so the shops were closed.

Didn't manage to get to any of the restaurants suggested LB as they were booked up (we should have booked on Friday evening) but went to the Grønnegade instead - lovely. We had a 6 course taster meal.

http://www.groennegade.dk/

Tivoli a bit like Thorpe Park without the chavs. Spent most of our time out in some of the bars and restaurants, saw the changing of the guard in Amalienborg, there was a parade in the Strøget of scantily clad women in costumes and lots of morris dancers. I'm sure I spied threaded in there somewhere...

Copenhagen definitely appeared to be more chav free and cleaner than London although prices were as high. Food quality, even in the cafes, was very good - seafood very good. Saw the little mermaid and

Depressed within 3 minutes of leaving business class - the queues at immigration were beyond belief as was the idiot at the Heathrow car park barrier insisted he didn't realise you needed to pay the ticket before leaving...I mean FFS, it's even written in Punjabi...

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Thanks threaded & Lucifer!!

Hopefully confirming this weekend...

Lucifer Box: went to the farm this week and cut my own asparagus - hollandaise sauce as well as black pepper and butter within 2 hours of cutting - lovely.

Now on the last of it so making a creamy soup.

My urine smells so bad that I feel I've got 14 different variants of NSU...

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus
    If you add "and pies" to that, there really is only one candidate.
    Oh, yes, the only Fish'n'chip shop I've found over so far is in Bakken. They do pies.

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Who wants to go to Copehagen to eat curry, Japanese food and hotdogs?
    If you add "and pies" to that, there really is only one candidate.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    The Danes changed the tax rules retrospectively thereby making them bankrupt, and so now the Queen has them.
    Sh1t, for a second there I thought you were talking abotu England!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Who wants to go to Copehagen to eat curry, Japanese food and hotdogs?

hyperD, try either of these. I can highly recommend them both for an excellent taste of modern Danish cuisine:

Gastronomique is in the middle of a lovely park and is quiet and relaxed. The turbot (which is a personal favourite of mine) is superb and my dining companion at the time highly commended the lobster.

Kong Hans Kaelder is in a fabulous old mediaevel building and I believe has a Michelin star these stars. Has some of the freshest seafood I have ever tasted. I had some fantastic scallops there.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    Thanks!

Any good restaurants you can recommend (inc. local food)?
    In Tivoli is Groften (you will need a reservation, but normally only a few hours in advance), all the rest in and around are pretty poor, and some totally awful, apart from an Indian near the Circus on ?Axeltorv? (but you generally need a reservation there as well).

Down in Nyhavn they are all separate restaurants. Be careful though as at least one has only one choice on it's menu, so you have to find a menu that suits everyone, and then find if there is somewhere to sit, which can be a challenge.

Up Vesterbrogade, a bit of a walk, and hard to find unless you see it's picture on the net, is Restaurant Tokyo, which I frequent regular, and does real Japanese food (you generally need a reservation of a few days, and for my favourite dishes maybe a week or so).

Others I would recommend are either outside the city, such as the Rib Hus, my favourite in the centre of Roskilde, or have long waiting lists such as Kommandanten in Copenhagen (which is real good and the flower arrangements museum across the road is well worth a visit, if you don't mind paying to look at flower arrangements).

For Danish food: Ida Davidsen does these Danish open sandwiches, La Glace on Stroget does Danish pastries.

Then there are those 'Polsehorn' wagons...

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    When was the last time the mermaid was stolen/decapitated?
    Last I heard was 2003, someone drilled a hole and filled it with low grade explosive and blew her off the rock. Earlier this year someone superglued a dildo into her free hand.

The point of the little mermaid is not the statue itself but the walk to see it. It's one of those existentialist things. Sadly many just take the bus there, look at it, and off again, so miss all the really interesting things to see.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X